Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
mbtjones

Playoff Roster

So, the playoff roster deadline is on Monday by 1:00pm. Looks like Brent Tamane maybe a keeper. If he stays...who do you think will have to go?

I think Brent Tamane has a great chance of making the playoff roster.

Here are the obvious ones making the playoff roster:

Goalies: Marco Emond and Kyle Rank    2

Defense: Andrew Smale, Mike Kavanagh, and Corey Toy    6

I believe Kyle Frieday will also make the playoff roster but in my opinion, it is not a given for Brock Sawyer and Aaron Atwell. Craig Cole could possibly earn a spot on defense so coach has some decisions to make on defense. If it were me, I would keep Frieday, Sawyer, and Cole and drop Atwell. Sawyer has one of the worst plus minuses on the team but he has been with the Antz all season and knows the systems very well and has played well lately in my opinion. Atwell has his share of turnovers in our end and hasn't shown me much lately while I like what I see from Cole.

Forwards: Josh McQuade, Bobby Reed, Derek Elliott, Brandon Richardson, John Clewlow, Ben Contini, Brett Liscomb, Anthony Bergin, Kyle McNeill    10

In my opinion, Tyler Matheson will be the odd man out and Brent Tamane will be on the playoff roster as a forward.

I would have to agree with the offensive picks, but then again Tamane sat out last night and Matheson played (im not sure why). The defence is going to be where coach has some thinking to do. With Frieday sitting out the last game and Atwell sitting out the game last nights game theres no telling. I also like what I have seen from Cole however I also know he has some injury issues. Its not going to be easy but that why he gets the big buck!! 

Tamane played tonight and scored while Liscomb (who scored last night) sat out....I think the coach was trying to get a look at some different players and line combinations to help make his final selections.

It will be interesting to see who he selects....I still say Matheson is the one who needs to go offensively and Atwell defensively.

We kept Matheson, only reason I can think of is so he can drop the gloves when we want to keep McNeill skating (even thought he's not much of a fighter). I will say he does not fit the fast pace that has the Antz rolling once more nor has he realy contributed alot of numbers to the offence. Thought he was a better D - man.  

Figured the defence would remain the same with Cole's injury.

Bottom line will have to back Coach, he got us here after all ! 

It looks like point streak ect are wrong. Todays Fayetteville Observer says we signed Cole, which means we let Atwell and Tamane go. I still can't figure the Matheson thing out, Tamane was working well and has more points in his two 3 game tryouts than Matheson does in 29 games.

# PLAYER P GP G A PTS +/- PIM PP PPA SH SHA GWG SHOTS S%

25 Matheson, Tyler LW 29 1 0 1 -11 36 0 0 0 0 0 31 .03

28 Tamane, Brent LW 5 4 2 6 +5 4 0 0 0 0 1 12 .333

Edited by Red Head Antz Fan

Not surprised or upset about Atwell being let go....Cole is the better choice on defense in my opinion.

I do struggle with keeping Matheson and letting Tamane go, especially since Tamane has done so well against his former team the Havoc and we are playing them in the first round. Matheson has a poor plus/minus on a team that has a good plus/minus overall and Tamane was scoring goals which is something Matheson has not done much of at all....we shall see how it all plays out.

I think it was more about the fact that Tyler is one of the guys that came in worked hard and helped get us here ... I won't second guess Coach Mark right now, because he has done some good things so far!!