Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

JMC-STL

SPHL Arena Photos

56 posts in this topic

My wife & I (or a couple of times just me) have taken road trips to nearly 2 dozen minor-league hockey venues over the last 3 seasons.  I've been snapping digital photos of the interior spaces - and an occasional exterior shot - of most of these arenas as something to help us remember our visits.  See below a link to some photos of each of the five current SPHL arenas that we've visited so far.

•  Columbus Civic Center (Columbus Cottonmouths)

•  Knoxville Coliseum (Knoxville Ice Bears)

•  Landers Center (Mississippi RiverKings)

•  Peoria Civic Center-Carver Arena (Peoria Rivermen)

•  U.S. Cellular Coliseum (Bloomington Thunder)

Please feel free to add your own arena photos to this thread, either as links like I did or as embedded images.  I'd be interested in seeing those rinks I haven't been able to visit.  Who knows, I might just be inspired to schedule another road trip (or five).

You are also welcome to poke around the remaining photo sets in my Flickr collection for pictures of other arenas in other leagues.  I hope you enjoy.

• Like 7

That's pretty cool!

You need to add the Von Braun Center, the Cajundome and the Mississippi Coast Coliseum to your list. 

... You need to add the Von Braun Center, the Cajundome and the Mississippi Coast Coliseum to your list. 

Huntsville ... maybe.  A 7-ish hour drive from St. Louis, I might be able to convince my wife to join me on that one.  The 10 to 11-hour (or more) drives to southern LA or the MS Gulf Coast, I'd be on my own.  She's still got "that look" since I dragged her on a 3-day weekend STL-Knoxville-Southaven-back home road trip last season.  Even if we can manage the expense of flying (which we did twice last season for two ECHL games each trip), I've still gotta pick my spots more carefully from here on out.  :unsure:

I'll have to see if I can find my pics of the beach on the Gulf from the steps of the MCC. Maybe that'll help.

Knoxville is very old and run down but definitely an old school barn.  Yeah it's not modern but it's a throwback minor league hockey atmosphere.

Awards

Knoxville is very old and run down but definitely an old school barn.  Yeah it's not modern but it's a throwback minor league hockey atmosphere.

My only complaints a/b the K-Coliseum were: (1) the bottom of the wooden seat I was sitting in was warped (I'm guessing from years of fans stepping on it to vault the railing & dash out the door to take a smoke between periods); (2) the aforementioned smoke blowing in the arena door directly behind me; and (3) the ice surface is too small for players to gain any significant speed in puck movement up or across the ice.  Otherwise, my wife & both enjoyed the hockey atmosphere and the hometown folks were very friendly.

#3 is part of why other teams have hated playing here. It ain't much, but it's home.

• Like 1

I hope you make a trip down to Lafayette this season,the Cajundome is a nice arena.

Edited by PredsFanFromLa

Awards

I hope you make a trip down to Lafayette this season,the Cajundome is a nice arena.

Having just last night started lining up & purchasing game tickets for a St. Louis-Fort Wayne-Toledo-Kalamazoo-Chicago-back to St. Louis 1,100-mile round-trip roadway journey for next March, I reckon that'll be the one 'n' only butt-numbing hockey road trip my wife & I will be taking this season (presuming she even agrees to ride along rather than flying and meeting me at each arena).  But if y'all promise to keep the hockey fresh in Lousiana, there's always next season.  :2thumbsup:

• Like 3

Awesome job, JMC! In this photo, you can see my seats. The guy in the yellow shirt is sitting in row A of section 111. To his right are the stairs that separate sections 111 and 110. My seats are the first three in row A of section 110. You can see, from left to right, my daughter, my wife, and me (in the gray shirt) in this picture.

8468895773_3af68cc586_b.jpg

I wish I had known you were there! If you're ever at the Landers Center again, please let me know so we can meet in person!

Awards

It is a long drive but you should come to Fayetteville....the arena isn't as nice as Bloomington, but its a good place to play. Much nicer that Augusta. I had the opportunity to go to an away game there last season, Antz played good and won 3-2 but the arena was awful, looked like it was one hard storm away from falling down....Yes the outside looked nice/decent but the walls on the inside looked god awful. 

I looked at your picks of the arenas, I really like Bloomington's and Peoria's....hoping to go there this season and maybe next year I can hit only of the others, maybe COL....

Awards

My wife & I (or a couple of times just me) have taken road trips to nearly 2 dozen minor-league hockey venues over the last 3 seasons.  I've been snapping digital photos of the interior spaces - and an occasional exterior shot - of most of these arenas as something to help us remember our visits.  See below a link to some photos of each of the five current SPHL arenas that we've visited so far.

•  Columbus Civic Center (Columbus Cottonmouths)

•  Knoxville Coliseum (Knoxville Ice Bears)

•  Landers Center (Mississippi RiverKings)

•  Peoria Civic Center-Carver Arena (Peoria Rivermen)

•  U.S. Cellular Coliseum (Bloomington Thunder)

Please feel free to add your own arena photos to this thread, either as links like I did or as embedded images.  I'd be interested in seeing those rinks I haven't been able to visit.  Who knows, I might just be inspired to schedule another road trip (or five).

You are also welcome to poke around the remaining photo sets in my Flickr collection for pictures of other arenas in other leagues.  I hope you enjoy.

Just map-quested Fayetteville for u....the shortest trip is 13 hrs 40 mins (842 miles)....it will take you through Lexington, KY and Charleston, WV before going south through VA into Greensboro, NC...... and the longest is 14 hrs 14 mins (823 miles)...It will take you to Lexington, KY and go straight to Greensboro, NC.....the last one is still 14 hrs (862-863 miles).....it will take you to Nashville TN, then into Knoxville, TN then through Ashville, NC and Hickory, NC....then back to Greensboro, NC before reaching Fayetteville. but mile wise you are looking at 800+ miles either way u go...

Awards

It is a long drive but you should come to Fayetteville....the arena isn't as nice as Bloomington, but its a good place to play. Much nicer that Augusta. I had the opportunity to go to an away game there last season, Antz played good and won 3-2 but the arena was awful, looked like it was one hard storm away from falling down....Yes the outside looked nice/decent but the walls on the inside looked god awful. ...

I've got a NC/SC loop hockey road trip plan already mapped out for a future season.  It should be easier to convince my wife to join me down/over there once I drag her on this season's IN-OH-MI-IL road trip in March.  After that adventure, she'll be much happier to fly into Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte & drive a rental car to several games in warm(er) weather.

My visit last season to Columbus was supposed to be the front end of a Georgia hockey trip, with a RiverHawks home game to be my second stop.  But that was when their ice plant sprung a leak & they moved to the local community rink with restricted ticket distribution.  So I saved myself a trip across the state & did some South Central GA outdoor tourism stuff instead.  I still want to visit Duluth for a Gwinnett Gladiators game; maybe next season.

Besides making my hockey road trips more memorable, I've snapped & posted these arena interior photos for exactly the reason I'm pointing y'all to them now.  When my wife & I started attending minor league hockey games in other cities three seasons ago, I became quickly frustrated with the scarcity of building interior photos around the internet that could help me determine sightlines from sections & rows shown on 2-D arena seating charts (from which I was choosing tickets to purchase either on-line or by phone).  Each arena layout is different, and it's difficult to gauge distance from the ice surface & possible sight obstructions in the seating areas just from seating charts. NHL arena operators and 3rd-party ticket sellers like Stub Hub offer really handy "view from your seat" features for just this purpose, but there's no such thing that I've found for minor league hockey venues.  So I've taken a point-n-shoot camera with me to the majority of the arenas we've visited, and tried to focus on overall arena layout & views of the ice from where we sat in each building.  Most of my photo snapping is done prior to games, so you'll notice very small numbers of fans in the seats (though in some cities the crowd hasn't gotten much larger after the puck dropped).  But I prefer the open-seat views to provide a better idea of sightlines from individual sections & rows.  My personal seating preference is a lower tier seat but one that lets me see most of the ice surface above the rink glass; so my arena end photos attempt to capture the height of the surrounding glass relative to the slope of the seating layout.  It's not a perfect scheme, but I think it helps someone who's never visited the arena.

If anyone has suggestions for more useful photo angles in my future travels, please post them in reply.  As long as you don't expect me to hang from the rafters for a top-down view - I get nosebleeds quite easily.  :dontgetit:

You should start a service that hockey clubs could subscribe to where you provide the "next best thing" to the view-from-your-seat thing they offer in the bigs.

There's a lot of things you could provide. Like opinions of seats from folks that sit on them. For instance, I really like our seats - front row announcers side looking over the glass at the face off circles in front of the visitors twice net. But they offer no view of what happens in the close corner at the opposite end of the ice. And a lot happens there - big hits, fights, etc.

You should start a service that hockey clubs could subscribe to ...

You could've stopped right there, Mac'.  In the lower minor leagues, we're talkin' about hockey clubs who gut office staffs & miss payroll & can't even afford to print tickets.  I'll stick with my love of the game, thank you.

Fine. After you win the PowerBall, you could do it as a free service - traveling to all the venues as needed.

How about some restroom shots.......to check on cleanliness.   :rolleyes:

It's my wife's camera.  The only "point-n-shoot" she lets me take into the mens room is my original equipment.  ^_^

You need to do a ny trip. Buffalo - Rochester - syracuse - Binghamton -Utica - glens falls - Albany - NYC

Awards

You need to do a ny trip. Buffalo - Rochester - syracuse - Binghamton -Utica - glens falls - Albany - NYC

Now THAT would be a challenging road trip!  But if I waited 'til next season, I could cross Glen Falls off the list (again).  And if I wait a year or two more, good chance Utica & Albany would be gone (again).  THEN it's gettin' down to a manageable itinerary.  :edited:

How about some restroom shots.......to check on cleanliness.   :rolleyes:

I tried that, now I'm "banned for life" and have to "register as a sex offender". Geez...

• Like 1

... In this photo, you can see my seats. The guy in the yellow shirt is sitting in row A of section 111. To his right are the stairs that separate sections 111 and 110. My seats are the first three in row A of section 110. You can see, from left to right, my daughter, my wife, and me (in the gray shirt) in this picture.

8468895773_3af68cc586_b.jpg

I wish I had known you were there! ...

My wife & I visited Landers before I was a member of this Board.  Besides, how would I have recognized you without your equine head gear?  :deadhorse:

My wife & I visited Landers before I was a member of this Board.  Besides, how would I have recognized you without your equine head gear?  :deadhorse:

Valid points, sir. I hope you make it down this way again so my wife and I can take you and your wife to dinner.

Awards

Valid points, sir. I hope you make it down this way again so my wife and I can take you and your wife to dinner.

I will keep your generous offer in mind, young man.  We could certainly use some hints on good places to dine around Southaven, as our visit to Fox & Hound last time down was disappointing at best.  You can't always trust those stars in the reviews.