Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

wasadognowabear

Ticket Prices Vs Echl

36 posts in this topic

So, after going to the game Friday night and watching the bears play flat on "Throwback" night (only throwback I could find was the music) and seeing what I spent to watch bad hockey.... I decided to do a little investigating. You can attend EVERY ECHL game around us for less that it costs to go to a Icebears game. Greeneville, Atlanta, Wheeling and Cinn are all less than the Icebears, some are almost half the cost of the cheapest ticket the Icebears offer. Is this the cities fault? Did the city jack rent up or does the ownership just expect people to pay it? That was one of the smallest crowds I have ever seen on a Friday night. Just wondering what is going on over there....

Awards Earned

... You can attend EVERY ECHL game around us for less that it costs to go to a Icebears game. Greeneville, Atlanta, Wheeling and Cinn are all less than the Icebears, some are almost half the cost of the cheapest ticket the Icebears offer. ....

As a long-time hockey roadtripper, I gotta ask you about your math: Are the ticket prices in those cities PLUS the cost of travel to watch games there still lower than attending a game in Knoxville?  Sometimes it's about charging - and paying - for the convenience of watching hockey near your own home.

Awards Earned

Fayetteville isn't much different with prices ranging from $21 - $15.  The same seats for SC Stingrays games range from $24 - $16.  That's not much of a difference in arenas with similar capacity....One would think in the SPHL that if you charge a little less, more people come and in the end you make more $$$.  I hope the SPHL isn't slowly becoming ECHL, in price of tickets.  I thought the goal of the SPHL was affordable hockey.

Awards Earned

I think the real goal is for it to be affordable to own and run an SPHL team since they haven't raised the salary cap once since the league started. You would think it move a little considering inflation and all.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

As a long-time hockey roadtripper, I gotta ask you about your math: Are the ticket prices in those cities PLUS the cost of travel to watch games there still lower than attending a game in Knoxville?  Sometimes it's about charging - and paying - for the convenience of watching hockey near your own home.

That is just ticket vs ticket. Not including travel.

Awards Earned

That is just ticket vs ticket. Not including travel.

Then I recommend you start saving money on the price of watching bad hockey by driving to Greenville, Atlanta, Wheeling and/or Cincinnati.  Safe travels.  :dontgetit:

Awards Earned

When the Rivermen have switched leagues, ticket prices didn't change much the first year. IHL to ECHL, Peoria used the extra money on promotions. T-shirt, winter hat, baseball caps, posters, and team picture give aways. The price dropped the next couple years before rising to the market price. I think the highest price in the AHL was $25 and lowest was $10. Peoria is now $21 and lowest is $11 for upper bowl above Zamboni entrance. There is a $10 ticket on special nights for lower bowl end seats.

Awards Earned

Then I recommend you start saving money on the price of watching bad hockey by driving to Greenville, Atlanta, Wheeling and/or Cincinnati.  Safe travels.  :dontgetit:

I think maybe you missed my point...nevermind. I see why these forums are dead.

Awards Earned

Either I missed your point, or you failed to make it.  But neither is sufficient to blame whatever state of these forums you perceive.  We're not that important, you & I.

Awards Earned

Wasadogandnowabear,   you made an excellent point that was fairly easily understood.  JMC raised questions that made no sense relative to your discussion.  In regards to ticket prices, I'll say I've been to multiple AHL and ECHL games over the past few years, and I've almost never paid as much or more than for an Ice Bears ticket.  That is comparing the typical lowest ticket price.  The only case I can recall paying more was $3 over an Ice Bears ticket for 4th row in the corner for an AHL game in an NBA arena.  The Ice Bears ticket cost has easily surpassed the value of the product.  I think it is starting to tell, though that is hard to separate whether a bad team or bad ticket prices is affecting it so far this year.  I'm assuming their advertising increased too.  Just look at all of the empty dasher boards and end zone ad space.

Awards Earned

It's all driven by the current market and economy as much as anything.

The concept I think that was missed by some in the ticket comparison is that those are the prices folks in various towns would pay to see their local team play, not that we would have to pay by traveling afar.

Awards Earned

Exactly! Macguy and cynical... That is what I was saying. I thought I made that clear but I guess not, anywho...my thought process is that echl games around us are cheaper to attend than a lower league game. Ticket vs ticket price. If you live in that town then you are watching a better quality version of hockey( or at least I would hope) for less money. I get the current market that macguy pointed out and it's a great point. It seems to me like the market is down for sure. When attendance has fallen off and the team isn't winning... It's hard to put people in the building( ask a speed fan, ugh) I WANT to support the team but I'm just not going to spend that kinda cash to watch bad hockey. Rising ticket prices and not getting what I perceive as a good value are the reason I gave up season tickets and I'm making more money now than I ever have. Anyway, my only point is that you can watch higher leagues for less money when it comes to ticket prices and that doesn't make sense.

Awards Earned

Exactly! Macguy and cynical... That is what I was saying. I thought I made that clear but I guess not, anywho...my thought process is that echl games around us are cheaper to attend than a lower league game. Ticket vs ticket price. If you live in that town then you are watching a better quality version of hockey( or at least I would hope) for less money. I get the current market that macguy pointed out and it's a great point. It seems to me like the market is down for sure. When attendance has fallen off and the team isn't winning... It's hard to put people in the building( ask a speed fan, ugh) I WANT to support the team but I'm just not going to spend that kinda cash to watch bad hockey. Rising ticket prices and not getting what I perceive as a good value are the reason I gave up season tickets and I'm making more money now than I ever have. Anyway, my only point is that you can watch higher leagues for less money when it comes to ticket prices and that doesn't make sense.

So how many games on average do you attend each year?

Awards Earned

Season ticket holder for the Cherokees for 4 seasons (they left town) missed maybe 10 games in the 4 seasons

Worked for the Knoxville Speed for the first 2 season( They left after 3rd season) and prob missed about 5 games the 3rd season.

Icebears.... Didn't hardly ever miss a game up till the last 2 season. Last year, I think I went to about 10 games. Only been to 2 this year.

Awards Earned

both I guess... I just don't want to spend 17 dollars a head, 5 to park to watch a team that isn't very good. Yes they won the championship last year, but they weren't very good all season.

Awards Earned

It has gotten more expensive, and it seems that the Franchise is more about retaining the fans they already have rather than trying to bring new ones in. And even then they're not good at doing that...I should know...

Rent on the Coliseum is certainly a factor in the ticket prices. Not to mention the parking.

It used to be I could go to a game with my wife/kids for less than $40. Including concessions. Now, that's a weekday special.

Diminishing returns. Aging arena, aging equipment, lack of support from the city to do anything about the aforementioned, and you pay more for it. It can only go so far, so long, and even a championship or two won't help at some point.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

I'll take all the shortcomings if there's value.  Anyone else think the Ice Bears continued addition to front office staffing could be a contributor to the escalating costs?  I think they are slightly bloated on personnel.  Director of Hockey Development?  Really?

Awards Earned

Just a thought as I've done NO research but what is the average attendance for the ECHL teams close by?  I'm guessing you have to price your tickets based on your average attendance to break even with payroll and expenses.  With the Icebears I believe average attendance is in the neighborhood of 1800-2000.  If the ECHL is averaging say 4000-5000 you might be able to be a bit more generous as far as lower prices.

Awards Earned

It seems to follow overall population numbers. Of those mentioned originally, Atlanta is averaging 4,748 this season. Cincinnati - 4,394. And Greenville is at 3,152.

But Wheeling is down at 2,639. Throw South Carolina in there at 2,908 and you have a couple of prime candidates for jumping to the SPHL to help lower costs (and give Fayetteville and Roanoke a couple of closer teams to play).

Awards Earned

Overall league attendance is about 3900 average for ECHL.  It is about 3100 or so for SPHL.  That can't really be a factor at that level of attendance difference.  The SPHL would have far lower operating costs in general.

Awards Earned

What if it's closer to 40%? (3999 ECHL / 2860 SPHL) That's a pretty big difference.

You can also factor in pricing based on what the market will bear.

Awards Earned

But Wheeling is down at 2,639. Throw South Carolina in there at 2,908 and you have a couple of prime candidates for jumping to the SPHL to help lower costs (and give Fayetteville and Roanoke a couple of closer teams to play).

Wheeling hockey has long been predicted as on its final legs, but a combined government/public partnership took over ownership of the Nailers a few years ago and they have seemed very determined to extend the 23-year history of ECHL hockey in the town.  Plus their continuing affiliation with the Pittsburgh Penguins organization appears to keep them on a firm standing in the NHL's player development structure.  The SPHL business model might ultimately be their only hope to keep a pro team on their ice, but such a change is not likely imminent.

Meanwhile in North Charleston, the Zucker Family team owners secured a promise of $500K in subsidies and a two-year lease extension from the city earlier this calendar year.  These actions were predicated on an intention to keep the ECHL in North Charleston for another 2 (and probably 3) seasons, so I don't see a switch to the SPHL being a near-term outcome there, either.

Awards Earned