Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

fred

Salary Cap

13 posts in this topic

If you were an Owner is there anybody in the league right now that you would risk breaking the cap for? I don't see one person dominating enough. Way back when there were guys like Swider, Sich, Patterson etc.

Awards Earned

Maybe Banfield and Pawlick only ones for me......or a 100% healthy McQuade (before his injury).

Awards Earned

I would like to see them raise the salary cap to $6,000 and have a 60 game season

• Like 2

Awards Earned

They tried a 60 game season back in 08-09 I think but went back to the 56 game because they lost money so I don't see it going up anytime soon. And a $400 a month increase of the cap wouldnt do much. Evenly that would be like $23 bucks or so per player. Now if the went as much as $7500-8000. That would make sense. The cap has been the same for as long a league has been operating yet inflation a raised everything except the money they pay the players.

Edited by ahousedivided

Awards Earned

Just for comparison, the ECHL plays 72 games per season and has a $12,400 weekly salary cap after the first month of the season.

But their operating costs are a lot higher as well.

Awards Earned

That's why this league has been so successful. We start raising salary cap with attendance staying the same will cause teams to fold.

Awards Earned

That's why this league has been so successful. We start raising salary cap with attendance staying the same will cause teams to fold.

Going to a $6,000 per week would only mean an extra $1,600 per month in expenses.  There really shouldn't be a problem generating extra fans but if you don't have a front office capable of 'effectively' marketing the games or having an inadequately staffed front office, you're attendance will no doubt remain stagnant.  Peoria, Huntsville, Pensacola and Knoxville are prime examples of staffs who know what works and have the staff to do so.

Awards Earned

If you were an Owner is there anybody in the league right now that you would risk breaking the cap for? I don't see one person dominating enough. Way back when there were guys like Swider, Sich, Patterson etc.

In my opinion, this year, no player worth breaking the cap. The guys you mentioned above were threats every shift, every game and produced big numbers, I just don't see it this year

Awards Earned

They tried a 60 game season back in 08-09 I think but went back to the 56 game because they lost money so I don't see it going up anytime soon. And a $400 a month increase of the cap wouldnt do much. Evenly that would be like $23 bucks or so per player. Now if the went as much as $7500-8000. That would make sense. The cap has been the same for as long a league has been operating yet inflation a raised everything except the money they pay the players.

SPHL has extended the season a couple weeks this year, to avoid the weekday games. I hope there are 10 teams next year or an even number, going forward. Teams make their money on Friday and Saturday, not Thursday and Sunday. Even number of teams and more weekends, teams shouldn't lose money with 2 more home games and 2 more travel games.

• Like 2

Awards Earned

I live in Wichita and have followed the Rivermen faithfully since the CHL folded and my favorite player ended up in Peoria. The ECHL is very expensive and many teams are struggling including our team here. I am very impressed with the working model that the SPHL has and it seems to be working well. I have seen many games and with 2 or 3 game series against the same team on a week end, the games are high energy, action packed, and just plain fun to watch. The hockey I see in the SPHL is actually more entertaining than what we have here in the ECHL and would actually rather watch one of Peoria's games than one of ours. I have been a long time STH here and I have even had some of my fellow long term STH say that they really enjoy watching SPHL hockey and would like to see us join the league. I think what you have in the SPHL is a business plan that allows teams to stay afloat at the same time putting a very entertaining brand of hockey out there to be seen. I would be hesitant to make too many changes and I think that the SPHL is headed for a big jump in expansion teams if left alone. Don't fix it if it ain't broke!!

• Like 1