Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Official " Evansville Hockey " Thread - Discuss Here

LAST- most expansion teams end up near the bottom of the league their 1st year in a league

Not in the minors they don't.

I can't tell you how many times expansion teams have gone far into the playoffs while the "veteran" teams become cellar dwellers. Saw it happen many a time in the ECHL's early days.

Especially this far down the food chain, it is possible to be an expansion team and win the championship.

I was on twitter and saw the "SinBin", they mentioned "Mustangs" since it is the "Ford Center".......

That might just satisfy the "Mustangs Maniacs."

Not in the minors they don't.

I can't tell you how many times expansion teams have gone far into the playoffs while the "veteran" teams become cellar dwellers. Saw it happen many a time in the ECHL's early days.

Especially this far down the food chain, it is possible to be an expansion team and win the championship.

case in point being the first year of the Mississippi Surge

How about this?

From 1942-1945, the Evansville Shipyard produced the greatest tonnage output of any inland shipyard. Rolling out 171 LST's at a rate of two per week earned them the Army Navy Production Award for Excellence. During those three years, over 70,000 worked there - peaking at 19,500 at one time. The total population of Vanderburgh County was less than 140,000 then. Like the Thunderbolts, this bit of history is worth recognizing.

I can think of two possibilities. The shipyard newspaper at the time was called The Invader. Call them the "Invaders"?

The other possibility would be any number of references to shipyard welders and riveters. Except maybe, "Riveters" itself. That homage to Rosie the Riveter is already taken, appropriately, by the New York team in the National Women's Hockey League.

TheInvader_Vol1.jpg    TheInvader.jpg    HockeyShipyardWelder.jpg

Nice work Mac. I would have no problem with either Invaders or Riveters.

• Like 1

I got another job that payed better the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

I like it! They have a team already in the ECHL called the Missouri Mavericks, I love their logo. Maybe we can make a logo that looks very similar but with the state of Indiana shape instead of Missouri shape and instead of the name the Mavericks, it could be the Mustangs!

What the what? There's only been one season of NA3HL Evansville Thunderbolts and that's this one, 2015-16. PA announcer for the Bolts is a volunteer position, so anything would pay better. And as of two days ago the PA announcer was on Facebook talking about the Bolts and was still a part of the organization. So, yea. 

Edited by Gibbie42

Thanks Gibbie, I was afraid I was really losing it by scratching my head on the "lost 14-15 Bolt season"

I would like to be one of the Moderators please. I just found out about this forum by one of my buddies down in Roanoke; I am loving it so far! Sooooo glad hockey will be returning to Evansville!

Just as an FYI: Moderators are chosen by the forum owner, and the potential candidate(s) will be approached at the appropriate time. For now, the admins (Volstate and myself) will oversee the task.

Understand that since this is a new city, and everyone in Evansville is "new" to us, we will monitor the forums to properly vet the person(s) we feel will best be capable to moderate the forum.

And before anyone asks, yes, we are soliciting requests for moderators of other forums, but since the teams have been in the league for a while, we will gauge their forum posting activity in those circumstances when we want to select a potential candidate.

Thanks!

... I served on an LST,How about Anphibs?

I'd be afraid too many fans would think the front office spelled "Amphibs" wrong.  :unsure:

• Like 1

Just submitted my entry in the name the team contest. Pretty simple process.

Wow , Public school spelling... :sad:

I actually had to do a web check to see if the "Anphibs" spelling meant something different.  To my surprise, it appears to be a widely used descriptor for the general group of US Army & USN amphibious vehicle veterans.  So I assumed it stands for: "Army-Navy Amphibs."  Very confusing, this English we claim as our own.  :unsure:

• Like 1

Dad-burned Yankee yammerin' is what that is, sho' nuff.

Look up "Missouri Compromise," son.  I'm as Reb as you & a side of grits.

I was on twitter and saw the "SinBin", they mentioned "Mustangs" since it is the "Ford Center".......

OK, let's work on this idea.

How about,

Cobra (different than cottonmouths)

Raptor

The good ole Pinto :2thumbsup:

Look up "Missouri Compromise," son.  I'm as Reb as you & a side of grits.

So you should agree with me.  :thumbsup2:

At least Evansville is in Southern Indiana.  :rolleyes:

Evansville Blue Belly,Haaa! As a Chevy fan ,I will not go see a Mustang team at the Ford Center... :censore: