Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Evansville Hockey

List Of Possible Team Names:

I really like the name and logo of the existing Thunderbolts. Aviators is a cool name too. They both have an historic relation to Evansville. The other three are so corny. 

Unless they know the NA3HL team is folding this summer, Thunderbolts seems unlikely.

Maybe not - evansvillethunderbolts.com was registered anonymously on 3/14/16 for a period of 5 years.

evansvilleaviators.com was registered by some guy in Roanoke on 3/15/16 for 1 year.

Possibly a squatter, or perhaps a company contracted to work on the website. I would think they'd want them to go with Pointstreak for hosting if possible, though.

From what I've heard, it does appear the new owner is leaning toward Aviators or Thunderbolts. I am also confused by why they'd even consider a name already in use, but it apparently isn't bothering him. My challenge with Aviators is that the game will be over before you finish chanting that. It's not easily shortened to anything either. Oh well.

It's not easily shortened to anything either

Av's?

From what I've heard, it does appear the new owner is leaning toward Aviators or Thunderbolts. I am also confused by why they'd even consider a name already in use, but it apparently isn't bothering him. ...

Maybe Mr. Hall has been in talks about a business relationship of some sort with the NA3HL team in town.  There could be advantages to both franchises from a local marketing standpoint, though having both teams playing primarily on weekend dates might dilute the fan base.  :unsure:

They could save money on transportation if they both play Peoria or Louisiana the same day, Huntsville even.

The FHL does that ... but only because one or the other team's buses is always broken down.

Maybe Mr. Hall has been in talks about a business relationship of some sort with the NA3HL team in town.  There could be advantages to both franchises from a local marketing standpoint, though having both teams playing primarily on weekend dates might dilute the fan base.  :unsure:

This is what I was thinking. The Thunderbolts have been talking up the new SPHL team at every opportunity. They are gushing about the new team and having "one hockey family" in Evansville. They have even gone as far as to link season tickets to the SPHL team on their facebook. Perhaps the Thunderbolts would become the SPHL team, with the junior team becoming the Junior Thunderbolts? Not terribly uncommon in the NA3HL. 

• Like 1

Agreed. I thought this was interesting:

please do not worry 'Bolts (and hockey in general) fans - games will not be so congested this year; will be very few instances of both us and new team playing at same time!!!!!!

Add one more clue.

From Fox Channel 19's coverage of the new coach announcement: A Familiar Face Returns to Town, in New Evansville SPHL Head Coach, Jeff Pyle

Evansville's new S-P-H-L team begins play in October, and as far as the new team's name is concerned, owner Mike Hall tells us the name *will not* be released until *after* the Icemen's season is over.

So, it will be at least April 10th.

Unless the Icemen make the playoffs. Which would require them passing Indy, Tulsa and Quad City in the standings. With 9 games remaining.

Add one more clue.

From Fox Channel 19's coverage of the new coach announcement: A Familiar Face Returns to Town, in New Evansville SPHL Head Coach, Jeff Pyle

So, it will be at least April 10th.

Unless the Icemen make the playoffs. Which would require them passing Indy, Tulsa and Quad City in the standings. With 9 games remaining.

Excuse me while I go down this rabbit hole, but it's even less likely than the numbers might imply on the surface. Quad City and Tulsa are battling it out for the 8th spot. With 63 and 61 games played, they're at 68 and 67 points respectively. The Icemen have 60 points with 3 games played. It's a long trek to jump two squads in that amount of time. Their window of opportunity all but shut when they lost two recent games to Quad City. Sadly for the Icemen, the news gets worse when you look at the remaining opponents and settings (just 2 games are at home). So who do they play? @Missouri (#1 in the ECHL), @Quad City, Fort Wayne twice (#2 in Conference), Cincy (#5 Conf), @Tulsa, @Allen 3 times (#2 in Conference).

Every one of them is ahead of the Icemen in the rankings, and as you can see, most by quite a bit. They've had a lot of success (relatively speaking) lately, and that's reflected in their 6-4 record over the last 10. But the math will catch up to them soon.

--

I hope if they go with Thunderbolts that they get an agreement to modify the existing squad to be "Jr". It'll avoid a lot of confusion all around, and hopefully foster a positive hockey community for both teams. I was given the impression that the decision is already made, and Mike's just waiting until the season ends to announce. So I doubt it will go much longer. I wouldn't even be stunned if they announced it after the Icemen's final home game on April 2nd.

Evansville's new S-P-H-L team begins play in October, and as far as the new team's name is concerned, owner Mike Hall tells us the name *will not* be released until *after* the Icemen's season is over.

Their season is over tonight. Are we getting close to an announcement?