Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Geary Fined For Obscene Gesture

Anybody gonna miss this guy?

Geary Fined for Obscene Gesture

TriState Homepage

The ECHL on Wednesday announced that Evansville Governor Ron Geary has been fined an undisclosed amount as a result of his actions following ECHL Game #956, Tulsa at Evansville, on April 2.

The original story:

IceMen Owner Caught Giving Fan the Finger - with video

TriState Homepage

EVANSVILLE, INDIANA -- A photo captured by a fan showing IceMen owner Ron Geary giving an obscene gesture has been making the rounds, an unfortunate ending to the team's eight-year tenure in the River City.

"It was kind of the exclamation point on what we've been thinking he's been thinking about the whole area all along," former IceMen fan Chris Jones said.

As a fan I find this stuff entertaining but as a professional it just can't happen. Punishment justified. ..

Just one more nail in the Owensboro IceMen coffin.  deaddeal.gif

I agree I don't see the ECHL making it in Owensboro

Bad press doesn't mean a thing to that guy, but losing any money is a gutpunch.

In case his juvenile behavior isn't bad enough; he's also lying about the situation. Geary was in a suite (on the attacking end) the whole night. Those of you who have been to the Ford Center know there's a good deal of separation between the lower seats and those suites. If someone in the crowd was heckling him, even once, a lot of people would've heard it, and I would've been one of them. It didn't happen. The man lies as easily as he breathes, and that's why he has disgusted so much of the fanbase.

Anybody gonna miss this guy?

Geary Fined for Obscene Gesture

TriState Homepage

The original story:

IceMen Owner Caught Giving Fan the Finger - with video

TriState Homepage

Not the best way to end an eight yr organization. Is he moving to Owensboro too? Or is he staying to join the SPHL?

The SPHL team coming on board next season has completely new ownership. If he brings the Icemen back to the ECHL in two years, it would be up (down?) the river.

Bad press doesn't mean a thing to that guy, but losing any money is a gutpunch.

In case his juvenile behavior isn't bad enough; he's also lying about the situation. Geary was in a suite (on the attacking end) the whole night. Those of you who have been to the Ford Center know there's a good deal of separation between the lower seats and those suites. If someone in the crowd was heckling him, even once, a lot of people would've heard it, and I would've been one of them. It didn't happen. The man lies as easily as he breathes, and that's why he has disgusted so much of the fanbase.

I agree. He stayed in the suite the entire evening until after the game. The fan admitted to yelling "Kiss My Arse" to him...something about 99% of the crowd would have also felt like saying. Even so, players and refs hear worse every single game, and would face suspensions and fines if they ever did that. Never an excuse for the owner to do it. 

If the finger didn't do in the Owensboro Icemen, yesterdays announcement that Mayor Ron Payne is not seeking re-election clearly did. Payne seemed to be the only person in Owensboro you wanted Ron Geary there. Anyone in their right mind knows Owensboro can't support professional hockey, and that it would merely be a thorn in the side of the new Evansville team. Geary never had any intentions of putting his money into the Sportscenter, and no one besides Payne would entertain city money. The only real question is if Geary gets his OTB prior to the end of Payne's tenure.

Edited by Hamboni

It's going to be funny when E-ville outdraws O-boro for hockey next year...

You recall O'boro is dark next season.

He's still allowed to laugh.

You recall O'boro is dark next season.

Yeah, it's going to be a huge disparity!

I fully expect that when neither option of arena pans out he will sell the team. My guess is the Icemen will become the ECHL version of the Springfield Falcons.

... My guess is the Icemen will become the ECHL version of the Springfield Falcons.

Comparing a franchise that has been in a city & a league for just 4 years (6 years if you add their CHL seasons) to a franchise who had a continuous presence in a city for 80 years is an ill-conceived notion.  But if you mean Mr. Geary will sell his franchise rights to an owner/ownership who will then move it to another city, then I agree.  As long as the ECHL is looking for another market to fill at that time.

Comparing a franchise that has been in a city & a league for just 4 years (6 years if you add their CHL seasons) to a franchise who had a continuous presence in a city for 80 years is an ill-conceived notion.  But if you mean Mr. Geary will sell his franchise rights to an owner/ownership who will then move it to another city, then I agree.  As long as the ECHL is looking for another market to fill at that time.

I think he meant the Icemen will end up there and become the ECHL Springfield Falcons. As far as I know, the team is still publicly listed for sale. 

That is exactly what I meant that the franchise will be sold to owners in Springfield, after a couple seasons of affiliation with Springfield the office up there is familar with Geary and his tactics so they know how to go into negotiations with him. The ECHL has expressed interest in 30 teams so they can try to have direct 30-30-30 ratio for affiliations. I would imagine they are salivating at the notion of adding a rich history market like Springfield.