Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

ChompNation

2017-18 Season Expansion Talk

28 posts in this topic

If there is any expansion talk for the 2017-18 season, discuss it here!

Awards

I just want my team back...

• Like 2

Awards

I know of two cities that have been talking about having a team in the SPHL for the 2017-18 season....

1. Florence, SC (Pee Dee): I have spoken to the owner of a Facebook and Twitter along time back on Twitter (https://www.facebook.com/PDPrideHockey/?fref=ts and https://twitter.com/PeeDeePride) account called "Pee Dee Pride". He claims to be the GM of the future team. I believe that he has an account on here, so if you (Pee Dee future owner) are reading this please share some more information about having a team. Awhile back he posted this "We are pleased to announce that the rights to the Pee Dee Pride name and logo will become official trademarks of Pee Dee Pride Hockey, Inc." They are working to have hockey in the SPHL for the 2017-18 season.

2. Biloxi, MS: Someone has stepped up and got the wheels rolling. His name is Stephen James and he says that hockey will be back in Biloxi for the SPHL's 2017-18 season. If you check out this facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Bring-Back-Our-Sea-Wolves-149712355172633/?fref=ts) where he is an admin on, he post updates and question for people to see. He just asked suggestions for the team name and said they cant use the "Sea Wolves" because it would cost a lot to get the name since its a former franchise.

ANYONE HAVE ANY NEWS?

Awards

Those 1,000+ on-line petition signatures need to be 1,000+ signatures on season-ticket holder checks.  THEN the return of hockey to Mobile can be taken as a serious sub-topic.

• Like 1

Mobiles arena isn't ready for hockey. They don't have chillers or dasher boards

In the video the guy who has started the petition said he has a couple of different investors interested, the investors are interested in having a team and building a NEW arena.

HERE IS THE ARTICLE: http://wkrg.com/2016/05/29/helping-hockey-back-to-mobile/

Also the civic center was supposed to be closing in April of 2016 but according to this news report plans have changed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQoeOnA1ac. They have delayed the closing until 2018.

Edited by ChompNation

Awards

I know of two cities that have been talking about having a team in the SPHL for the 2017-18 season....

1. Florence, SC (Pee Dee): I have spoken to the owner of a Facebook and Twitter along time back on Twitter (https://www.facebook.com/PDPrideHockey/?fref=ts and https://twitter.com/PeeDeePride) account called "Pee Dee Pride". He claims to be the GM of the future team. I believe that he has an account on here, so if you (Pee Dee future owner) are reading this please share some more information about having a team. Awhile back he posted this "We are pleased to announce that the rights to the Pee Dee Pride name and logo will become official trademarks of Pee Dee Pride Hockey, Inc." They are working to have hockey in the SPHL for the 2017-18 season.

2. Biloxi, MS: Someone has stepped up and got the wheels rolling. His name is Stephen James and he says that hockey will be back in Biloxi for the SPHL's 2017-18 season. If you check out this facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Bring-Back-Our-Sea-Wolves-149712355172633/?fref=ts) where he is an admin on, he post updates and question for people to see. He just asked suggestions for the team name and said they cant use the "Sea Wolves" because it would cost a lot to get the name since its a former franchise.

ANYONE HAVE ANY NEWS?

Hopefully the 348 people who used to go to the PeeDee games haven't moved or got old and died.

Pee Dee averaged 1,450 last in the league. Not great but not 348. Those are FHL #'s who leads in attendance :beer:

Awards

Pee Dee averaged 1,450 last in the league. Not great but not 348. Those are FHL #'s who leads in attendance :beer:

You sure? I just did it from memory so I could be wrong. But 1450 seems like a stretch.

You sure? I just did it from memory so I could be wrong. But 1450 seems like a stretch.

That's called CRS (Can't Remember :crap: ) :thumbsup2:

Awards

I remember that they would be the only team that could come into the league and not hurt the Havoc's chances of making the playoffs.

I heard the league is changing the rules so that all new teams must have the word "ice" in their names.

• Like 1

Awards

I heard the league is changing the rules so that all new teams must have the word "ice" in their names.

Does that mean Augusta can return, as long as they change the team name to "MeltedIce"?

• Like 2

I reckon Athens, Greece, has an equal chance of securing an SPHL franchise.  But if it plays in Peoria ...  :unsure:

Athens, IL is outside Springfield.......

Awards

I reckon Athens, Greece, has an equal chance of securing an SPHL franchise.  But if it plays in Peoria ...  :unsure:

SPHL championship series has been played in Peoria, but the SPHL championship has not stayed in Peoria :eyes:

• Like 1

Athens, IL is outside Springfield.......

Many towns in the US called Athens: Athens, Alabama; Athens, Georgia; Athens, Texas; Athens, Ohio; Athens, Illinois; Athens, Indiana; Athens, Maine;  Athens, New York; Athens, Pennsylvania; Athens, West Virginia; Athens, Wisconsin; Athens, Louisiana; Athens, Michigan.Some of them actually in the "footprint" of the SPHL. Some don't even have the population of the average attendance at an F(P)HL game.

• Like 1

Many towns in the US called Athens: Athens, Alabama; Athens, Georgia; Athens, Texas; Athens, Ohio; Athens, Illinois; Athens, Indiana; Athens, Maine;  Athens, New York; Athens, Pennsylvania; Athens, West Virginia; Athens, Wisconsin; Athens, Louisiana; Athens, Michigan.Some of them actually in the "footprint" of the SPHL. Some don't even have the population of the average attendance at an F(P)HL game.

Yeah, but how many of 'em are pronounced "AY-thənz," Perfesser?

Many towns in the US called Athens: Athens, Alabama; Athens, Georgia; Athens, Texas; Athens, Ohio; Athens, Illinois; Athens, Indiana; Athens, Maine; Athens, New York; Athens, Pennsylvania; Athens, West Virginia; Athens, Wisconsin; Athens, Louisiana; Athens, Michigan.Some of them actually in the "footprint" of the SPHL. Some don't even have the population of the average attendance at an F(P)HL game.

There is a Athens,Tennessee,

Athens,Arkansas

Athens,Kansas,

Athens,Calforina,

Athens,Missouri,

Athens Mississippi,

Athens,Vermont,

Athens,Kentucky

There are 60 worldwide towns named Athens.

Awards

How many Huntsville's are there? I know of three Alabama, Texas and Ontario Canada.

Add AR, MO, OH, TN, UT.

With all these brilliant ideas, we could start our own super-league: The AHHL - "Athens-Huntsville Hockey League."  It'd make remembering the teams easier.  As long as they all didn't have "Ice" in their names.  :dizzy: