Evansville Hockey

FHL's Future Unclear?

79 posts in this topic

The FHL almost looses 1-2 teams after every season. What if one year they only have 5 teams, it would be kind of stupid to have a season. With the way things are going, and teams quitting, could the FHL be running out of relocations options up North and have to expand more to the South like they already did with Winston-Salem? The league's minimum amount of teams for a season is 6.

I have heard that 2017-18 expansion options might include: a Mid-Atlantic expansion in Salisbury, MD, and Huntington, WV

:laughing:, you are talking about the FHL.  They would probably still play.  After all, they played the 2013-14 season with only 4 teams.  I bet they would make a go of it with only 3.

Edited by Baronsfan

On 10/11/2016 at 10:39 PM, Baronsfan said:

:laughing:, you are talking about the FHL.  They would probably still play.  After all, they played the 2013-14 season with only 4 teams.  I bet they would make a go of it with only 3.

that's what the AAHL did their final year i believe.  I know the SEHL only had 4 in their 1 season 

I think you can start hearing of a southern expansion to the cities that the SPHL has outgrown. Just my 2 cents tho.

I can't imagine the SPHL "outgrowing" any city. The league is the definition of "entry-level".

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

I can't imagine the SPHL "outgrowing" any city. The league is the definition of "entry-level".

4000 seat arenas and more, you outgrow a few cities. W/S was outgrown and that's a great building with heavy tradition. 2500-4000 seat arenas is what i'm referring too. Where you don't have to have a 1.1-1.5 million dollar budget to make it.

Edited by Hockey33
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Hockey33 said:

. Where you don't have to have a 1.1-1.5 million dollar budget to make it.

Management still has to pay their players

16 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Management still has to pay their players

The league has gotten better from when it first started and that comes from players, coaches and GMs I know. The play is better, ownership is better and overall a better product. This league is designed to hit the smaller markets, arenas that don't hold the capacity of 4k or more. The league looks for arenas that hold 2000-4000 and that don't kill you on the lease. That's where you save money. That gives the fans of that area a place to go to watch live hockey. Although people on here may not like it, fans of these teams are happy to have hockey in the area. Would they love to have the ECHL in there.. of course. BUT this is a business and those numbers don't add up. Even the SPHL is getting where owners are scared to buy a team. That's why all these markets you guys talking about don't have teams. The FHL gives kids the opportunity to keep playing a few more years and keep living that dream. So, who are we to judge!!!

2 people like this

15 hours ago, Hockey33 said:

The league has gotten better from when it first started and that comes from players, coaches and GMs I know. The play is better, ownership is better and overall a better product.

I would disagree with those statements above, the league is actually getting a little worse, if you were able to see some games in the first year and compare it to what it is today, it seems the league had on average better players in the earlier years. I attended a lot of games the first two years, the play seemed much better back then, just my opinion though but others who follow the league do agree, just visit the forums board for the FHL, you will get similar opinions.

Ownership keeps getting worse, hence you have one owner who basically owns a handful of teams in the league. No vetting of potential owners, typically you have individuals who do not have the resources, then find out real quick that owning a team is expensive, so much turnover of teams is killing potentially suitable markets.

1 person likes this

Awards

17 hours ago, sniper said:

I would disagree with those statements above, the league is actually getting a little worse, if you were able to see some games in the first year and compare it to what it is today, it seems the league had on average better players in the earlier years. I attended a lot of games the first two years, the play seemed much better back then, just my opinion though but others who follow the league do agree, just visit the forums board for the FHL, you will get similar opinions.

Ownership keeps getting worse, hence you have one owner who basically owns a handful of teams in the league. No vetting of potential owners, typically you have individuals who do not have the resources, then find out real quick that owning a team is expensive, so much turnover of teams is killing potentially suitable markets.

Well like I said this came from coaches, players, ETC. It's funny you talk about quality of play but alot of the players in the SPHL came from the FHL. But I respect your opinion. Here's hoping the FHL survives for the fans of the cities that have hockey from that league.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Hockey33 said:

Well like I said this came from coaches, players, ETC. It's funny you talk about quality of play but alot of the players in the SPHL came from the FHL. But I respect your opinion. Here's hoping the FHL survives for the fans of the cities that have hockey from that league.

Hockey33, I do agree with hoping the league survives for the fans sake, it is such a big blow to these little communities when the FHL comes in, and then departs several months later. Happens too often.

Awards

On 10/9/2016 at 9:05 PM, Evansville Hockey said:

The FHL almost looses 1-2 teams after every season. What if one year they only have 5 teams, it would be kind of stupid to have a season. With the way things are going, and teams quitting, could the FHL be running out of relocations options up North and have to expand more to the South like they already did with Winston-Salem? The league's minimum amount of teams for a season is 6.

I have heard that 2017-18 expansion options might include: a Mid-Atlantic expansion in Salisbury, MD, and Huntington, WV

I heard about the FHL being interested in Huntington a few years ago. The then-manager told them the going price he wanted, and never heard from them again... it's a new manager personnel-wise, but it's SMG here, and they've managed to turn it into a very highly-regarded concert venue. They're not gonna give that up without assurance that they're not turning it into a money pit, which is precisely what an FHL team would be.

18 hours ago, Aceface905 said:

I heard about the FHL being interested in Huntington a few years ago. The then-manager told them the going price he wanted, and never heard from them again... it's a new manager personnel-wise, but it's SMG here, and they've managed to turn it into a very highly-regarded concert venue. They're not gonna give that up without assurance that they're not turning it into a money pit, which is precisely what an FHL team would be.

They were called this year about joining next season, but the arena is not interested in hockey at all from what I was told.

On 10/30/2016 at 5:04 PM, Hockey33 said:

They were called this year about joining next season, but the arena is not interested in hockey at all from what I was told.

Interesting, and a little disheartening, but not entirely surprising given the work they've done.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:32 AM, sniper said:

Looks like a "FHL'er" just got "SPHL Player Of The Week". Not to argue, but kids in the FHL can play in the SP or higher. Just have to give them an opportunity. That's exactly what the FHL does.

3 minutes ago, Hockey33 said:

Looks like a "FHL'er" just got "SPHL Player Of The Week". Not to argue, but kids in the FHL can play in the SP or higher. Just have to give them an opportunity. That's exactly what the FHL does.

OMG - HOCKEYDADX3 has a disciple on The Forums!  :surrender:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

No disciple my friend. Just a realist and a person that don't judge. Happy for people with hockey.

What's up with all the Suspended by league indefinitely transactions? Also I find this amusing, Cole Hutchinson Assigned from Fayetteville (SPHL). I don't think the SPHL has that type of relationship with the FHL. :eyes:

Edited by 72Vette

Awards

2 hours ago, 72Vette said:

What's up with all the Suspended by league indefinitely transactions? ...

Surprisingly, most of them are spelled out by the League: "left the team" or "failed to report."  Historically there'd be far more indefinite suspensions & they'd involve nearly entire rosters from one or more teams; those would indicate a player rebellion after not being paid for weeks on end.  But they've only played for a week so far this season - give 'em time.

The Mafouz suspension carries no explanation.  He was probably suspended by the Prowlers because he only had 9 minutes in penalty time over his first 2 games.  What a disgrace!

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Hockey33 said:

Yes the FHL does have guys that can play, never denied that aspect.....overall however the majority of FHL'rs cannot play a major role at a higher level beyond the FHL, one player doesn't change that. Gjurich (SPHL player of the week) is a good player, he had a brief stint with Columbus a few years ago, and spent some time in the "E" last year, played pretty well too. Led the FHL in scoring last year.

For the record I like the FHL and agree the FHL gives the kids a chance to chase the dream, however the FHL is a step below the SPHL, which was my original point to all of this

Awards

17 hours ago, sniper said:

Yes the FHL does have guys that can play, never denied that aspect.....overall however the majority of FHL'rs cannot play a major role at a higher level beyond the FHL, one player doesn't change that. Gjurich (SPHL player of the week) is a good player, he had a brief stint with Columbus a few years ago, and spent some time in the "E" last year, played pretty well too. Led the FHL in scoring last year.

For the record I like the FHL and agree the FHL gives the kids a chance to chase the dream, however the FHL is a step below the SPHL, which was my original point to all of this

yea...  that is agreed upon on the level of play. The SPHL reminds me of the ECHL in the late 90's. It's growing fast.

1 person likes this

On 11/2/2016 at 0:26 PM, JMC-STL said:

And its about time!!!!  :2thumbsup:

Awards

Hearing that there could be another Southern market announced in the next few weeks for the FHL. And they are looking at another one as well.

To quote Lynard Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama": " A southern man don't need him around anyhow "

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Hockey33 said:

Hearing that there could be another Southern market announced in the next few weeks for the FHL. And they are looking at another one as well.

Makes me wonder if the new FHL business strategy is to force the SPHL owners to talk merger with them.  Maybe Barry Soskin needs some cash for a hair transplant.  :dontgetit:

1 person likes this