Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Evansville Hockey

FHL's Future Unclear?

7 hours ago, Speedracer said:

What is this "attendance" of which you speak???

I can't get past the fact that Port Huron has won 25 consecutive games tonight.  So much for the league being competitive.

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I can't get past the fact that Port Huron has won 25 consecutive games tonight.  So much for the league being competitive.

Welcome to "The Soskin Hockey League."  :scrooge:

• Like 1

Heard from the Carolina FHL GM that the FHL will announce one new team on May 10th in Canton Ohio, and another one is in the works for a team in W Virginia that might be announced on May 15th............

If all the new teams they have announced that never came about actually happened, the league would be the size of the ECHL.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

Heard from the Carolina FHL GM that the FHL will announce one new team on May 10th in Canton Ohio ...

Center Ice Sports Complex in North Canton must be their target facility.  In addition to an NHL-sized rink, the bonus for the FHL is its "Full service hockey pro shop" ... where the players can buy their own equipment ... :scrooge:

ETA: Very odd choice of graphics on the CISC website.  Does this remind anyone else of a tombstone?  deaddeal.gif

signnew.jpg

VERY interesting. Barring the unlikely situation where the city of Huntington is actually going to pour a substantial amount of money to fix the ice surface in the Arena there, the likeliest situation would be South Charleston Memorial Ice Arena--a very nice building, but with the kind of minimal seating situation that doesn't seem to faze the FHL (500 bleachers, about 800-900 SRO, which they've had for college matchups on occasion).

Just checked in with Scott Brand (Carolina’s GM) and he is NOT going to West Virginia. South Charleston is too small, Huntington is too disinterested, and there’s no other building big enough to put a temporary rink into.

16 minutes ago, Aceface905 said:

Just checked in with Scott Brand (Carolina’s GM) and he is NOT going to West Virginia. South Charleston is too small, Huntington is too disinterested, and there’s no other building big enough to put a temporary rink into.

What do you mean South Charleston too small?

19 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

What do you mean South Charleston too small?

While a sellout would put them right in the FHL’s attendance wheelhouse, South Charleston’s SRO capacity is in the neighborhood of 800-900 fans, with actual bleacher seating for only 500.

Just now, Aceface905 said:

While a sellout would put them right in the FHL’s attendance wheelhouse, South Charleston’s SRO capacity is in the neighborhood of 800-900 fans, with actual bleacher seating for only 500.

That would be normal for the F(ake)HL

Yeah, credit to Scott Brand for having standards in this case. We both think it’d be a fine market if there was a building big enough to do anything with.

Related: the post he made on the FB fan group (which does confirm the dates at least) said his next trip would be ~2.5 hours away—roughly the distance between W-S and Asheville. If a temporary rink is involved, that could be a feasible option... I never asked beyond my own state boundaries though. Yet.

16 minutes ago, Aceface905 said:

... Related: the post he made on the FB fan group (which does confirm the dates at least) said his next trip would be ~2.5 hours away—roughly the distance between W-S and Asheville. If a temporary rink is involved, that could be a feasible option...

I can see it now: Kirnan & Soskin staying upstairs in the Biltmore House, while their new marquee team skates on the frozen swimming pool in the basement.  :dontgetit:

If they're gonna go that far, our showboating zillionaire governor would love to have a hockey team at the Greenbrier I'm sure :P

1 hour ago, ChompNation said:

Heard it will be Battle Creek MI instead of Canton

"Cereal City USA" is mighty close to Kalamazoo, who haven't fared well in attendance the last 4 ECHL seasons.  But maybe Barry Soskin is just in it for the corn flakes.  eat.gif

I've heard the target areas are Akron/Canton, Jamestown NY, Salisbury, MD.

As far a 2.5 hour drive from Winston-Salem, could be Florence or Columbia too.  or Maybe even something in the Bristol or Johnson City area.

There's no buildings in Tri-Cities area (Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City) that would support any hockey.

What I heard:

1) Florence has said no to hockey

2) Asheville was tried but fairgrounds are not available for all needed dates

3) Akron/Canton - Rumored to be announced for '2019-20 season on May 17.

4) Traverse City, MI - Rumored to be expansion

5) Battle Creek, MI - Rumored to be expansion

6) Keep desiring Jamestown, NY and Elmira, NY as new targets.

7) Heard somewhere in SC is a target too (not Florence)

Where have any of you "heard" any of these places you're listing? Just curious.

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

4 hours ago, MacGuy said:

There are two hockey articles floating talking about the visits to two Michigan cities and Ohio.  They also have a quote from league officials that targets will be midwest cities and targets of ex-established hockey cities.  Some of it is word of mouth from talking with league/team personnel, so some of it can't physically be linked proven (Asheville in particular, since it fell through nothing will probably be published about it).  There's a lot of chatter that they want to focus Midwest and NE; meaning leaving Winston-Salem off on an Island.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RallyRabbit said:

What I heard:

1) Florence has said no to hockey

2) Asheville was tried but fairgrounds are not available for all needed dates

3) Akron/Canton - Rumored to be announced for '2019-20 season on May 17.

4) Traverse City, MI - Rumored to be expansion

5) Battle Creek, MI - Rumored to be expansion

6) Keep desiring Jamestown, NY and Elmira, NY as new targets.

7) Heard somewhere in SC is a target too (not Florence)

1. Florence is a NO Go until they get a big building for conferences to free up the big arena.

2. Ice is out the big arena also.

3. I think some truth to this.. but maybe closer to Cleveland.

4. don't think will happen

5. very good chance

6. I think they would love both of those in the league

7. No where in SC has big enough buildings except for Anderson sc Civic Center or Sumter sc Civic Center. Myrtle Beach wants too much to rent there building and have to bring in ice to all these.

** hearing there is a southern market in play now.

Edited by center33

One of the self-professed "jamokes" @ HotSprotsTakes.com appears to be the populist source of current FHL speculation ...

State of the Federal: Gridlock and the American Midwest

Shawn Bednard | May 1, 2018

This off-season proves to be a crucial one for the fledgling Federal Hockey League, the world’s craziest minor hockey league. ...

With rumored league expansion taking place in Traverse City (Northwestern Michigan), Battle Creek (Southwestern Michigan), and possibly Akron/Canton (Northeastern Ohio), third-phase expansion is in full effect – the Midwest. Strong-holding unincorporated territory is obviously a niche of the Federal Hockey League… Hell, it’s technically their business model. The possible problem with this expansion comes in three parts:

1. Saturated Markets
  2. Location
  3. Geographic Competition ...

Read way more speculation at: https://hotsprotstakes.com/2018/05/01/state-of-the-federal-gridlock-and-the-american-midwest/

I'll stick with Simone's explanation.  <_<

35 minutes ago, center33 said:

1. Florence is a NO Go until they get a big building for conferences to free up the big arena.

2. Ice is out the big arena also.

3. I think some truth to this.. but maybe closer to Cleveland.

4. don't think will happen

5. very good chance

6. I think they would love both of those in the league

7. No where in SC has big enough buildings except for Anderson sc Civic Center or Sumter sc Civic Center. Myrtle Beach wants too much to rent there building and have to bring in ice to all these.

** hearing there is a southern market in play now.

Asheville's attempt wasn't at US Cellular Arena; that's a no-go and never will be again.  It was at a building at the Western NC Agricultural Center.  Not sure what they planned for boards or ice plant, but from what I understand, everything was worked out to make this happen except dates didn't line up.

What Southern Market are you hearing?  The only southern markets that have ice plants that could attempt this would be Greensboro, Hampton Roads, Richmond, Savannah?