Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Evansville Hockey

FHL's Future Unclear?

209 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, RallyRabbit said:

Being from a city does not make you any expert on the city.  Especially compared to someone that lives in the area still, regardless of where you are from.  Regardless of what you think, the Augusta SPHL team move to Greensboro almost happened despite all the above statements.

Again, size doesn't make a difference, it is lease, concessions profits and how you cover setup and break down of the rink that make or break a team.  It is a complete total cost of ownership.  If someone leased that coliseum for $1 and gave a team all concession profits, then a 25k seat coliseum could work for a low junior team.

Well, you obviously seem to be an expert on Winston. And the fact I have spoke to Matt Brown and Scott Johnson myself personally, yes I can say that I do know what I am talking about. And actually, being from Greensboro, for approximately 36 of my 38 years on this earth, makes me pretty knowledgeable about my city.

Again, it's not what I think. It's what I know from firsthand experience. You say the Augusta move ALMOST happened? Keyword is almost. The GCC will NOT give up any concession revenue, and if they were to, it would be a pitiful percentage. Unless Matt and Scott have some miraculous change of heart on rental fees, a team owner would NOT be able to sustain a profitable franchise. If they stuck to the rental terms in the guidelines, the base fee is $5,000 per night or 12% of gross receipts, whichever is greater. This does not include the hundreds of people they have to staff for the events which in turn will boost that number per night even higher. We're talking at least $20,000 per night the team has to pay in fees to the Coliseum.

So to explain why an Augusta move NEVER happened, Bob Kerzner would have not been able to afford it. His franchise has never shown, until 2017-18, any attendance greatness considering the Cyclones (both in Winston and Florence) had pitiful numbers, the Hawks had pitiful numbers, and even in Macon, the first 2 years were down at the bottom of the league.

So, basically, before you assume someone is just spouting off with thoughts, please step back and understand that the person may have insider knowledge of some things.

I do not mean any of this with any intention of disrespect.

Back to hockey talk, 

There's this from a new Bus League Hockey site:

https://busleaguehockey.com/2018/05/16/could-watertown-and-the-fhl-lose-the-wolves/

Kind of a path of how Watertown could lose the Wolves as attendance and teams near them continue to drop, but more interesting is this rumor:

There is rumor (more on this in a separate post later) that there could be a team in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland and the suburbs of Toronto, which would be five-and-a-half hours and just under four hours away, respectively, which could help cut down on travel for the team.

Which is really interesting. What's a Cleveland suburb that might have a rink? And same with Toronto suburbs that would have a 1500 to 2000 seat rink? Cleveland is not near Watertown, but is near Port Huron and Danville, kind of. And Toronto is about halfway between Port Huron and Watertown, ~4 hours or so.

4 hours ago, TroopSupporter42069 said:

... What's a Cleveland suburb that might have a rink? And same with Toronto suburbs that would have a 1500 to 2000 seat rink? Cleveland is not near Watertown, but is near Port Huron and Danville, kind of. And Toronto is about halfway between Port Huron and Watertown, ~4 hours or so.

Cleveland Metro has at least a half-dozen ice rinks that could support the FHL's "flexible" building requirements.  You can double that number for GTA, more if the FHL decides to pursue the outdoor team option again.  IMO, any new expansion of the League is likely to focus on locations that will benefit Mr. Soskin's desire to make a profit.  So look for additions within comfortable driving distance of Port Huron or Danville or Winston-Salem.

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Cleveland Metro has at least a half-dozen ice rinks that could support the FHL's "flexible" building requirements.  You can double that number for GTA, more if the FHL decides to pursue the outdoor team option again.  IMO, any new expansion of the League is likely to focus on locations that will benefit Mr. Soskin's desire to make a profit.  So look for additions within comfortable driving distance of Port Huron or Danville or Winston-Salem.

Looks like it's Mentor. And from the looks of it in one of the links in there, it looks like a pretty nice, but small, rink.

https://busleaguehockey.com/2018/05/17/report-federal-hockey-league-has-talked-expansion-to-northern-ohio/

Word on the Thunderbirds fan page is that two teams should be announced.  I guess one is mentor.... the other is claimed to have local ownership.  But not sure if that means local to NC or local to where the team is.

35 minutes ago, RallyRabbit said:

Word on the Thunderbirds fan page is that two teams should be announced.  I guess one is mentor.... the other is claimed to have local ownership.  But not sure if that means local to NC or local to where the team is.

Giving the FHL rare credit ... At least they recognize the need to expand, if only for the fact that they lose one or two teams every season.  :huh:

Awards Earned

44 minutes ago, RallyRabbit said:

8 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Giving the FHL rare credit ... At least they recognize the need to expand, if only for the fact that they lose one or two teams every season.  :huh:

If they are expanding to accommodate W-S, then W-S won't join the SPHL....it'd be for nothing if they do.

Awards Earned

On 5/18/2018 at 1:38 PM, Marksmen3519 said:

If they are expanding to accommodate W-S, then W-S won't join the SPHL....it'd be for nothing if they do.

Well, Asheville is an FHL desire anyway.  So if that and a handful more Southern targets pan out in the next few years (Anderson, Asheville, Savannah, Hampton Roads and a few other options), W-S or not the FHL will have a southern tier.

W-S to be in the SPHL, a lot of things have to happen.  And I don't mean just fixes to the Annex.  I mean, a lot of things have to happen.

Personally, I am getting to the point that if the FHL really starts vetting cities and ownership better, then I am fine with Winston there.  Thinking about Danville, Port Huron, North Shore, Watertown, Winston-Salem, Mentor, Battle Creek, and the two others that have yet to be named; and potentially Anderson, Savannah, Asheville, Salisbury .... the league actually starts look not terrible and a bit more viable.

Another thought is Spruce Pine and whether it is big enough area anymore to support anything.