Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

luvdasnakes

Return of the Bulls?

86 posts in this topic

That'd be great. But could the BJCC be ready in time for 2017-18?

SPHL is a 10-team league that includes the Huntsville Havoc and franchises in Georgia (two), Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida, Virginia, Arkansas, Indiana and Illinois.

Are the Antz moving to Fayetteville, Arkansas?

• Like 1

“I can go anywhere and people ask me, ‘When are you going to bring back the Bulls? When are you going to bring back the Bulls?’” Clarkson recounted. ...

Too bad the aging Mr. Clarkson has grown hard of hearing.  What those people were actually saying was: "Why are you going to bring back that bulls***?!"

http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/01/23/art-clarkson-sets-goal-restoring-glory-days-birmingham-bulls/

Art Clarkson wants to bring back the Birmingham Bulls, the professional hockey team he owned for six years in the 1990s that played at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex.

“I can go anywhere and people ask me, ‘When are you going to bring back the Bulls? When are you going to bring back the Bulls?’” Clarkson recounted. “Basically, I look at it almost as unfinished business.”

And he wants to do it now.

“If we don’t do it this year, I’m not doing it,” he said

Happy to have another team join, helps feed the higher leagues which have a lot more teams.......I guess the writer of the article forgot North Carolina has a team in the SP......

Edited by 10Antz18Life33

Awards

11 minutes ago, 10Antz18Life33 said:

Happy to have another team join, helps feed the higher leagues which have a lot more teams.......I guess the writer of the article forgot North Carolina has a team in the SP......

And he posted there a team in Arkansas 

Awards

North Carolina has a hockey team?

Yeah carolina hurricanes.....:o

• Like 1

Awards

21 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Yeah carolina hurricanes.....:o

7lZwLKc.jpg

• Like 2

Well considering there is a Fayetteville, Arkansas.......Id say thats why they put Arkansas, instead of doing the amount of research it would of taken to know it was NC instead.

Edited by 10Antz18Life33
  • Like 1

Awards

Note that the source of the e-article under scrutiny is "Alabama NewsCenter," which is a product of Alabama Power.  We should all simply hope they are more accurate in their delivery of electricity than they are in their delivery of facts.

If it's real or not there are several people that I know that are in the know says this is a real possibility.

• Like 1

If there are major upgrades to arena, then it won't go off next season. I heard they need new boards, Zamboni and ice plant work.  Heard the city isn't willing to foot the bill. We will have to wait and see.

I have heard the same thing that this is a real possibility and this is being worked on as we speak.  Some of the conditions the SPHL has suggested in just using the low bowl of the arena to start off with and not have to pay for clean up and people to work the upper area.  Also the boards, Zamboni and ice plant are another problem, but one of the investors from my understanding is looking into the cost.  Also just a thought this could be the landing spot for the Icegators franchise.

Awards

On 1/24/2017 at 5:17 AM, 10Antz18Life33 said:

Well considering there is a Fayetteville, Arkansas.......Id say thats why they put Arkansas, instead of doing the amount of research it would of taken to know it was NC instead.

Like when the Fort Wayne Komets sent Kevin Murdock to Fayetteville Arkansas,instead of Fayetteville NC.

• Like 1

Awards

Just heard last night that they may be some sort of announcement this week on hockey returning to the area.

• Like 1

Combs was talking in between periods of the roanoke at columbus game last week.  Announcer asked him about any expansion news.  He said there was nothing on the horizon for next year, but was working on a couple for the 18-19.  

Edited by Greg81102
Misspelling
  • Like 2

Awards

Maybe the announcement will be that they moved it back a year. I swear Birmingham is in need of minor league sports baseball is not enough.

What I have heard is that Art Clarkson is trying to put together a group of investors for the Birmingham franchise and that he want to play in the SPHL in 2017-18.  Legacy Arena in Birmingham is not interested due to having to make such an investment in Zamboni, Ice Plant and hockey boards.  Plus they are skeptical of it not drawing crowds like the Bulls did because it is the SPHL and some fans see it as low tier hockey.

My thinking is personally that they will price the rent so high that they do not want hockey in there and that way they don't have to deal with it, when you talk like they are worried about low tier hockey seems to me your doomed from the start.

Awards

Could the rink in Pelham on Birmingham's south side be an option?

The primary objection I've heard in the past has been limited seating more suited to an FHL franchise.  While Wikipedia lists the hockey capacity of their main arena at 3,500, that's still greater than the average attendance for all the SPHL teams save Huntsville, Peoria, and Knoxville.  (You could drop the Fayetteville and Macon crowds in there and rattle them around.)  Granted the seating and other amenities don't match the larger arenas, but that would be reflected in lower lease costs.

Think of it as a "foot in the door" approach to launching the franchise.  Start with smaller crowds at a smaller arena, prove viability, and target the BJCC for expansion after a couple of seasons.  Birmingham might be more willing to invest in a Zamboni, ice plant, and dasher boards when they see a going concern.

• Like 1

They would have to compete with ice time with Bama Hockey and I think UAB has a team now. So not sure Pelham is a good option.

Huntsville similarly competes with UAH for ice time at the Von Braun Center.  Hence the "We Are Huntsville" marketing and the combined "Huntsville Hockey" logos at center ice this season.  It's resulted in creative scheduling some weeks, but they've made it work.  So I think that problem would be manageable in Pelham.

Being a Roanoke fan, what do you guys think a good number is for teams in the league? 14 or so? 16 would seem to be ideal to me. Maybe make a northern and southern division?

40 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Being a Roanoke fan, what do you guys think a good number is for teams in the league? 14 or so? 16 would seem to be ideal to me. Maybe make a northern and southern division?

Your questions have been the subjects of spirited exchanges on this Board for at least the last 2 years.  Here's a little light reading for you, while you wait for current-day responses ...

Does The SPHL need more teams?

List Of Perfect Cities/arenas For The Sphl

2017-18 Season Expansion Talk

More Expansion Ideas

SPHL Realignment

• Like 1