Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

mla4510

RUMOR: Return of the Bulls/Death of the Cottonmouths

41 posts in this topic

Pelham better hope Clarkson doesn't hire the soon-to-be unemployed ex-Bull Jerome Bechard. His incompetent leadership and coaching is about to shut down what was once one of the premier minor league hockey franchises in the south. The new team wouldn't last long. Being a Cottonmouths fan, the perfect thing for us would be for Clarkson to buy the team along with Bechard and they can be the Bulls again. Then we can hopefully get another franchise that has involved ownership(not just fans), experienced management and hire a coach that can coach and evaluate talent. The fans will be there if there is something out on the ice worth seeing. Which hasn't been the case in years. If Macon were to fold. We would gladly take them and they could be the new and improved Cottonmouths. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mla4510 said:

Pelham better hope Clarkson doesn't hire the soon-to-be unemployed ex-Bull Jerome Bechard. His incompetent leadership and coaching is about to shut down what was once one of the premier minor league hockey franchises in the south. The new team wouldn't last long. Being a Cottonmouths fan, the perfect thing for us would be for Clarkson to buy the team along with Bechard and they can be the Bulls again. Then we can hopefully get another franchise that has involved ownership(not just fans), experienced management and hire a coach that can coach and evaluate talent. The fans will be there if there is something out on the ice worth seeing. Which hasn't been the case in years. If Macon were to fold. We would gladly take them and they could be the new and improved Cottonmouths. 

Berchard is planning to mold Orrin into a head coach so he can take over as GM......atleast thats what I read in an article a few weeks ago.

Awards

Posted (edited)

I heard,  but we damn sure don't need a clone of him. He was an entertaining player and I appreciate what he did as a player, but he has been a disaster as a coach. He may be great at the community service aspect of the job, but he has not proven to be able to coach up a team or evaluate talent. Putting a competitive team on the ice is the biggest thing that puts the butts in the seats. Need a new gm and coach. That's my opinion anyway. For an interesting read, check out the comment posted by an ex player's relative on a march 2nd Columbus Ledger-Enquirer interview of the Columbus City Manager. He hit the nail on the head. 

Edited by mla4510
To clarify a statement

14 hours ago, mla4510 said:

For an interesting read, check out the comment posted by an ex player's relative on a march 2nd Columbus Ledger-Enquirer interview of the Columbus City Manager. He hit the nail on the head. 

Could you post the link, please? There were no posted comments on the article that JMC-STL posted in the Cottonmouths' thread.

22 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Could you post the link, please? There were no posted comments on the article that JMC-STL posted in the Cottonmouths' thread.

Same article linked.  I could see the Comments last night at home.

Dang, last name neugold.  Wonder whos daddy that is.  He didnt take long to sound off !!!!

Awards

I was going to copy and paste it to you jmc but i exited out of it and the comments vanished.  

Awards

4 hours ago, mla4510 said:

Comments are at the bottom of page. Read Doug's comment.  Hate to say it, but he is spot on.   

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/other-sports/columbus-cottonmouths/article136013013.html

4 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Same article linked.  I could see the Comments last night at home.

29 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I was going to copy and paste it to you jmc but i exited out of it and the comments vanished.  

I couldn't see any comments on the original post, now I see them. Thanks for the re-post.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, mla4510 said:

Comments are at the bottom of page. Read Doug's comment.  Hate to say it, but he is spot on.   

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/other-sports/columbus-cottonmouths/article136013013.html

The comments are from a father of a player that asked to be waived and now plays for another

SPHL team. Do you really think he is going to have anything good to say about Bechard or the

entire organization?

Don't care who he is, he saw the same thing that I and a lot of other fans saw, especially on the ice. I used to go to the Bulls games when Bechard played there and was a season ticket holder for several years when he played for the Snakes. He played with a fire and passion like no other, but he has lost that and his teams reflect it. Think he got too comfortable in his job, that's the owners fault though. If you need to see a tell-tale sign of his destruction of this franchise, look at the Snakes sphl attendance stats since he has been coach and you will see what an inferior product on the ice will do to you. By the way,  I  hope they go far in the playoffs, not for him but for the fans that have stuck it out. May be the last games they will see in Columbus, though I hope not. I will be there too. 

56 minutes ago, Snakezzz said:

The comments are from a father of a player that asked to be waived and now plays for another

SPHL team. Do you really think he is going to have anything good to say about Bechard or the

entire organization?

Sounds to me he dont like bechard personally.   Oh and the zamboni driver. Which ive heard a lot of columbus fans say too.  About bechard not the zamboni driver.  What he is saying about the team, id say just about the same about roanoke.  Crappy breakout, sucky powerplay, too many turnovers, but its only been 1 year for us. Not over a decade.  So im not quite as mad as he seems. I really havent noticed the art of our zamboni driver.  Im too busy relieving myself and refilling my beer in between periods.  I guess however everyone feels is just an opinion.  So he has every right to express his.

Awards

1 minute ago, Greg81102 said:

... Im too busy relieving myself and refilling my beer in between periods. ...

I sure hope those actions aren't one and the same.  :unsure:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

No, The Berglund Center wont allow you to take your beverage into the bathroom with you.  I thought they did that so no one would contribute to the delinquency of a minor.  But maybe that rule was made so i wouldnt ever make that mistake.:yikes:

Awards

21 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

No, The Berglund Center wont allow you to take your beverage into the bathroom with you.  I thought they did that so no one would contribute to the delinquency of a minor. ...

But then how would young boys ever learn the time-honored tradition of balancing their nearly full beer cup on the filthy urinal while they make room for the contents?  :whistle:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

That's the beauty of beer- it doesn't have to change color going into and coming out of the drinker's body.

32 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

That's the beauty of beer- it doesn't have to change color going into and coming out of the drinker's body.

If it does, seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!  doctor.gif

• Like 1

I've sometimes debated the merits of dumping the beer directly into the urinal to eliminate the middle man.... ok, not really. 

44 minutes ago, TimO said:

I've sometimes debated the merits of dumping the beer directly into the urinal to eliminate the middle man.... ok, not really. 

That would be a waste (literally and figuratively), and a sacrilege in the book of fred.

7 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Unless it's...

Guinness.png

And now, back to our regularly scheduled Topic...

Anyone fine this interesting?

IMG_0676.PNG

Posted (edited)

I think we may have our answer to what is going to happen to the Columbus Cottonmouths!

Edited by SASRACE
  • Like 1

Awards

This was settled before the sale announcement. It won't last long if JB is the coach or gm. Good riddance. Maybe Columbus can get another chance with a group that knows what they are doing. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, Bullsman said:

Anyone fine this interesting?

IMG_0676.PNG

Good for JB if he can make it work, a little surprised he wouldn't hold out a little longer in hopes to revive hockey in Columbus? Maybe no takers to buy the team? Sad day for hockey fans in Columbus if the Snakes fold, Civic center will sit empty all winter and I imagine the newly built rink next to it will have its share of problems as well, once the Snakes pull out I can see a scenario where the youth hockey isn't as promoted as it once was and interest starts to decline, Birmingham isn't that far, but still a god distance from Columbus.

should be an interesting summer!

Awards

Posted (edited)

I don't think JB has put forth the effort to get new owners that would keep the team in Columbus. Given the sorry state of the team and the organization, he knows his gravy train would be over with ownership that had any inkling of knowledge of how to operate a franchise.  That is why he is high-tailing it to Birmingham, because he knows Clarkson will keep him in control of the team.  Clarkson will probably realize before long JB was a lot better at being an entertaining goon when he was a Bulls player than a head coach and or gm. Like I have said before, I loved JB when he was a player, but I think he has been a failure as a coach/gm. Yes, I believe the youth hockey programs in Columbus will suffer from this. It is a shame. With the right person in charge of the Cottonmouths, this could have grown to be something special. The youth system and the Cottonmouths could have complemented each other. Yet, the Cottonmouths attendance has steadily dropped since the ice rink was built. The very poor product that JB put on the ice along with not taking advantage of having the youth system to draw fans from has been unfortunate for the franchise. Columbus has shown it it will more than support a professionally run team. Don't know if they will get the chance again. The city would have to give a few concessions to a team when renting the civic center. Don't know if they would do  that or not.  Seems sometimes they would just as soon have a pretty empty building sitting there.  Would be nice if the same thing could be done to the ice rink that is being done to the building in Pelham, but the city can't or would not be willing to do that to have a team.  I hope the local hockey fans, like myself don't have to travel a hundred miles to see a game.  Perhaps someone will see the potential and give it another try.  Maybe the hockey gods will smile on us and getting this inept group out of town is a start to it.

Edited by mla4510
Edit