Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SASRACE

PLAYOFF GAMES

14 posts in this topic

Can somebody tell me the reason that Huntsville will have to use the Iceplex on April 14th for the playoff game?

Monster Jam is in the arena next weekend (April 7-9), which means the ice has to come out.  After that, the Oakwood Alumni Association is booked into the arena and East Hall on Friday the 14th, so I'm guessing the ice and boards can't (or won't) go back in until they're gone.  Then there are charity concerts in the arena on the 27th and 30th, so your guess is as good as mine whether they'll put down ice in between or just play at the Iceplex.

Posted (edited)

The league will never gain credibility among some people until this issue is solved among all SPHL arenas in my opinion.  It is fine to have events scheduled but make it so they can work with hockey if your team makes playoff not kick it out of a home ice advantage

Edited by SASRACE
1 person likes this

"but make it so they can work with hockey if your team makes playoff" == $$$

I'm sure every arena would be happy to reserve playoff dates a year in advance along with the regular season dates -- and at the same cost.  Whether the team winds up using the date or not.  :sad:

But you could be right that this needs to be a league problem, not an individual team problem.  Every team kicking into a "playoff fund" that negotiates some number of reserved dates well in advance and at risk.  Maybe teams that didn't make the playoffs are exempted from donations in the following season or something.  The details would be interesting to work out.

That's why it's called "minor league hockey".

So how many people have decided not go just because it is at the Ice Plex 

The Ice Plex holds about 200 so I doubt it will be noticed. It's more like who do you know that can score you a ticket.

No beer!

8 hours ago, fred said:

No beer!

Same challenge faced when the Rivermen had to play Rounds 1 & 2 games last season at a community rink.  Plenty of freds in Peoria, but not THE fred. 

Are the Season Ticket holders tickets good for the Ice Plex? 

From my understanding season ticket holders will have first offer on tickets and then if there are any left over they will go on sale to general public, I think Iceplex seats around 1500

Per the Havoc front office:

How to get tickets: Tickets will be available at the Iceplex for season ticket holders on starting Thursday and the public on Monday, April 10th for just $10 with 550 available. The Havoc front office will not be able to sell the tickets for the first round but will provide season ticket holders with an exclusive window to purchase tickets ahead of the public. For more information and to purchase tickets contact the Iceplex at 256-883-3774.

Season Ticket Holders: The playoff tickets that you received in your ticket booklet earlier this season are for Von Braun Center playoff games only and may not be used for either contest or future games at the Iceplex. Those tickets will however, be honored if the team advances to the second-round, as the VBC’s Propst Arena will be available for the remainder of the playoffs.

My wife and I were planning on going to the playoff games, but with them being at the IcePlex, I'm not sure she'll want to go. Disappointing anyway, but especially with the record breaking attendance they've had this year.

Does "the rest of the playoffs" include the championship series, if they make it that far?

Only 550?  Back in 2014, they announced there were 1200 tickets available for the playoff game at the Iceplex, and final attendance was listed as 915.  I recall quite a few were standing room around the glass.

I assume the first game of the series will be away, since April 15 is listed as "if necessary".