Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

TimO

Potential Expansion

150 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2017 at 7:30 PM, Marksmen119 said:

Best case scenario, FHL folds and its teams join the SPHL (Like CHL did and 7 teams joined the ECHL).....they will never have more than 7 teams in a single season.

but then you'd have to sell the idea of teams from Michigan and Canada being in a Southern league

28 minutes ago, Displaced Floridian said:

but then you'd have to sell the idea of teams from Michigan and Canada being in a Southern league

Their arenas aren't big enough for the SPHL anyways......need alot of reconstruction done.

Awards Earned

3 hours ago, Displaced Floridian said:

Not that I support a lowest tier North American pro hockey merger nor believe it will ever happen (for the sake of "a Southern league"), but there would be the option of rebranding.  Remember that the East Coast Hockey League changed their name to simply "ECHL" in 2003, after it had expanded well beyond the East Coast.  So just use "SPHL" as your official league name & within a generation of hockey fans hardly anybody would remember what it used to stand for.

Awards Earned

I stumbled across a post on the ECHL Facebook page from late last month, with a lead line saying: " Louisville gardens redone" and photos of construction underway on exterior & interior of the building.  Maybe it's because I don't have an FB account, but I couldn't get the Comments to load to look for more clues.  I did a web search for corroborating evidence, and found Louisville local stories from the past few years citing city wishes to redevelop the old Gardens building & reports of part of the building's roof torn off in a May 2016 storm.  I couldn't find any news of on-going refurbishment of the facility, so I don't know if the FB post was simply a hockey fan's wishful thinking or evidence of current efforts to bring The Gardens back to life.

Louisville Gardens FB.JPG

Does anyone here know the status of that building?  Louisville seems to sit in a "sweet spot" for SPHL expansion, adding another span in the bridge between the southeastern teams and Evansville/Peoria.  With a reported 6,000-seat capacity and a history of hosting hockey teams, is this a credible target for a new SPHL market?

Awards Earned

Lol, that's not the interior under construction. Right now the Gardens are used mostly as a large storage unit. I'd love for it to happen (and it will if I hit the Power Ball) but it is definitely not happening right now.

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Lol, that's not the interior under construction. Right now the Gardens are used mostly as a large storage unit. I'd love for it to happen (and it will if I hit the Power Ball) but it is definitely not happening right now.

Yeah, that's what I read in a local news story during my on-line snooping.  But I figgered I'd ask around.  Thanks.

P.S. - I wonder if they've got a used Zamboni gathering dust in there that I could buy cheap.  First on my block ...

7a0569d45f7be58dee0bdacb6b3b62a8--roller

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I was thinking the same method for financing a franchise and whatnot in Dayton

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

56 minutes ago, Displaced Floridian said:

I was thinking the same method for financing a franchise and whatnot in Dayton

Barry Soskin already hit that jackpot.  He was awarded dictatorship of the FHL:wacko:

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, Displaced Floridian said:

Tallahassee, Mobile, NOLA, Baton Rouge, et al

Tallahassee - no suitable arena due to lack of available dates
Mobile - not suitable arena
NOLA - no suitable arena due to issues at other buildings and the Bensons' lack of willingness to share the Smoothie King Center
Baton Rouge - honestly don't know enough about the current state of affairs there

Awards Earned

13 hours ago, SASRACE said:

Too many seats, cost too much for an SPHL to operate in

Not to mention that the KFC Yum Arena was built for mostly the Louisville Cardinals basketball team.

Louisville still has Freedom Hall which is still a suitable arena for hockey.

7 hours ago, Displaced Floridian said:

Tallahassee, Mobile, NOLA, Baton Rouge, et al

Tallahassee, good luck getting approval from Florida State.

Mobile, still possibly planned for demolition in2018

NOLA. lmao Never going to happen. The Brass were forced out due to the Pelicans crying and wanting to force the Brass to cover the set up/tear down costs for hockey to basketball and back

Baton Rouge, probably will not happen

Baton Rouge still has the ice plant, boards, glass etc, and they do ice skating for the public a lot. The venue is great for the SPHL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_Cane's_River_Center

They used to have a ECHL team called the Baton Rouge Kingfish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_Rouge_Kingfish

Edited by ChompNation

Awards Earned

Here's an idea: stabilize the existing teams and the business model before adding teams in markets that aren't suitably equipped.

It would only make sense in the wake of one the league's foundational organizations (Columbus) going to puppy heaven.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

On 8/20/2017 at 10:37 PM, Displaced Floridian said:

southern Michigan and southern Canada- perfect fit.

Awards Earned

On 8/20/2017 at 11:07 PM, Marksmen119 said:

Their arenas aren't big enough for the SPHL anyways......need alot of reconstruction done.

Reconstruction was done after the Civil War- it can be done again.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

I am not much plugged in the the behind-the-scenes stuff.
I got wind of a rumor, though involving the SPHL and some former UHL cities - Dayton and Muskegon, among others.
I took it on to some people who are a bit more plugged in and got an interesting response.

Basically, this was BS.
There aren't any other northern teams coming soon. The SPHL is concentrating on fixing the Columbus situation. (...and you can see how well THAT is going.)

Awards Earned

KFC Yum Center would be a way better option: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_Yum!_Center

It seats like a large NHL stadium, not financially realistic.

I couldn't find any news of on-going refurbishment of the facility, so I don't know if the FB post was simply a hockey fan's wishful thinking or evidence of current efforts to bring The Gardens back to life.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36378095/as-cleanup-work-looms-louisville-gardens-waits-for-the-future

Admittedly, I don't keep a close eye on the Louisville news, but my understanding is that a) it's still a dump (not many places need to have "petroleum" cleaned out of them) and b) the extent of their plans is waiting for something to fall in their laps.

Louisville still has Freedom Hall which is still a suitable arena for hockey.

Still a little on the large side, and I'm guessing the "hardware" for hockey would all need to be repurchased. 

There aren't any other northern teams coming soon. The SPHL is concentrating on fixing the Columbus situation. (...and you can see how well THAT is going.)

*shrug* Maybe right? It's not as if following leads in one city is a 24/7 venture though. It'd be terribly shortsighted to work exclusively on one franchise, regardless of the history, if there are good opportunities out there. Now, whether or not there are good opportunities is a different point...

I can't see them going north of Ohio under any circumstances. Peoria being in the league makes Dayton a little more plausible, but the arena's been condemned and I think is being torn down? So unless someone wants to pay Nutter Center's jacked up rents (that killed the ECHL Bombers) I don't see them getting another team anytime soon... 

I'm curious why Mobile isn't viable? Haven't seen there arena in years back in the ECHL days. Too big, can't be too small, or too old?

1 hour ago, Bullsman said:

I'm curious why Mobile isn't viable? Haven't seen there arena in years back in the ECHL days. Too big, can't be too small, or too old?

It's because they are supposed to be tearing down the Civic Center in 2018. Mobile Civic Center reported decline in events and revenue due to nearby Pensacola and Biloxi.