Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

TimO

Potential Expansion

150 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

I hear Lake Charles or Lafayette are strong contenders.

Are you for real? I live in Lake Charles, and LC is the fastest growing city in the US now too!

Edited by ChompNation
spelling

Awards Earned

7 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

Are you for real? I live in Lake Charles, and LC is the fastest growing city in the US now too!

Nah, I'm not real, nor am I normal. And I dispute your claim that LC is the "fastest growing city in the US now too." Per US census (don't see LC on this list!):

Here's a look at the top 15 fastest-growing large cities in the U.S.: 

1. Conroe City, Texas (Houston, The Woodlands, Sugar Land)
2. Frisco City, Texas (Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington)
3. McKinney City, Texas (Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington)
4. Greenville, S.C. (Greenville, Anderson, Maudlin)
5. Georgetown, Texas (Austin, Round Rock)
6. Bend, Ore. (Bend, Redmond)
7. Buckeye, Ariz.(Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale)
8. Bonita Springs, Fla. (Cape Coral-Fort Myers)
9. New Braunfels, Texas  (San Antonio, New Braunfels)
10. Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Nashville, Davidson, Murfreesboro, Franklin)
11. Lehi, Utah (Provo- Orem)
12. Cedar Park, Texas (Austin-Round Rock)
13. Meridian, Idaho (Boise City)
14. Ankeny, Iowa (Des Moines-West Des Moines)
15. Fort Myers, Fla. (Cape Coral-Fort Myers)

Awards Earned

Incorrect ill show proof about LC:

And why did you have to lie about Lafayette or Lake Charles, you got my hopes up!image.png.ebcbcf846f6a5fc4a588b4b97728b1e2.png

Awards Earned

38 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

And why did you have to lie about Lafayette or Lake Charles, you got my hopes up!image.png.ebcbcf846f6a5fc4a588b4b97728b1e2.png

Just eggin' you on and bein' :naughty:

Awards Earned

48 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

Still wrong about being fastest in the USA: per Forbes:

Business #Economy

FEB 10, 2017 @ 09:52 AM 538,292 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets

Full List: America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2017

c7041225ee8544653120d0732c9767f6?s=400&d=mm&r=g
Samantha Sharf , FORBES STAFF 
I cover real estate & how technology is shaping the spaces we inhabit. 

Forbes’ annual list of America’s fastest-growing cities provides a holistic picture of places on the upswing. We look at growth of population, employment, wages, economic output and use home price growth as a proxy for wealth. Here are the 25 metropolitan areas across the country experiencing the biggest surges, plus the growth rates and projections that got them on the list. 

1. Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, ChompNation said:

52 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

1 hour ago, ChompNation said:

Lake Charles has been on the grow for some time and now a report from Business Insider confirms what we already suspected: Lake Charles is the fastest growing city in the bayou state.

Read More: Lake Charles Named Fastest Growing City in Louisiana | http://929thelake.com/lake-charles-named-fastest-growing-city-in-louisiana/?trackback=tsmclip

So the "report: Lake Charles fastest-growing city" refers to the great state of Louisiana, NOT the good ol' USA.

Awards Earned

33 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Y'all are arguing 2 sides of the same thing. Lake Charles is indeed one of the fastest growing economies in the U.S.

Nope- Chomp wrote "cities"- you write about "economies"- and in the cited link LC is 3rd, not 1st, so even Chomp loses on this point too. 

Awards Earned

And you said you heard Lake Charles or Lafayette are strong contenders. Sounds like a draw.

Awards Earned

26 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

And you said you heard Lake Charles or Lafayette are strong contenders. Sounds like a draw.

I was being sarcastic (gee, surprise)- trying to goad Chomp, nothing more. 

Awards Earned

If it was "nothing more," you would have let it go.

Awards Earned

One city I never seem to hear about when expansion is discussed is Chattanooga, TN. Have they ever had a hockey team? The Mackenzie Arena is a good-sized venue in downtown.

I know they have a number of minor league teams that share leagues with SPHL-cities. I think they'd fit in pretty well; their metro is just larger than the majority of the cities in our league. It would make for a pretty dense mid-section of the league which could assist with overall travel costs. Huntsville (2hrs), Knoxville (2hrs), Birmingham (2.5hrs), and Macon (3hrs) are really close.

Awards Earned

It's been brought up a few times in the last couple of years. (here, here, here) No details about ice-production capability though.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

One of the biggest challenges for an organization wanting to place a hockey team in McKenzie Arena will be the lack of beer sale revenue.  Per the FAQ page on the UTC McKenzie Arena website, “As a state academic facility, we can not, by law, sell or allow alcoholic beverages in the facility.”

There is also the issues of (A) will a regulation rink fit without losing too much lower level seating and, more importantly, (B) does UTC want a professional sports team renting their arena?  I’m guessing the answer to at least one of those is no.

https://www.utc.edu/mckenzie-arena/index.php

30 minutes ago, Baronsfan said:

... There is also the issues of (A) will a regulation rink fit without losing too much lower level seating and, more importantly, (B) does UTC want a professional sports team renting their arena?  I’m guessing the answer to at least one of those is no. ...

As fans of the SPHL, most of us know that "a regulation rink" has little meaning in this League.

Awards Earned

It would still have suitable for a rink size within reason.  Knoxville has the smallest in the SPHL I believe.  Isn’t 185x80?

According to the 2017-2018 SPHL Media Guide and Record Book the rink sizes are as follows

KNX 180'x85'

ROA, BIR and EVN  200'x80'

the rest 200'x85'

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Baronsfan said:

One of the biggest challenges for an organization wanting to place a hockey team in McKenzie Arena will be the lack of beer sale revenue.  Per the FAQ page on the UTC McKenzie Arena website, “As a state academic facility, we can not, by law, sell or allow alcoholic beverages in the facility.”

There is also the issues of (A) will a regulation rink fit without losing too much lower level seating and, more importantly, (B) does UTC want a professional sports team renting their arena?  I’m guessing the answer to at least one of those is no.

https://www.utc.edu/mckenzie-arena/index.php

Glad to see the Snakes logo still active on the Forums, Baronsfan. 

It seems amazing they could host that variety of performers without beer sales. WWE? Monster trucks? Jimmy Buffet?

Still, no indication of ice-making capability though. 

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, dennis07 said:

According to the 2017-2018 SPHL Media Guide and Record Book the rink sizes are as follows

KNX 180'x85'

ROA, BIR and EVN  200'x80'

the rest 200'x85'

For what it's worth, Venuworks has always claimed The Ford Center in Evansville is 200x85. I've never measured it myself.

My dream cities would be the following

Asheville, Chattanooga, Florence SC, Richmond, Little Rock, Louisville, Lexington, West Virginia city

Awards Earned

6 hours ago, Antz Fan said:

My dream cities would be the following

Asheville, Chattanooga, Florence SC, Richmond, Little Rock, Louisville, Lexington, West Virginia city

Asheville: No ice plant. Probably will not fork over the money to install a new one.

Florence: The council does not want hockey back. I tried, and it was a failed attempt to negotiate.

Little Rock: There are negotiations but the people want ECHL, nothing lower.

Richmond: Probably not, until they build a new arena. There are rumors that there is work to try and build a new arena, but as of now, nothing too substantiated.

Louisville: No suitable arena for SPHL. KFC Yum is anchored by the Louisville Cardinals, so they may have a lot to say. Freedom Hall is still a bigger arena than most. The Gardens I assume is still receiving renovations.

17 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Asheville: No ice plant. Probably will not fork over the money to install a new one.

Florence: The council does not want hockey back. I tried, and it was a failed attempt to negotiate.

Little Rock: There are negotiations but the people want ECHL, nothing lower.

Richmond: Probably not, until they build a new arena. There are rumors that there is work to try and build a new arena, but as of now, nothing too substantiated.

Louisville: No suitable arena for SPHL. KFC Yum is anchored by the Louisville Cardinals, so they may have a lot to say. Freedom Hall is still a bigger arena than most. The Gardens I assume is still receiving renovations.

Dude I said DREAM cities. I knew the reasons why

Awards Earned

18 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

... Louisville: No suitable arena for SPHL. KFC Yum is anchored by the Louisville Cardinals, so they may have a lot to say. Freedom Hall is still a bigger arena than most. The Gardens I assume is still receiving renovations.

That, or still receiving the city's leftover office furniture & building materials:dontgetit:

Awards Earned

4 hours ago, Antz Fan said:

Dude I said DREAM cities. I knew the reasons why

It would make for a nice SPHL though!