richard 76

next season

30 posts in this topic

Sorry the season is over and I wish the players good luck in the future. I talked to McGill at Tuesdays game and he told me to trust him  the team would be bigger,faster and better than this season and I trust his word.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, richard 76 said:

Sorry the season is over and I wish the players good luck in the future. I talked to McGill at Tuesdays game and he told me to trust him  the team would be bigger,faster and better than this season and I trust his word.

I will believe it.  So far they have did everything the right way.  Not sure how bob mcginn ended up in Roanoke with his family to start up this team, but believe it was a match made in heaven.  Players will now see how nice Roanoke is to play in. How much we love and support our players and team. Im almost certain we will pull in some great players. Also i read in an article where Roanoke had the most call up time to the echl this year.  Posted by the president of our booster club.  They will also see its a good place to move up the ranks.  Im so excited about the future of our team.  Its been a fun year and cant believe its already over.  Already ready for next season to get here.  After the year, im proud to be a Dawgs fan!!

52 minutes ago, richard 76 said:

Let's hope the "coach" agrees with the owners philosophy.My guess is that he does not agree. the DAWGS also need an overall upgrade in skill. The players seems to have trouble with basic skills. Such as Skating, passing and defending their own zone needs to be addressed as well.

Just keep in mind what happened in Macon from their first season to this one.

See y'all in October. :thumbsup2:

There will be a lot of discussion on the forum after the play offs when the teams have to submit their protected list for next season. Might not be able to watch hockey but we'll have plenty to talk about. Wonder who will get protected? Only 13 can be protected.

11 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

There will be a lot of discussion on the forum after the play offs when the teams have to submit their protected list for next season. Might not be able to watch hockey but we'll have plenty to talk about. Wonder who will get protected? Only 13 can be protected.

Anybody know the date the lists have to be in by and announced?  Im not sure about all the rules of the draft.  But i think 13 is too many.  It sure didnt help roanoke or evansville out much this year.  2 of our 6 players spent the majority of the year in the echl and never came back.  (Travis Armstrong and Tim Boyle)  Steve Mele was injured about all year.  Was even worse for evansville.  None of their players ended up there at end of season.  Half of them didnt even suit up for them any and must have retired (patrick murphy, nick lazorko,michael hill).  Then a couple of them ended up in echl not coming back.  Might have been traded before getting callups.  (Luke sandler, johnny daniels) i think its probably easier for an established team to replace players, then expansion teams just starting out.  But i guess thats just my opinion.  Would love to hear everyone elses opinions on this subject.

Forgot to add some teams probably get more people retiring and dont have to protect them anyways.  My point in evansville's draft.

in 2016, protected lists were announced on May 16th along with the expansion draft selections.  In 2015 it was May 5th; in 2014, it was June 5th.  So somewhere thereabouts.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

i think its probably easier for an established team to replace players, then expansion teams just starting out.  But i guess thats just my opinion.  Would love to hear everyone elses opinions on this subject.

I don't think you can overstate the challenge of staffing an expansion team.  In Roanoke's case, you were asking for players to come to a city that hadn't had hockey for 10 years, play for a first time head coach, and had owners who had no experience owning a minor league sports team.  That took a pretty big leap of faith by players to come here. Thankfully we had some good ones that did, but injuries and call-ups made it a really challenging year.

I think next year will be a totally different story as the team has really stepped up to take care of players, such as houses instead of apartments, sleeper busses for all trips, and the parents weekend.  And Roanoke had more callus than any other team in the SPHL so that has to help as well. Several players who have been with other teams are telling me that Roanoke's reputation is spreading quickly. I certainly hope that's true.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

... I think next year will be a totally different story as the team has really stepped up to take care of players, such as houses instead of apartments, sleeper busses for all trips, and the parents weekend. ...

I'm puzzled by your "houses instead of apartments" comment.  I could see that being a thoughtful option for players with wives and/or a family, but it seems like communal living (e.g., apartments) is a right of passage as well as a good social environment for young single players.  Plus the apartment housing cost per player typically is much lower than for stand-alone houses, as local apartment complex management companies offer discounts to the team for leasing large numbers of units (sometimes in exchange for in-game advertising).  The parents weekend idea is another valuable social function, especially for the younger guys new to the pro game, and seems to be catching on as a "thing" even at the NHL level.  The sleeper bus option (did you really expect more than one of these vehicles for RYD?) is also a very expensive investment for a team owner; but it would certainly help to ease the physical burdens on the player during long road trips.

P.S. - On behalf of The Perfessor: "busses" is a series of kisses, while "buses" is the plural of "bus."

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

I'm puzzled by your "houses instead of apartments" comment.  I could see that being a thoughtful option for players with wives and/or a family, but it seems like communal living (e.g., apartments) is a right of passage as well as a good social environment for young single players.  Plus the apartment housing cost per player typically is much lower than for stand-alone houses, as local apartment complex management companies offer discounts to the team for leasing large numbers of units

It is still communal living, several guys sharing each house, and as far as cost my understanding is that one of the local minority owners team investment was in the form of rental properties to be used by the players, or at least part of his investment came in that form.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Anybody know the date the lists have to be in by and announced?  Im not sure about all the rules of the draft.  But i think 13 is too many.  It sure didnt help roanoke or evansville out much this year.  2 of our 6 players spent the majority of the year in the echl and never came back.  (Travis Armstrong and Tim Boyle)  Steve Mele was injured about all year.  Was even worse for evansville.  None of their players ended up there at end of season.  Half of them didnt even suit up for them any and must have retired (patrick murphy, nick lazorko,michael hill).  Then a couple of them ended up in echl not coming back.  Might have been traded before getting callups.  (Luke sandler, johnny daniels) i think its probably easier for an established team to replace players, then expansion teams just starting out.  But i guess thats just my opinion.  Would love to hear everyone elses opinions on this subject.

A lot of players to include Fayetteville had players jump to the European leagues and some had retired. This up coming season they may or may not return to the SPHL. Coach will have a end of season one on one meeting with each player to see what their intentions are for the next season and the coaches will build their protected list from the results of those meetings.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

P.S. - On behalf of The Perfessor: "busses" is a series of kisses, while "buses" is the plural of "bus."

Thanks fer thinkin' of me, but per Merriam Webster, plural buses also busses

Image result for "kiss" images

Edited by PlannedObsolescence
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, vicvegas said:

It is still communal living, several guys sharing each house, and as far as cost my understanding is that one of the local minority owners team investment was in the form of rental properties to be used by the players, or at least part of his investment came in that form.

It's my understanding there are multiple players to each house, I for one would think it would be a good investment by the owners to purchase houses for players to stay in during the season, usually real estate in a good investment and if taken care of will always get back more than what they paid for the houses in the beginning.

30 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Lol, i guess even perfessors learn something new everyday.

6 hours ago, vicvegas said:

Thanks for the clarification.  Sounds like the Dawgs' ownership is a unique bunch who thinks outside the box (or outside the rink).  :2thumbsup:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

That entry was from Mr. Webster.  Ms. Merriam prefers to reserve the three-s version for special occasions.

2 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Thanks fer thinkin' of me, but per Merriam Webster, plural buses also busses

As a former professional bussy (the driver kind, not the others), I have to concur with P.O. 

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

As a former professional bussy (the driver kind, not the others), I have to concur with P.O. 

And may the forum gods have mercy on your soul for that now-public declaration ...  :devil:

1 person likes this

Does anyone remember the bus video that was once on the IceGators forum? I couldn't find it on a "youtube" search. It  parodied the team bus situation. Anyway:

Image result for busses images

:blowkiss:   :blowkiss:   :blowkiss: 

To avoid any spelling or grammatical issues involving transportation, the boys have agreed to do at least one VAN trip to Roanoke next season!

2 hours ago, TimO said:

To avoid any spelling or grammatical issues involving transportation, the boys have agreed to do at least one VAN trip to Roanoke next season!

To which "boys" are you referring?

3 hours ago, TimO said:

Wait ... WHAT ... Vancouver is joining the SPHL next season???  :blink:

Not to be confused with http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118764/ ... The boys would be the group I watch and attend hockey with. We have no local team, so most events are Friday nighters watching on line, but we get a few road trips a year when the wives aren't looking. Average attendance for a trip is 5, we've been as high as 8. So- group of guys, a van, a cooler of beer and a whole lot of fun. I may see you more, but WE will see you at least once.

2 people like this