kittrellrunner

SPHL Championship?

17 posts in this topic

Who are y'all picking to win it all?Of course im picking the Mayhem.

Awards

42 minutes ago, kittrellrunner said:

Will the jinx continue with Macon loosing the 1st round?

Awards

55 minutes ago, kittrellrunner said:

I am rooting for pensacola.  Only because i loved to watch massimo lamacchia play and believe we shouldnt have traded him.  Was the heart of our team.  But if i had to bet money on it i would say either peoria or fayetteville.   Both have pretty solid all around teams and both have outstanding goaltenders.  Hard to choose between them.  But i guess if i had to id go with the Fireantz.  Bonar is a beast and great goaltending can take you far.

1 person likes this

Awards

On 4/10/2017 at 10:01 PM, Greg81102 said:

I am rooting for pensacola.  Only because i loved to watch massimo lamacchia play and believe we shouldnt have traded him.  Was the heart of our team.  But if i had to bet money on it i would say either peoria or fayetteville.   Both have pretty solid all around teams and both have outstanding goaltenders.  Hard to choose between them.  But i guess if i had to id go with the Fireantz.  Bonar is a beast and great goaltending can take you far.

Looks like my rooting is doing a little better then my picks.  Massimo with a goal and assist.  Congratulations Ice Flyers!!!

Awards

On 4/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, Greg81102 said:

It's hard to pick against Bonar who's shown he has the stamina to keep pounding away night after night, but Fayetteville's head to head against Macon gives me some pause. Antz also have a much tougher first round matchup, and that would make me go with Macon if pressed.

On to the next round.and finally a home game.

Awards

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing Macon or Peoria will win the championship.

Edited by mitchg73

I'm gonna wait until the final-Finals horn sounds to make my pick.  waiting.gif

12 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

I'm gonna wait until the final-Finals horn sounds to make my pick.  waiting.gif

Not venturing far out on the limb, are ya?

I just feel the need to remind everyone of this team located on the panhandle of Florida called the Ice Flyers. The last time Macon went to the finals (in Augusta) they were swept; however, the Ice Flyers ran through the playoffs last season without a single loss, and they had the same coach last year that came back this year. Just don't fall asleep on the Flyers. Just my half a cent opinion. :eyes:

38 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Not venturing far out on the limb, are ya?

mitchg' inspired me with his post-1st round 50/50 sorta prediction.

Posted (edited)

I think there will be a repeat of last years finals with the Ice Flyers defeating the Rivermen again.

Pensacola looks like a different team the last few weeks. They have really improved after some roster changes.

win-loss records in the last 10 games:  PEN 8-2,  PEO 7-3,  MAC 6-4,  MIS 6-4,  HUN 5-5

Edited by DonM
add a word
1 person likes this

I like your logic, Don, if not your predicted outcome.  The primary thing impeding "momentum" going into the SPHL playoffs, though, is the best-of-3 format.  It leaves room for only the slightest of letdowns in team intensity.

I'll never like a playoffs format that awards the lauded President's Cup to the first team with 6 wins - at least 2 of which could be against low-performing opponents; all while winning the Coffey Cup requires having the best record after 56 matchups against the entire league to some degree.

On 4/14/2017 at 7:07 PM, kittrellrunner said:

On to the next round.and finally a home game.

Easy. Got one more on the road first!

On 4/15/2017 at 5:09 PM, MacGuy said:

I'll never like a playoffs format that awards the lauded President's Cup to the first team with 6 wins - at least 2 of which could be against low-performing opponents; all while winning the Coffey Cup requires having the best record after 56 matchups against the entire league to some degree.

It seems like the second round re-seeding increases the chances that you have an "easy path" to the finals for some team. I know the logic is to ensure that the highest seeds are rewarded with the best path, but I'm curious if you have any opinion on it.

Opinion on the second round re-seeding? I'd say the format makes obvious sense, just not the application. The "reward" is lessened since the spread is smaller between the remaining opponents.

It's the "one bad game and you find yourself in the one-and-done situation" that I (and many others) object to. Three 5-game series (or even a 3-game 1st round followed by two 5-game rounds) would put the SPHL on par with the ratio of playoff to regular season games the NHL employs. And a team could have 2 bad games and still have a chance to mount a comeback to advance.

Of course, arena availability and getting the post-season done by a desired date will alway work against pulling that off. At least, I assume, until the league gets bigger and more attractive to the venues. Does anyone know how much trouble ECHL teams have getting post-season dates?

18 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

... Of course, arena availability and getting the post-season done by a desired date will alway work against pulling that off. At least, I assume, until the league gets bigger and more attractive to the venues. Does anyone know how much trouble ECHL teams have getting post-season dates?

The typical ECHL playoff series scheduling is 2-2-1-1-1 (for teams that are located near one another) or a 2-3-2 (for greater separation).  But for this season's first round, there is a 2-5 between Manchester & Adirondack due to ice availability.  Every succeeding round gets tougher to balance the schedules as the busy entertainment season gets rolling.  But I don't recall the ECHL playoff scheduling ever being as complicated as the SPHL over the last 6 years when I was following both leagues.  It's all about advance scheduling by the highest bidders.