Soulmiser

Protection List

26 posts in this topic

Ok so let's have a little fun since we have a few weeks without playoffs and news will probably be slim until mid May or so. Here is our roster, how do you see it playing out and who are the 13 protected players that we will submit to start with next season. 

 

4    Donnellan, Mike    D
5    Walsh, Cody (R)    D
7    Schneider, Nick    D
8    Bronner, Phil    RW
10    Stevens, Justin (R)    D
11    Mele, Steve    C    
14    Schultz, Evan (R)    LW    
15    Lipari, Michael    D    
15    Llorca, Vincent    D    
16    Orlando, Sean (R)    RW    
17    Driscoll, Mike    LW    
19    Vernace, Daniel    C    
20    Tatrn, Zach    C    
21    Brewer, Jackson    LW    
23    Bauer, Ben    D    
26    Gintoli, Peter (R)    
28    Babenko, Dmytro (R)    LW    
30    Reichenbach, Ty (R)    G    
33    Ballmer, Joey (R)    
Gandara, David (R)    LW    
Spraggs, Riley (R)    RW    
de Melo, Ryan    G    


X Anderson, Brandon    G    
X Armstrong, Travis    D    
X Baker, Mike (R)    D    
X Beirnes, Jeremy    LW    
X Bourne, Taylor    RW    
X Boyle, Tim    D    
X Chegrintsev, Maxim (R)    
X Chiarantano, Matt (R)    D    
X Dallaire, Bryan    D    
X Gjurich, Tyler    RW    
X Harris, Ian    LW    
X Hosmer, Todd    LW    
X Jeke, Travis (R)    D    
X Kaludis, Matt (R)    G    
X Kruger, James    G    
X Lamacchia, Massimo    C    
X Meads, Mark (R)    RW    
X Melkert, Cory (R)    D    
X Mitchell, Matt    G                    
X Moroso, Mike (R)    RW    
X Mueller, Mitchell    D    
X Murray, Colin    LW    
X Peters, Michael    G                    
X Popek, Jason    C    
X Skudalski, Craig (R)    LW
X Stibysh, Igor (R)    D    
X Tesoriero, Phil    D    
X Turner, Michael (R)    LW    
X Vandergunst, Mitchell    RW    
X Vazquez, Alex (R)    RW    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Posted (edited)

Protected 13

5    Walsh, Cody (R)    D - Best defensmen hope he stays, iron man.
4    Donnellan, Mike    D - Wasn't sold at first but he's gotten better, a steady hand at the back.
x    de Melo, Ryan    G  - looked bad at the end of the season with injury but he is good and enjoy his attitude.
8    Bronner, Phil    RW - hardest working guy on our team by far, fights for everything.
21    Brewer, Jackson    LW - On form this guy is amazing, I think he will get better.
X   Beirnes, Jeremy    LW   - Entertainment value alone is worth admission.
11    Mele, Steve    C    - Can skate with speed with good players around him.
19    Vernace, Daniel    C - another hard worker on the ice, need his energy.
17    Driscoll, Mike    LW  - Can skate and has experience.
28    Babenko, Dmytro (R)    LW - puts in a shift every time.  
x     Spraggs, Riley (R)    RW  - This guy healthy with Brewer has great potential and a lot of goals.  
20    Tatrn, Zach    C  - Shows up with goals when you need them. 
26    Gintoli, Peter (R) - Great player for his size, love his energy.   
  
Retired

7    Schneider, Nick    D - retire
X Murray, Colin    LW     - retire 

Training Camp

30    Reichenbach, Ty (R)    G - This guy was solid if Anderson isn't back I'd take him over Ballmer.X    Anderson, Brandon    G - not sure about this but possible he comes back to work with Melo
33    Ballmer, Joey (R)  - Ballmer was pretty good but I rated Ty better, if Anderson/Reichenbach don't come back I'll take him.
X    Boyle, Tim    D - If he was injured in ECHL he might come back to work his way up again.
X    Vazquez, Alex (R)    RW - would like to see this guy come back
x    Gandara, David (R)    LW - has a lot of potential, good stats for someone who played so little.

Edited by Soulmiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
4 hours ago, Soulmiser said:

Protected 13

5    Walsh, Cody (R)    D - Best defensmen hope he stays, iron man.
4    Donnellan, Mike    D - Wasn't sold at first but he's gotten better, a steady hand at the back.
x    de Melo, Ryan    G  - looked bad at the end of the season with injury but he is good and enjoy his attitude.
8    Bronner, Phil    RW - hardest working guy on our team by far, fights for everything.
21    Brewer, Jackson    LW - On form this guy is amazing, I think he will get better.
30    Reichenbach, Ty (R)    G - This guy was solid if Anderson isn't back I'd take him over Ballmer.
11    Mele, Steve    C    - Can skate with speed with good players around him.
19    Vernace, Daniel    C - another hard worker on the ice, need his energy.
17    Driscoll, Mike    LW  - Can skate and has experience.
28    Babenko, Dmytro (R)    LW - puts in a shift every time.  
x     Spraggs, Riley (R)    RW  - This guy healthy with Brewer has great potential and a lot of goals.  
20    Tatrn, Zach    C  - Shows up with goals when you need them. 
26    Gintoli, Peter (R) - Great player for his size, love his energy.   
  
Retired

7    Schneider, Nick    D - retire
X Beirnes, Jeremy    LW   - retire
X Murray, Colin    LW     - retire 

Training Camp

X    Anderson, Brandon    G - not sure about this but possible he comes back to work with Melo
33    Ballmer, Joey (R)  - Ballmer was pretty good but I rated Ty better, if Anderson/Reichenbach don't come back I'll take him.
X    Boyle, Tim    D - If he was injured in ECHL he might come back to work his way up again.
X    Vazquez, Alex (R)    RW - would like to see this guy come back
x    Gandara, David (R)    LW - has a lot of potential, good stats for someone who played so little.

You will want to protect Anderson......if not another team will snag him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

Most teams only protect one goalie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

Most teams only protect one goalie.

Melo was injuried near end of year.......where Anderson was on call up.  I still think its worth it to protect two good goalies.....Antz didnt get a quality back up until late in the season. Wouldnt wanna be in Antz's shoes like early in the year.

Edited by 10Antz18Life33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

 

6 hours ago, Soulmiser said:


Retired
X Beirnes, Jeremy    LW   - retire

 

Why do you think that Beirnes will retire? 

At the end of season Booster Club dinner, he said he would be "honored" if he could return to Roanoke next year. He is getting married over the summer, but his lady friend as already visited Roanoke and since they are both outdoor types, they really like what Roanoke offers.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 
1 hour ago, 72Vette said:

Most teams only protect one goalie.

True, but teams can protect as many as they want. If a team wants to protect 13 forwards, it can do so but their goalies and d-men are left unprotected; if management wants to protect 13 d-men, so be it; they just can't protect more than a total of 13 individuals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
17 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

 

Why do you think that Beirnes will retire? 

At the end of season Booster Club dinner, he said he would be "honored" if he could return to Roanoke next year. He is getting married over the summer, but his lady friend as already visited Roanoke and since they are both outdoor types, they really like what Roanoke offers.

Just a hunch since he came back from a tough injury,  played for a bit and got injured again. Just have the feeling after he gets married he might choose to end this chapter of his life since he's likely in the last few seasons of his career anyway. I hope he comes back because he's so entertaining regardless of his numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, 72Vette said:

Most teams only protect one goalie.

If so I'd trade Gandara for Ty and maybe Anderson for Melo if I was confident he would come back but I'm not so sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Soulmiser said:

Protected 13

5    Walsh, Cody (R)    D - Best defensmen hope he stays, iron man.
4    Donnellan, Mike    D - Wasn't sold at first but he's gotten better, a steady hand at the back.
x    de Melo, Ryan    G  - looked bad at the end of the season with injury but he is good and enjoy his attitude.
8    Bronner, Phil    RW - hardest working guy on our team by far, fights for everything.
21    Brewer, Jackson    LW - On form this guy is amazing, I think he will get better.
30    Reichenbach, Ty (R)    G - This guy was solid if Anderson isn't back I'd take him over Ballmer.
11    Mele, Steve    C    - Can skate with speed with good players around him.
19    Vernace, Daniel    C - another hard worker on the ice, need his energy.
17    Driscoll, Mike    LW  - Can skate and has experience.
28    Babenko, Dmytro (R)    LW - puts in a shift every time.  
x     Spraggs, Riley (R)    RW  - This guy healthy with Brewer has great potential and a lot of goals.  
20    Tatrn, Zach    C  - Shows up with goals when you need them. 
26    Gintoli, Peter (R) - Great player for his size, love his energy.   
  
Retired

7    Schneider, Nick    D - retire
X Beirnes, Jeremy    LW   - retire
X Murray, Colin    LW     - retire 

Training Camp

X    Anderson, Brandon    G - not sure about this but possible he comes back to work with Melo
33    Ballmer, Joey (R)  - Ballmer was pretty good but I rated Ty better, if Anderson/Reichenbach don't come back I'll take him.
X    Boyle, Tim    D - If he was injured in ECHL he might come back to work his way up again.
X    Vazquez, Alex (R)    RW - would like to see this guy come back
x    Gandara, David (R)    LW - has a lot of potential, good stats for someone who played so little.

5 Walsh- Best defenseman........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Was it the 14 points in 55 games? Maybe it was that .026 shot percentage? How about the very strong -18 (-4 in the last game)? Could it be the low pims? 20 pims in 55 games tells me he was afraid to hit anyone, combine that with the -18 and I guarantee he moved out of the way more than he got in the way. Dude, for what reason could you possibly want this guy on your team? Better question is for Sam, Why did you keep this guy????    HAHAHAHAHAHA 

Had to add this- If you deduct his points (he was obviously on the ice for those goals), he was on the ice for AT LEAST 32 goals against......32 goals against. The only one worse than him was Papa Smurf himself at 35 goals against. Remember, there were plenty more, but the SPHL doesn't keep all the stats they should.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by sportsdad
Had to add something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
6 minutes ago, sportsdad said:

5 Walsh- Best defenseman........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Was it the 14 points in 55 games? Maybe it was that .026 shot percentage? How about the very strong -18 (-4 in the last game)? Could it be the low pims? 20 pims in 55 games tells me he was afraid to hit anyone, combine that with the -18 and I guarantee he moved out of the way more than he got in the way. Dude, for what reason could you possibly want this guy on your team? Better question is for Sam, Why did you keep this guy????    HAHAHAHAHAHA 

Had to add this- If you deduct his points (he was obviously on the ice for those goals), he was on the ice for AT LEAST 32 goals against......32 goals against. The only one worse than him was Papa Smurf himself at 35 goals against. Remember, there were plenty more, but the SPHL doesn't keep all the stats they should.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cody was signed on a three game contract to start the season, due to injuries he was kept. Was very shaky and even bad at times,  took him a while to get confident enough to become more physical as the season went on. As with every player on our defense most of whom weren't here for all 55 games, their stats are terrible. Chris Letang in our D setup this season would have looked bad. Stats are one thing but it won't show his progress through the season. The last two home games he was reading the game better than anybody on our team and was very physical,  didn't take stupid penalties is a good thing. Not sure why you would want to get rid of a potentially good player who can only get better. Are there better players out there sure but he is one of our best defensemen. If we put a good team around him next season I have no doubt he will be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If the coach was sure ty was coming back and beirnes isnt retiring.  I would take out beirnes for de melo.  De melo played ok but going in we should play 1 more goalie more then the other.  De melo been in league a couple years now. So i believe ty has the most potential. Switching off too much in our games.  Only need 1 goalie on list i believe because only one can be on the ice at a time.  Then im not sure maybe take out walsh and put in one of the new guys llorca,stevens,lipari.  Cant really say but i believe defense was a huge reason we gave up so many goals.  Too many breakaways and odd man rushes.  They were way too small.  Two guys 5'7.  Played out of position too much.  So i dont really want to stand pat too much on defense. But a lot of hard decisions.  But the coach will have a lot more information on the list then us.  But really hoping alex vazquez comes back.  Was an enjoyment to watch him for the couple games we had him.  If we could i would take someone else off the protected list and add him.  But still a lot of what ifs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

Sorry Soul Man, but I think you like Cody and have lost sight of his game. Like Papa Smurf, #5 earned his stats. I know for a fact he was the beneficiary of the horrible statistician in Fayetteville (the black out game) and should have been an additional -2. (I had two buddies at that game who know how to score a game) He couldn't break a pane of glass with his shot. As for "reading the game" go back and look at that last game and see how he read the game. He committed more in zone turnovers than any two dmen combined. Come on man. And I hate to tell you this, but Chris Letang would still be Chris Letang whether here or the NHL, maybe not as many assists.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

You are incorrect in your assumptions but you have a right to state your opinion. Moving on... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
29 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

If the coach was sure ty was coming back and beirnes isnt retiring.  I would take out beirnes for de melo.  De melo played ok but going in we should play 1 more goalie more then the other.  De melo been in league a couple years now. So i believe ty has the most potential. Switching off too much in our games.  Only need 1 goalie on list i believe because only one can be on the ice at a time.  Then im not sure maybe take out walsh and put in one of the new guys llorca,stevens,lipari.  Cant really say but i believe defense was a huge reason we gave up so many goals.  Too many breakaways and odd man rushes.  They were way too small.  Two guys 5'7.  Played out of position too much.  So i dont really want to stand pat too much on defense. But a lot of hard decisions.  But the coach will have a lot more information on the list then us.  But really hoping alex vazquez comes back.  Was an enjoyment to watch him for the couple games we had him.  If we could i would take someone else off the protected list and add him.  But still a lot of what ifs.  

Good points about Melo,  I could live with that. I think any of those three D guys would be worth a chance. Yeah Vasquez was fun to watch wasn't he. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
 
5 hours ago, Soulmiser said:

If so I'd trade Gandara for Ty and maybe Anderson for Melo if I was confident he would come back but I'm not so sure. 

This is Bonar's 3rd year......each year he has been protected......look at the season Bonar had when he stayed all year.....Anderson could possibly do the same. I say protect him......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

My only problem with anderson is the same thing this year.  Getting called up and losing him like we did for whole year just about.  Plus he already retired once and way they make him sound he wants to be in higher league.  And every year he has played he has been in higher leagues.  Have a feeling he is going to an echl camp and probably make a team.

29 minutes ago, 10Antz18Life33 said:

This is Bonar's 3rd year......each year he has been protected......look at the season Bonar had when he stayed all year.....Anderson could possibly do the same. I say protect him......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 
3 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

On a related topic, the Dawgs announced today that Coach Ftorek will be participating in an "evaluation camp" in Toronto in mid-June.

Sounds like a good opportunity to look at some new talent.

http://railyarddawgs.pointstreaksites.com/view/roanokerailyarddawgs/news-1147/news_484515

 

 

Sounds like a good idea, even just to get our team name out there.  Im excited to see what kind of talent we bring in next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

Sam definitely has some big decisions to make.  Almost another rebuild job like last summer but with a handful of keepers. Also not going to be much time to gel similar to this year, on the job training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
3 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

On a related topic, the Dawgs announced today that Coach Ftorek will be participating in an "evaluation camp" in Toronto in mid-June.

Sounds like a good opportunity to look at some new talent.

http://railyarddawgs.pointstreaksites.com/view/roanokerailyarddawgs/news-1147/news_484515

 

 

Definately a good deal for our future team. Hopefully it will pay off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
On 4/12/2017 at 9:52 AM, Soulmiser said:

Protected 13

5    Walsh, Cody (R)    D - Best defensmen hope he stays, iron man.
4    Donnellan, Mike    D - Wasn't sold at first but he's gotten better, a steady hand at the back.
x    de Melo, Ryan    G  - looked bad at the end of the season with injury but he is good and enjoy his attitude.
8    Bronner, Phil    RW - hardest working guy on our team by far, fights for everything.
21    Brewer, Jackson    LW - On form this guy is amazing, I think he will get better.
30    Reichenbach, Ty (R)    G - This guy was solid if Anderson isn't back I'd take him over Ballmer.
11    Mele, Steve    C    - Can skate with speed with good players around him.
19    Vernace, Daniel    C - another hard worker on the ice, need his energy.
17    Driscoll, Mike    LW  - Can skate and has experience.
28    Babenko, Dmytro (R)    LW - puts in a shift every time.  
x     Spraggs, Riley (R)    RW  - This guy healthy with Brewer has great potential and a lot of goals.  
20    Tatrn, Zach    C  - Shows up with goals when you need them. 
26    Gintoli, Peter (R) - Great player for his size, love his energy.   
  
Retired

7    Schneider, Nick    D - retire
X Beirnes, Jeremy    LW   - retire
X Murray, Colin    LW     - retire 

Training Camp

X    Anderson, Brandon    G - not sure about this but possible he comes back to work with Melo
33    Ballmer, Joey (R)  - Ballmer was pretty good but I rated Ty better, if Anderson/Reichenbach don't come back I'll take him.
X    Boyle, Tim    D - If he was injured in ECHL he might come back to work his way up again.
X    Vazquez, Alex (R)    RW - would like to see this guy come back
x    Gandara, David (R)    LW - has a lot of potential, good stats for someone who played so little.

After looking at this again Im surprised you didnt list (D) Travis Armstrong in your protected list. 

Also, Jackson Brewer will play in the AIHL starting this weekend. He will be on the Sydney Bears roster with Fayetteville's (D) Nicholas Rivait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

Assumed Armstrong was staying in the ECHL but I'd take him back for sure. Good to see Brewer still playing I'll have to follow them and see how he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I don't see Armstrong returning, he spent more time this season in the ECHL than he did with us, 29 games between 5 teams versus 22 with us but if he comes back he would definitely be a welcomed addition to the roster. I also read that Tyler Noseworthy would be joining Brewer and Rivait in Sydney as soon as the Havocs run in the playoffs comes to an end. 

Edited by vicvegas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Posted (edited)

Just read an interview with Beirnes and he definitely is not planning on hanging up his skates yet. He said he would love to be back in Roanoke next year but hopes to make the move up to the ECHL

https://www.pucksters.com/sphl-news/threads/jeremy-beirnes-interview.303/

Edited by vicvegas
Added link to interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.