Roanokehockey

Roanoke Times Season Recap

8 posts in this topic

Interesting that Ftorek is called "the best coach in the league."  I like him, but the jury is still out on that one. But in his defense, the call-ups, injuries, and lack of ice made his job VERY difficult.

I also hate inaccurate reporting - Massimo was traded on 2/27, not in January as stated in the story, and the team went 3-9-3 afterwards. That should be an easy fact to check by a writer BEFORE running a story.

I do agree, however, that the future is bright.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/roanoke_rail_yard_dawgs/no-playoffs-but-rail-yard-dawgs-persevere-through-inaugural-season/article_5600b98e-8c6f-51dc-8a55-ecb1fa4b6437.html

"There's no bad publicity except an obituary notice." -- Brendan Behan, Irish writer (1923-1964)

8 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Interesting that Ftorek is called "the best coach in the league."  I like him, but the jury is still out on that one. But in his defense, the call-ups, injuries, and lack of ice made his job VERY difficult.

I also hate inaccurate reporting - Massimo was traded on 2/27, not in January as stated in the story, and the team went 3-9-3 afterwards. That should be an easy fact to check by a writer BEFORE running a story.

I do agree, however, that the future is bright.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/roanoke_rail_yard_dawgs/no-playoffs-but-rail-yard-dawgs-persevere-through-inaugural-season/article_5600b98e-8c6f-51dc-8a55-ecb1fa4b6437.html

Haha.  Did he really just say that?  We have to outshoot someone and win the game for him to be considered coach of the year.  Like the owners optimism.  But far from best coach.  I could see if we get bigger, stronger, and better but still cant generate more scoring chances vs the shots we give up.  Our special teams. We might be talking about getting rid of the best coach in the league.  Our owner isnt scared with his predictions.  Contend for championship this year and now rhe best coach.  Hope we do a lot better. But Ftorek has a long way to go before getting best coach award.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Haha.  Did he really just say that?  ... Our owner isnt scared with his predictions.  Contend for championship this year and now rhe best coach.  ... Ftorek has a long way to go before getting best coach award.

“We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.” -- Samuel Langhorne Clemens (1835-1910)

Hard to get a good read after first season especially being expansion. It was an abnormal amount of injuries and we had a few good players getting called up.  You can only get what is available, Sam wasn't passing up good players on purpose, he knows what he needs and we started seeing that as the season went on.  I suspect a lot of the smaller guys he brought in were meant to be temporary , instead became permanent. I think they will get this right, I'm optimistic and think we will be a much better team next year. Hard to tell about best coach but he has a chance to prove us wrong next year. 

Even in a transaction-heavy league, Roanoke was forced into an inordinate amount of moves. Thirty players who were on the team at some point in 2016/17 weren’t on the final roster, having been injured, waived, called up or traded.

Inordinate might be a little strong here. Evansville and Columbus were right there with them, and I think that's a real indicator to your success. High turnover is going to make winning harder.

I'm not aware of an easy place to get those injury-day numbers, but if you work off average games played by people on the roster at the end of season you see Evansville ~26, Roanoke ~28.5, and Columbus ~31 games played with the team all season.

I'm not suggesting that Evansville or Roanoke should be particularly upset with their management / coaches. It's their first season, and that sort of turnover is to be expected. I wouldn't be calling a guy leading the 9th place team the "best in the league", but realistically it's just words. Back your guy publicly right up until you ditch him since there's no benefit from undermining him before that.

2 people like this

He did say "i think he's the best coach in the league right now'.  He might be back down to around the 9th best in the league now, since he slept that comment off.  But really, it might add a lot of pressure to your coach with such high expectations.  I think we had a pretty good first season.  But we had a lot of mistakes on the ice.  My biggest is we gave up way too many shots, while not getting enough. Not going to win many games getting doubled and tripled in shots on goal. Cant get over the stat that we didnt win a game all year when outshooting our opponents. Not sure if its the system the coach plays or was our player personnel.  The second year should tell us alot more answers to our questions we have about the team.  I believe the jury is still out on being a good coach in the league.  Long ways away from being considered great.

13 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

But really, it might add a lot of pressure to your coach with such high expectations...  My biggest is we gave up way too many shots, while not getting enough. Not going to win many games getting doubled and tripled in shots on goal. Cant get over the stat that we didnt win a game all year when outshooting our opponents...

No coach should put too much stock in communication with the media from management. That'll be on them if they fail to convey the real expectations privately.

As far as the shots, if the team isn't winning any games when outshooting opponents then shot count probably isn't the whole issue, but shot selection. When you're getting significantly outshot though you create all sorts of issues that won't bode well.