SASRACE

Not Good News

16 posts in this topic

That sucks!

"securing new ownership in order to bring the team back for the 2018-2019 season"  Back to Columbus or the SPHL?

I know the team had insurance but I can’t help feeling like the bus crash played a part in the demise of the snakes…

1 person likes this

Awards

2 hours ago, Pink Willie said:

I know the team had insurance but I can’t help feeling like the bus crash played a part in the demise of the snakes…

I think you're right. 

I believe the crash would be considered workers comp and typically the premiums on workers comp are based on history of payouts.  If the payout from the crash was substantial (and I would think that it was) then the premiums would be substantial.

Awards

The Amos' were looking to get out as early as the beginning of the season but the bus crash definitely helped secure the decision.

I can say that the Snakes are definitely expected back but the process was taking too long for this season and the move allows for the rest of the league to get going with 2017-18.

2 people like this

Awards

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

The Amos' were looking to get out as early as the beginning of the season but the bus crash definitely helped secure the decision.

I can say that the Snakes are definitely expected back but the process was taking too long for this season and the move allows for the rest of the league to get going with 2017-18.

Exactly right, but I'm not so sure of a return. We all know how those things go

Awards

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, TSanders said:

Exactly right, but I'm not so sure of a return. We all know how those things go

15 hours ago, TSanders said:

Quite right- who knows if the IceGators or the Surge will come back, with those nicknames or with another name. However, Macon and Roanoke got hockey back after a hiatus- with different team names and arguably  whether they are new franchises or just transplants from elsewhere (see other thread "break out the brooms" in the Macon forum)

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

On 5/4/2017 at 0:31 PM, PlannedObsolescence said:

Quite right- who knows if the IceGators or the Surge will come back, with those nicknames or with another name. However, Macon and Roanoke got hockey back after a hiatus- with different team names and arguably  whether they are new franchises or just transplants from elsewhere (see other thread "break out the brooms" in the Macon forum)

Right, but in the case of both cities, the hiatus was over a decade. Not sure fans in Columbus are preparing themselves for that.

Awards

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, Pink Willie said:

I believe that was the straw that broke the camels back. The team was losing money each year but the bus crash was the final financial strain that Wanda couldn't overcome.

I fear that as much as JB wants Columbus to return, if he takes another job somewhere else next year, who will advocate for the Snakes return?

Sad day for Snakes fans and hockey in Columbus, especially the young kids in the community, it won't be the same for them. The Snakes were such a big part of the youth hockey experience in Columbus. I hope the sport returns very quickly

Awards

I saw this in Roanoke's Q&A with Bob McGinn today...... He mentions some potential buyers for Columbus. 

How was attendance this fall? What does the future look like for the Rail Yard Dawgs and the rest of the SPHL? Ian S.

League average attendance was 2,967 per game and we averaged 3,136 for the year so slightly above average. I believe the future is very strong both for the Dawgs and the SPHL. We will welcome a new team to the league next year in the form of the Birmingham Bulls. Many of you may have seen that the Columbus Cottonmouths have suspended operations for the upcoming season but I am hearing new owners are just around the corner and if all works out the Cottonmouths will be back for the 2018-19 season. Commissioner Jim Combs of the SPHL spends a lot of his day fielding enquires from potential owners and cities asking about franchises. We are in a growth mode that will continue for a few years in my opinion. Come on Richmond, join the party!!!!

1 person likes this

Awards

5 hours ago, 10Antz18Life33 said:

I saw this in Roanoke's Q&A with Bob McGinn today...... He mentions some potential buyers for Columbus. 

How was attendance this fall? What does the future look like for the Rail Yard Dawgs and the rest of the SPHL? Ian S.

League average attendance was 2,967 per game and we averaged 3,136 for the year so slightly above average. I believe the future is very strong both for the Dawgs and the SPHL. We will welcome a new team to the league next year in the form of the Birmingham Bulls. Many of you may have seen that the Columbus Cottonmouths have suspended operations for the upcoming season but I am hearing new owners are just around the corner and if all works out the Cottonmouths will be back for the 2018-19 season. Commissioner Jim Combs of the SPHL spends a lot of his day fielding enquires from potential owners and cities asking about franchises. We are in a growth mode that will continue for a few years in my opinion. Come on Richmond, join the party!!!!

I really hope that is true, but I am afraid without a change in venue or restructuring as to how the Cottonmouths pay the city for the lease of the rink, potential owners will see how much Wanda Amos lost every year, and realize it just isn't worth it. The city may be willing to renegotiate after having the Civic Center sit empty for the first winter in over 20yrs

1 person likes this

Awards

16 minutes ago, sniper said:

I really hope that is true, but I am afraid without a change in venue or restructuring as to how the Cottonmouths pay the city for the lease of the rink, potential owners will see how much Wanda Amos lost every year, and realize it just isn't worth it. The city may be willing to renegotiate after having the Civic Center sit empty for the first winter in over 20yrs

Exactly. Restructure the lease agreement and the concessions agreement. City has leached off of this franchise for many years

2 people like this

Awards

Jerome Bechard is Not the head coach for the Birmingham Bulls!!!

Awards

8 hours ago, ublendsowell said:

Jerome Bechard is Not the head coach for the Birmingham Bulls!!!

Yeah I read that in another post, very shocked, thought for sure JB would be the guy, especially after he promoted the new hockey team in Birmingham just recently at an event. Wonder if he will be a GM or in the front office?

Awards