Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


Bullsman

Head Coach?

50 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

That is near where Craigen is from. But Jamey was already with the Bulls by the time Mike laced up his first pair of OPJHL skates.

Jamey Hicks
Center
Born Aug 23 1969 -- Timmins, ONT
Height 5.10 -- Weight 175 -- Shoots Right
      Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
1985-86 Kitchener Rangers OHL 2 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
1986-87 Peterborough Petes OHL 55 11 19 30 45 12 0 3 3 2
1987-88 Peterborough Petes OHL 43 11 26 37 22 1 0 0 0 2
1988-89 Peterborough Petes OHL 58 18 39 57 38 17 8 20 28 14
1989-90 Peterborough Petes OHL 2 0 3 3 4 -- -- -- -- --
1989-90 Owen Sound Platers OHL 57 36 54 90 65 -- -- -- -- --
1991-92 Austria Intl 28 43 26 69 44          
1991-92 Ayr Raiders BHL 20 39 32 71 10          
1992-93 Brantford Smoke CoHL 59 22 41 63 52 15 8 5 13 32
1993-94 Rochester Americans AHL 2 0 0 0 4 -- -- -- -- --
1993-94 Brantford Smoke CoHL 62 37 44 81 64 7 5 5 10 2
1994-95 Saginaw Wheels CoHL 71 42 60 102 113 11 8 8 16 16
1994-95 Buffalo Stampede RHI 7 2 3 5 1          
1994-95 Fort Wayne Komets IHL 1 0 0 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
1995-96 Saginaw Wheels CoHL 73 38 78 116 64 5 2 4 6 6
1995-96 Utah Grizzlies IHL 3 0 0 0 6 -- -- -- -- --
1996-97 Birmingham Bulls ECHL 70 32 59 91 87 8 6 8 14 12
1997-98 Birmingham Bulls ECHL 70 44 75 119 70 4 2 3 5 0
1997-98 Houston Aeros IHL 2 1 0 1 4 -- -- -- -- --
1998-99 Birmingham Bulls ECHL 65 16 75 91 60 5 4 4 8 4
1999-00 Birmingham Bulls ECHL 62 33 55 88 71 -- -- -- -- --
1999-00 Worcester IceCats AHL 8 1 0 1 2 -- -- -- -- --
2000-01 Birmingham Bulls ECHL 68 34 50 84 64 -- -- -- -- --
2001-02 Arkansas RiverBlades ECHL 17 3 4 7 6 -- -- -- -- --
Jamey Hicks statistics provided by hockeyDB.com

 

Those stats leave off the important stuff:

Roller Hockey
Season  Team                       Lge   GP   G   A   Pts   PIM   +/-
1995      Buffalo Stampede   RHI    7      2   3     5       1      3

Coaching
Season    Team                  Lge    Type
2002-03   Saginaw Spirit   OHL   Assistant
2003-04   Saginaw Spirit   OHL   Assistant

Awards
Year         Lge    Award
1993-94   UHL   Best Defensive Forward

SPHL teams tend to recruit from the same regions repeatedly, though, and I would think their connections in that area would overlap.  I don't think Craigen has a deep recruiting base, so it will likely hurt him.  Hicks significant travel over many years has likely deepened his recruiting pools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

How would any of this hurt Craigen? For one thing, Hicks has been out of the business for over a dozen years.

BTW, I think Craigen would argue the idea of him not having a deep recruiting base - particularly up in Ontario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Odd that they pick a guy with no head coaching experience and the last time he was even an assistant was 13 yrs ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Apparently, he "has coached minor hockey".

Former Peterborough Petes player Jamey Hickey named head coach of SPHL Birmingham Bulls

By The Peterborough Examiner

Quote

Jamey Hicks is back in pro hockey.

The Petes alumnus and Peterborough resident was introduced Thursday as head coach of the reborn Birmingham Bulls franchise in Alabama. The team will play in the Southern Professional Hockey League beginning in the 2017-18 season. His hiring was announced at a press conference in Birmingham.

Some of Hicks's most successful seasons in an 11-year pro hockey career came with the Bulls when they were in the ECHL. He had a 119-point season in 1997-98.

Following his playing days, Hicks, 47, was an assistant coach for two seasons with the OHL's Saginaw Spirit from 1992-94 before returning to Peterborough with his young family. Hicks has worked most recently for Canadian Hockey Enterprises and has coached minor hockey in Peterborough.

...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
23 hours ago, MacGuy said:

How would any of this hurt Craigen? For one thing, Hicks has been out of the business for over a dozen years.

BTW, I think Craigen would argue the idea of him not having a deep recruiting base - particularly up in Ontario.

Because adding an additional coach with recruiting ties in the same area creates increased competition for that group of possible recruits.  Every time you add a coach with contacts primary to the same region, you dilute the likelihood of getting that player without competition.  Craigen has had a number of players through the years that have had ties to the Peterborough and adjacent regions North and East of GTA.  Hicks has direct ties to Peterborough, and Craigen is from an area just outside Peterborough.  It is inevitable that they will be placing phone calls in the same circle of contacts in that realm of the hockey world.  Craigen is suspected of being a poor recruiter anyway, so if Hicks has a formidable Rolodex, it will hurt Craigen significantly.  If it hurts him badly enough with the Juniors from that area, his recruiting base outside of there consists mainly of a few Northeast Division III schools where he seems to have consistent contacts.  I think this creates a competition for players that doesn't benefit Craigen at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
32 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

... Hicks has direct ties to Peterborough, and Craigen is from an area just outside Peterborough.  It is inevitable that they will be placing phone calls in the same circle of contacts in that realm of the hockey world.  Craigen is suspected of being a poor recruiter anyway, so if Hicks has a formidable Rolodex, it will hurt Craigen significantly.  If it hurts him badly enough with the Juniors from that area, his recruiting base outside of there consists mainly of a few Northeast Division III schools where he seems to have consistent contacts.  I think this creates a competition for players that doesn't benefit Craigen at all.

If Coach Craigen is a "poor recruiter" as you say, then it's unlikely he'd get any better recruiting from the same market where he may have failed in the past.  So maybe this will be an opportunity for him to focus more on the recruiting aspects of his position.

On another positive note, having a competing team an hour closer by bus ride (Birmingham now vs. Columbus before) will certainly benefit Craigen & his team over a season's worth of travel.  That affords another 2 hours per weekend of practice or weight training or rest or whatever the individual/collective players need to improve their performance.

So don't worry about the I'Bears, they'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Because adding an additional coach with recruiting ties in the same area creates increased competition for that group of possible recruits.  Every time you add a coach with contacts primary to the same region, you dilute the likelihood of getting that player without competition.

That's assuming Hicks is "a coach with recruiting ties/contacts".What we know is, he is the Executive Marketing & Hockey Director for a company that hosts hockey camps and tournaments and he spent 2 seasons as an assistant coach for a junior hockey team 13 years ago. Compared to an actual coach with minor pro experience for the last 7 years including a league championship. Just sayin'.

I have nothing against Hicks and hope the best for the new Bulls franchise. But I think it was a stretch to say he'll have that much negative impact on any active coach's recruiting efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

That's assuming Hicks is "a coach with recruiting ties/contacts".What we know is, he is the Executive Marketing & Hockey Director for a company that hosts hockey camps and tournaments and he spent 2 seasons as an assistant coach for a junior hockey team 13 years ago. Compared to an actual coach with minor pro experience for the last 7 years including a league championship. Just sayin'.

I have nothing against Hicks and hope the best for the new Bulls franchise. But I think it was a stretch to say he'll have that much negative impact on any active coach's recruiting efforts.

I don't know how great his contacts are, but it's inevitable that he and Craigen will cross paths with the same circle of people in that area.  Just having hockey people in the area mention multiple coaches names to possible prospects divides the attention.  It might be 99% bad, it might be 1% bad; but it's definitely not a better situation for Knoxville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What's he been doing for the last decade since he hasn't been coaching?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
On 5/12/2017 at 1:51 PM, MacGuy said:

How would any of this hurt Craigen? For one thing, Hicks has been out of the business for over a dozen years.

BTW, I think Craigen would argue the idea of him not having a deep recruiting base - particularly up in Ontario.

Exactly what i was thinking...been about fifteen years since he was an assistant coach.  What has he done since those days?  Either way, i wish him the best of luck until he plays my dawgs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 
5 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Exactly what i was thinking...been about fifteen years since he was an assistant coach.  What has he done since those days?  Either way, i wish him the best of luck until he plays my dawgs.  

I'm fairly certain he has been involved with a hockey camp and training enterprise for quite a bit of that time.  I would think that would have maintained his contacts in the hockey world, as well as built additional contacts beyond his playing and coaching days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Jamie Hicks. Mr. Shorthanded Natural Hat Trick himself. I think it will be a good fit. Glad to see him back in the area. One of the best shootout toe drags in hockey. lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
On 5/12/2017 at 0:51 PM, MacGuy said:

How would any of this hurt Craigen? For one thing, Hicks has been out of the business for over a dozen years. ...

 

19 hours ago, Speedracer said:

What's he been doing for the last decade since he hasn't been coaching?

 

13 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Exactly what i was thinking...been about fifteen years since he was an assistant coach.  What has he done since those days? ...

Methinks y'all're underestimating the intrinsic values of working for many years in the minor hockey biz in Ontario.  Lots of professional contacts are made (especially when NHL players & front office folks send their kids to hockey camps and tourneys), hockey development skills are honed (great experience for an entry-level minor pro coach), and the love for the game is intensified (enthusiasm being a key strength for a new head coach).  We should all be lauding the Bulls organization for thinking outside the (penalty) box & hiring someone with a background in developing players and their skills.  And Hicks' name recognition within Birmingham hockey circles can be mighty valuable as well, as long as he & the front office leverage it correctly.

Good luck, B'Bulls.  file.php?avatar=17225_1428601154.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
On 5/13/2017 at 4:22 PM, Carey Mahoney said:

I don't know how great his contacts are, but it's inevitable that he and Craigen will cross paths with the same circle of people in that area.  Just having hockey people in the area mention multiple coaches names to possible prospects divides the attention.  It might be 99% bad, it might be 1% bad; but it's definitely not a better situation for Knoxville.

What's with the unhealthy fixation with Craigen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

How many people in Birmingham will remember a guy from 20yrs ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
5 hours ago, fred said:

How many people in Birmingham will remember a guy from 20yrs ago?

Probably any hockey fan over the age of 30 or 40.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
11 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

What's with the unhealthy fixation with Craigen?

Not any fixation, except he has been criticized for poor recruiting and his base of recruiting overlaps Birmingham's coach now.  Moot point, by the way, as Craigen was let go today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
31 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

and his base of recruiting overlaps Birmingham's coach now.

By at least 1%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
9 hours ago, fred said:

How many people in Birmingham will remember a guy from 20yrs ago?

 

3 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Probably any hockey fan over the age of 30 or 40.

So how many people in Huntsville would give a crap if Dubois came here to coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, fred said:

So how many people in Huntsville would give a crap if Dubois came here to coach?

Would that be Blanche Dubois, from Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire"?  I'd like to see how she dresses for all your lovely friends, fred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
15 hours ago, fred said:

 

So how many people in Huntsville would give a crap if Dubois came here to coach?

It is highly unlikely that Jonathan Dubois would be Huntsville's next coach- he hasn't even come for any of the recent "Legends" games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
3 hours ago, hockeydoc said:

It is highly unlikely that Jonathan Dubois would be Huntsville's next coach- he hasn't even come for any of the recent "Legends" games.

And nobody cares was my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
17 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Would that be Blanche Dubois, from Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire"?  I'd like to see how she dresses for all your lovely friends, fred.

Have you been hanging around that PlannedObsolescence dingbat?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, fred said:

Have you been hanging around that PlannedObsolescence dingbat?

I don't remember P.O. in "Streetcar" - was it the role of "Pablo" or "Allan Grey"?  :dontgetit:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
On 5/15/2017 at 2:48 AM, fred said:

How many people in Birmingham will remember a guy from 20yrs ago?

I must admit I went to numerous games back in the 90's for the ECHL Bulls and can barely remember any players besides Jerome Bechard and Jamey Hicks. Go back 40 years to the WHA Bulls and I can name you a lot of those players. The one thing I do know is Art Clarkson is a very good minor league owner so I have to trust them on Jamey Hicks as coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×