MacGuy

Local hockey team changes name to Marksmen

15 posts in this topic

Local hockey team changes name to Marksmen

By Thomas Pope - The Observer

Professional ice hockey in Fayetteville on Friday underwent the first of many changes its new owners plan to make.

The FireAntz, a 15-year, charter member of the Southern Professional Hockey League, have been rebranded as the Marksmen for the 2017-18 season. A change in team colors, while not unveiled Friday, will be similar to that of the Anaheim Ducks. The as-yet-unnamed mascot is based on a red fox, with an ‘M’ on its forehead and lightning bolts for eyebrows.

“Once we knew we were going to finalize the deal with (Howard) Bullard and the other owners, we knew that we were probably going to do a rebrand,” said majority owner Chuck Norris, who came to Fayetteville in 1989 as an Army private. “For me personally, the name of the team needed to somehow reflect the nature of the town; that it paid homage, in some way, to our most elite fighting soldiers in the world, which is right here at Fort Bragg.

“Most of our town, I think, is a very tough town,” he added, citing the large number of military veterans and retirees in the area. “I thought that it would link everything together. I thought it would be a little better than the FireAntz. Nothing against the FireAntz brand, I just thought that Marksmen would be more symbolic of the town and the area.”

Read more at: http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/20170512/local-hockey-team-changes-name-to-marksmen

For all FireAntz fans who complained about the former ownership not catering to the military demographic in the region ... your voices were heard.  teddy-bear-soldier.gif

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

For all FireAntz fans who complained about the former ownership not catering to the military demographic in the region ... your voices were heard.  teddy-bear-soldier.gif

Believe it or not, there are plenty who are whining about the name change. It seems some just like to complain....

2 people like this

Good luck to the new owners, I like the rebranding idea with new ownership they have a large population in that area at Fort Bragg, if they can appeal to even a small percentage of Military hockey fans, they may change things around for the city!

Good luck

1 person likes this

Awards

From way far away....I am no a fan of the new name.
I thought FireAntz was a very unique identifier.
Marksmen caught me off-guard and just felt very "meh". I was underwhelmed.

I remember the Mudbugs...wish I'd have gotten a jersey. I'd put this in the same category. I like the Lansing Lugnuts, as well.
Sorry to see the FireAntz name go. 

Alas, I don't deserve a say...

1 person likes this

Awards

11 hours ago, jbgentry said:

Believe it or not, there are plenty who are whining about the name change. It seems some just like to complain....

You can't satisfy everyone...after a few games they'll be ok. If not then they truely don't love hockey...or hockey in Fayetteville. I myself feel thankful that someone is putting this much time and money into our team to make it awesome again. This season was the poorest attendance and excitement altogether until these guys came in. Cant wait to see what other changes will be taking place. I would suggest we get a new led scoreboard similar to the checkers style or like most teams in the echl have went to. Other than that i cant wait!

2 people like this

And honestly, if a few of the current fans are upset and stop coming over a name change....oh well. The more important thing in all of this is to get NEW fans coming to games. I like the name change and rebranding and trust me, there are plenty of new fans out there in the community that need to be reached.

5 people like this

I loved the FireAntz name, but I can't see complaining.  This is an effort to connect with the heavy military demographic in the area.  The loss of novelty of the FireAntz name is worth the tradeoff of seeing this new ownership group making efforts that appeared absent from the former ownership.  Good luck to the Marksmen!  I've visited a few times, and that building should be much more full than it has been.  This ownership group seems to have a clue so far.

5 people like this

Move over FireAntz, the Marksmen are here! Although I dearly loved the FireAntz name (and all my FireAntz swag), I also understand how toxic the brand had become in Fayetteville. Lots of bridges burned over the years with corporate sponsors, season ticket holders, and fans in general. Even with the change in ownership, the Antz brand was so tainted that it would have been nearly impossible to overcome moving forward. Now we start with a fresh slate! Some people are saying "RIP FireAntz" like this is such a bad thing. Exactly the opposite. Thank God for Chuck, Jeff, and all the new staff. They not only rescued a sinking ship, they righted the boat, lifted the sails, and are getting ready to blast forward like nothing you've ever seen!!!

They don't use the term "sponsorship", vying instead for "PARTNERship" which shows a true mindset change to give back to the businesses that help them. How many sponsors in the past literally got NOTHING in return for sponsoring the Antz except a tax deduction for advertising? It's a new day folks! Instead of losing hockey in Fayetteville (like Columbus), these folks not only saved it, they are investing THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars into what WE love...Fayetteville hockey! Hold on folks...YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!

4 people like this

Awards

I was shocked to see the Antz brand go ... but these guys have a huge vision and are working on a 5 yr deal with the Crown that will have a 2nd 5 yr option ... they are not playing around!

the Carolina Red Fox is indigenous to the area and the Marksmen name gives homage to Fayetteville's close military ties ... ties that I for one think  were NEVER tapped into like they should have been!

many of us remember the days of the Antz leading the attendance in the S ... and I see us getting back to that!!

We have a FULL staff of people in the office ... the monthly payment plan for season tickets is awesome ... look what they did in a short time for the two games they were in charge of ... imagine what they will do with an entire off season to promote! 

I for one am excited .... Go Marksmen!!!

i do however have 8 Antz jerseys that I have over $2k in .... for a sale lol

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, WLTG said:

the Carolina Red Fox is indigenous to the area and the Marksmen name gives homage to Fayetteville's close military ties ... ties that I for one think  were NEVER tapped into like they should have been!

I just hope this franchise has a better chance of survival than the real-life Carolina Red Fox. According to the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission:

The red fox is the one of two types of foxes found in North Carolina.

The red fox is named for its reddish or orangish coloration. The tail, body and top of the head are all some shade of yellow-orange to reddish-orange. The undersides are light, and the tips of the ears and lower legs are black.

While rare in North Carolina, red foxes can occur in other color variations, such as black, silver, or a cross between red and silver, commonly known as a “cross fox.”

Edited by PlannedObsolescence
correction

1 hour ago, WLTG said:

i do however have 8 Antz jerseys that I have over $2k in .... for a sale lol

There has been interest in that sort of thing here. You could probably unload some of it.

12 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

.. It's a new day folks! Instead of losing hockey in Fayetteville (like Columbus), these folks not only saved it, they are investing THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars into what WE love...Fayetteville hockey! Hold on folks...YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!

Unless the new owners are are investing HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS upon HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars, the Marksmen will be the next target in Fayetteville.  Let's hope your math ain't none too good.  :hmm:

10 hours ago, WLTG said:

... i do however have 8 Antz jerseys that I have over $2k in .... for a sale lol

9 hours ago, MacGuy said:

There has been interest in that sort of thing here. You could probably unload some of it.

+1.  Post some descriptions & a few photos in the Swap Meet forum.  Multisyllabic member SPHLdawgshavocmayhembolts is already on the prowl for Antz kit, and I might be interested in a piece from your collection as well.  Might as well built up some cash to start your next collection.  :clover:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Unless the new owners are are investing HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS upon HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars, the Marksmen will be the next target in Fayetteville.  Let's hope your math ain't none too good.  :hmm:

My math is fine. Don't take the term so literal. These guys are the real deal with a commitment for the long haul.

2 people like this

Awards