Volstate

Ice Bears coach Craigen not returning

56 posts in this topic

Sources close to the team tell that the decision to fire Craigen was done before the playoffs, and that the successor to Craigen has already been identified. The front office wanted to delay the announcement until now so that it would not affect season ticket sales.

19 minutes ago, kiblet said:

Sources close to the team tell that the decision to fire Craigen was done before the playoffs, and that the successor to Craigen has already been identified. The front office wanted to delay the announcement until now so that it would not affect season ticket sales.

That says a lot about the fan base that the team figured more people would not renew if he were let go...it was the opposite with me.

People get too attached to these guys, what with the access they have to them and personal bonds they form, and let that get in the way of the fact that 'Oh, this team has been a dumpster fire for years now, but lets keep the coach because I kinda know him a little and he's a good guy.'

Awards

18 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Had no idea Barry Smith was anywhere around here.  Interesting, but how old is he now?  Update:  I get the two Barry Smith hockey coaches mixed up.  The former Knoxville coach is actually deceased.

I was talking about Former Cherokees coach Smith. The one that s*canned Mike Murray to the Dayton Bombers (I still have a button/Magnet with his mug on it) and earned the ire of the fanbase because of it. I had no idea he died.

His son was a brat, btw...  ^_^

2 hours ago, kiblet said:

That makes sense, except for one thing. Craigen posted a letter to the Season Ticket Holders on Friday discussing at length his analysis of this last season, his recruiting plans for the upcoming season, and the closing comment: "see you in October."

Make sure to read the News Sentinel article if you are interested in Craigen's thoughts after his release.

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

That makes sense, except for one thing. Craigen posted a letter to the Season Ticket Holders on Friday discussing at length his analysis of this last season, his recruiting plans for the upcoming season, and the closing comment: "see you in October."

Make sure to read the News Sentinel article if you are interested in Craigen's thoughts after his release.

It makes sense if the front office wanted to smokescreen the STHs that might bail if they found out he'd been canned.

Awards

I think from listening to the people around my area of seating that there are not many flavors of Kool Aid left for the team management or SMG to give us.  Eventually on this road it leads to no hockey in Knoxville.  People are unhappy with the lack of friendliness to the spectators, the lackluster intermissions, and the so called security screenings.  Its easier to get into a pro event than try and guess which procedures are going to be enforced every night.  There is no consistency on any front right now.  Guess its time to start reserving hotel rooms in Smashville.  At least fans get treated like fans there. 

Awards

1 hour ago, twilder964 said:

I think from listening to the people around my area of seating that there are not many flavors of Kool Aid left for the team management or SMG to give us.  Eventually on this road it leads to no hockey in Knoxville.  People are unhappy with the lack of friendliness to the spectators, the lackluster intermissions, and the so called security screenings.  Its easier to get into a pro event than try and guess which procedures are going to be enforced every night.  There is no consistency on any front right now.  Guess its time to start reserving hotel rooms in Smashville.  At least fans get treated like fans there. 

I think the IceBears have typically been fan friendly through the years.  The current problem is compounded.  I believe the Ice Bears got a bit arrogant about their success at the box office, and SMG was put into place with their absolutely tone deaf approach to arena management. That made the experience decline rapidly over the past year and a half.  I don't think the KIB management saw it coming until season ticket renewal time.  It appears they were surprised.

You can manage an arena like SMG does if it is a modern facility.  You cannot ask people to come to a dump like the Coliseum and watch low level hockey without allowing some type of "different" atmosphere to the repeat customers.

42 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

I don't think the KIB management saw it coming until season ticket renewal time.  It appears they were surprised.

You have inside knowledge of this?

55 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

You have inside knowledge of this?

I have extrapolation of conclusions drawn from first and second hand comments of ownership and management relative to a perceived and possible panic with season ticket renewal and a previous disregard for the effect SMG management was imparting on long time season ticket holders and their perception and reaction to the current arena experience coupled with a frustration of on-ice performance.  So, pretty much, yes.

2 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

I have extrapolation of conclusions drawn from first and second hand comments of ownership and management relative to a perceived and possible panic with season ticket renewal and a previous disregard for the effect SMG management was imparting on long time season ticket holders and their perception and reaction to the current arena experience coupled with a frustration of on-ice performance.  

One Sentence.  :bananachoochoo:

...which started with "I have extrapolation of conclusions".

Where's P.O. when you need her?

49 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Yeah, that's minced words because I don't really want to share the conversations I've heard directly or indirectly.  The Ice Bears people are good people, but they need to understand they had two serious issues.  Those were coaching/team performance and arena experience.  I'm afraid if they don't fix both, they won't continue to be strong.  That would be a shame.  One seems to have been noted already.  It'll be interesting if they can or will do anything about the other.  I"m not sure they have the power to influence the other completely.  I know they were approaching the arena management issue with somewhat of an arrogance from what I heard, and that was tied to ticket sales/renewals.  Evidence suggests ticket sales are not as strong as prior, so that arrogance that was clearly heard may not be in place any longer and I've been told of conversations that strongly suggest that.

I really don't understand the SMG hate/issues, that was the most peripheral of my concerns this last season.  Other than the cattle chutes and security theatre, neither of which delayed me more than 20-30sec, the game-day experience didn't seem to change once they took over.  Was there something I missed or didn't encounter?

Awards

4 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

I have extrapolation of conclusions drawn from first and second hand comments of ownership and management relative to a perceived and possible panic with season ticket renewal and a previous disregard for the effect SMG management was imparting on long time season ticket holders and their perception and reaction to the current arena experience coupled with a frustration of on-ice performance.  So, pretty much, yes.

4 hours ago, ShaunS said:

One Sentence.  :bananachoochoo:

2 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Had some meetings today- can't stay on the forum 24/7/365 like some folks. ShaunS beat me to it. The number of Grammar Police men/women keep increasing!!!

Awards

Don't let these mooks stifle your creativity, Carey.  That whole "extrapolation of conclusions drawn from first and second hand comments" thing of yours was pure message board gold.  Happy-Leprachan-with-pot-of-gold.gif

10 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Don't let these mooks stifle your creativity, Carey.  That whole "extrapolation of conclusions drawn from first and second hand comments" thing of yours was pure message board gold.  Happy-Leprachan-with-pot-of-gold.gif

It was intended to sound as stupid as it did.  Some use emojis, I use literary crayons.

12 hours ago, bcruze said:

I really don't understand the SMG hate/issues, that was the most peripheral of my concerns this last season.  Other than the cattle chutes and security theatre, neither of which delayed me more than 20-30sec, the game-day experience didn't seem to change once they took over.  Was there something I missed or didn't encounter?

Security procedures changing nightly was the primary issue.  I know of an incident with a security guard on the head end of the cattle chute cursing out a fan for no reason.  They also had bizarre procedures going on with the ushers making it difficult to take part in a number of game day activities for the fans, as well as general movement in the arena.  I think one of the most telling failings of SMG was the embarrassing operation of the zamboni.  They had no one that could resurface the ice even to an amateur level until they got a trained zamboni driver sometime around about Christmas.  They appear to have lost the entire city maintenance staff from the Coliseum with the changeover, and those guys operated the zamboni previously with no issues.

I'm not 100% sure it is purely SMG.  They run some other arenas I've frequented in a very professional manner.  It seems to be more of an issue in Knoxville.  I'm not sure if that's intentional or just incompetence.  Are the Knoxville Coliseum operators from the Knoxville Convention Center?  I suspect operating a convention center and arena are quite different.

1 hour ago, Carey Mahoney said:

It was intended to sound as stupid as it did.  Some use emojis, I use literary crayons.

I use a laxative, until the feeling goes away.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

I use a laxative, until the feeling goes away.

Then, :happens:. There's almost no better feeling than a good dump!

Awards

My biggest pet peeve with SMG was not the security, but the inability to replace light bulbs.  I bet there were more than 20 ice surface lights out by the end of the season.

Awards

Just now, RedJackson said:

My biggest pet peeve with SMG was not the security, but the inability to replace light bulbs.  I bet there were more than 20 ice surface lights out by the end of the season.

Keeping folks in the dark about Craigen's ultimate fate.

1 person likes this

Awards

2 hours ago, RedJackson said:

2 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Keeping folks in the dark about Craigen's ultimate fate.

4004899999.gif

6 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Security procedures changing nightly was the primary issue.  I know of an incident with a security guard on the head end of the cattle chute cursing out a fan for no reason.  They also had bizarre procedures going on with the ushers making it difficult to take part in a number of game day activities for the fans, as well as general movement in the arena. 

I never got that at all at the cattle chutes, it was the same thing every time: hold the doodie from your pockets, arms out, get wanded with a detector that may or may not work or even have batteries, carry on.

As for the ushers, it's mind boggling that people will actually stand there while they hold up the STOP signs until there is a whistle...you can just go in the concourse under the stands on either side to get around them.  Once you get past the old ladies you can move anywhere you want at any time.  I'm not condoning it because they're trying to keep people from walking in front of you during play, but I was on the end of an aisle just as you come out of one of the concourse tunnels...no way I was going to stand there and wait.

So the whole SMG thing was transparent to me, didn't affect me in the least.  Actually, it did affect me for the best since they banned noisemakers there for a while...hate those things.

1 person likes this

Awards

15 minutes ago, bcruze said:

I never got that at all at the cattle chutes, it was the same thing every time: hold the doodie from your pockets, arms out, get wanded with a detector that may or may not work or even have batteries, carry on.

As for the ushers, it's mind boggling that people will actually stand there while they hold up the STOP signs until there is a whistle...you can just go in the concourse under the stands on either side to get around them.  Once you get past the old ladies you can move anywhere you want at any time.  I'm not condoning it because they're trying to keep people from walking in front of you during play, but I was on the end of an aisle just as you come out of one of the concourse tunnels...no way I was going to stand there and wait.

So the whole SMG thing was transparent to me, didn't affect me in the least.  Actually, it did affect me for the best since they banned noisemakers there for a while...hate those things.

I watched an acquaintance going to a meeting point for some on-ice promotion.  While standing in the concourse, two ushers moved curtains back and forth in front of the people waiting so they could not see out to the ice.  And when I say moved the curtain back and forth, I mean if the person standing near them moved their head to the side, they moved the curtain to that side in front of their face.  If they moved it back, they readjusted the curtain.  It was like a 3 Stooges skit.

Edited by Carey Mahoney