Volstate

Ice Bears coach Craigen not returning

56 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Sounds like a single, isolated incident.

Nope.  I could name a few more incidents of this type that I never witnessed prior to the city handing over control of the building.  Oh, well, that's enough on that.  They aren't going to go back to city control.  I just wish it was operated in a way that didn't make you wonder if they even cared if the building stays open.  That coupled with no movement in nearly two years regarding a new coliseum is getting suspicious.

I'll agree with you on that last point. When nearly 2 years comes around next year and nothing has happened, I'll be genuinely worried about the status of the project.

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

I'll agree with you on that last point. When nearly 2 years comes around next year and nothing has happened, I'll be genuinely worried about the status of the project.

Why are you always so condescending?  The fact is that the Coliseum replacement/renovation process started about April 2014.  February of 2016 was the announcement date of the preferred proposal, but this process has been going on for over 3 years in totality, and it has been completely stagnated for somewhere around 1.35 years, as of THIS YEAR.  I would say the statement of 2 years is conservative considering the entire process and the time exceeding one year since the last news.  In addition, any likely forward movement from here would involve budgets and required notice for hearings and proposals.  There were no items in the city budget related to the process, so that makes it unlikely to have any activity costing money in the next few months.  In fact, I believe the Coliseum turned back or declined $70,000 from the recent budget.  Any other activity would probably require bids or postings.  Those would typically be minimum 60-90 day periods for those type of activities.  That puts you into the Fall at least if something were to develop at this moment.  Pretty safe to say, the process has been or will be silent for two years or more at minimum.

Edited by Carey Mahoney

From the mayor herself, today:

We are actively working with advisors on how to finance the new arena and renovated auditorium.   It will be some combination of debt, fund balance, naming-rights, development of adjacent city-owned property, etc.  Once we have a workable proposal to present to City Council, we will present the proposal publicly for review and feedback.

But, to answer your question, claims of detailed inside information with nothing offered to support them are generally met with some level of skepticism. You do seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the information you do supply, though. So I will try to be less condescending, with my apologies.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, MacGuy said:

From the mayor herself, today:

But, to answer your question, claims of detailed inside information with nothing offered to support them are generally met with some level of skepticism. You do seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the information you do supply, though. So I will try to be less condescending, with my apologies.

Thanks, Mac.  I appreciate that.  To answer your skepticism regarding my claims, though, I think I should offer that I would not say I have "inside information".  I would tell you I pay close attention to things I see, hear, and experience as nothing more than a frequent guest at Knoxville hockey events mingling around and understanding who I am around that is talking, saying, and doing things.  I just know who the people around the building are, and I see and hear things they are doing.  That's the limit of my specialness.  I get what you are saying about my offers of information from some of these events and being vague about some of them.  In all honesty, I could be specific about some things I know for certain or have seen, but I think the Ice Bears people (team, management, employees, etc) have earned respect for treating low level minor league hockey in the area with respect.  They are decent people trying to provide something decent for the fans in the area.  I like to mention things that would make it better.  I like to do that without making it seem like never-ending complaints.  I stop myself from saying some things because I wouldn't want an Ice Bears management person or employee to read it and feel bad about it.  When you asked earlier about information and I gave you that silly vague answer, my detailing what I'd been told and heard directly would have made the source of the information fairly obvious, and I don't think that's good to do.  I also enjoy participating on a message board, so that is contradictory and tortures my soul some days.  All in all, I have about three or four complaints.  Those are poor recruiting of a team by Craigen of multiple years, poor backside defense, poor power play, and SMG seemingly spoiling the efforts at fan friendliness that the Ice Bears have worked so hard over the years to achieve.  Oh, and I think ticket prices in Knoxville are too high; but that is a fact of life since they receive no concessions and parking money in their deal.  Many of my troubles have been seemingly eradicated.

Sorry to type your ear off, Mac; but I appreciated the quoted statement and apology above.  Thanks again, Mac.

Edited by Carey Mahoney