Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

A Belated Mother's Day Present

1 post in this topic

A powerful story from former Pensacola Ice Flyer Jon Puskar ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In My Words: The Mom Jackpot
May 14, 2017
By Jon Puskar

You all know how Mother’s Day goes, right?  Your social media feeds are filled with various heartfelt messages about the mothers of people you went to college with, or worked with, or that guy who sat next to you in high school who you never spoke to but somehow you’re friends on Facebook? You know what I’m saying…one…after another….after another…about how their Mom is THE BEST and they are SO LUCKY, right? But let me just put those all to rest now, because without a doubt, I hit the ‘Mom’ jackpot with my Mom Janis.

Growing up in Canton, Michigan, there was always family around.  My Mom’s side of the family lived about half an hour from us, so whether it was hunting and fishing with my grandpa and uncle, or playing hockey out in the driveway with my cousin, family was always around. But make no mistake, my Mom was the glue that held the family together – and regardless of what she was dealing with in her own life, she always excelled in that role. And she dealt with a lot.  Aside from the challenges of raising two very active kids in my sister Jordan and me, being a dedicated wife to my Dad, and her own career as a fitness instructor, Mom was diagnosed with a pretty serious case of breast cancer when I was about three years old.

Obviously because I was so young, I don’t remember everything about when she was sick but there are some things that stick out from that time, as well as lessons I’ve learned from her as I grew up and realized the extent of the battle she faced. ...

Read more at: http://www.echl.com/words-mom-jackpot

Puskar-for-web-672x372[1].jpg