Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


Sign in to follow this  
ShaunS

Thunderbolts Announce Protected List

6 posts in this topic

http://evansvillethunderbolts.com/view/evansville/news-1/news_485826

 

•Tanner Milliron (Goalie) — Milliron played 38 games with the Thunderbolts last year.  He earned 11 wins and had 1,033 saves.

 

•Dan Cornell (Defense) — Cornell’s season was cut short due to injuries.  In his 29 games played, he scored 1 goal and 6 assists.

 

•Cory Melkert (Defense) — Melkert played 31 games with the Thunderbolts last year, earning 2 goals, 8 assists and 55 PIM.

 

•Nick D’Avolio (Center) — D’Volio made a big impact on the ice when he joined the Thunderbolts near the end of the regular season.  In just 5 games, he earned 2 goals and 2 assists and instantly put himself in the role of playmaker for the team.

 

•Chase Nieuwendyk (Forward) — Nieuwendyk joined the Thunderbolts later in the season.  In 13 games, he racked up 3 goals and 3 assists.

 

•Austin McKay (Forward) — McKay had a strong presence on the ice during his 13 games.  He earned 6 goals and 5 assists.

 

•Mark Petaccio (Forward) — In his 16 games with the Thunderbolts, Petaccio earned 5 goals and 7 assists, as well as 1 GWG.

 

•Al Graves (Right Wing) — A fan favorite for his 49 PIM, Graves had 4 goals and 4 assists in 23 games.

 

•Dave Williams (Left Wing) — Williams was the Thunderbolts’ top scorer last season.  In 54

games, Williams racked up 21 goals, 17 assists and 2 GWG.

 

•John Scorcia (Center) — Scorcia made a name for himself as a playmaker in front of the net early on in the season.  Despite an injury that put him on the IR for several weeks, he was still able to earn 13 goals and 19 assists in 36 games. 

 

•Tommy Fiorentino (Right Wing) — Fiorentino played 47 games for the Thunderbolts, earning 5 goals and 19 assists.

 

•Frank Schumacher (Defense) — During his 41 games with the Thunderbolts last season, he scored 2 goals and 9 assists.

 

•Josh Elmes (Defense) — Elmes played 35 games last season for the Thunderbolts, earning 5 goals, 11 assists and 1 GWG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

For comparison, here are the rest of the players on the Active or Inactive list at the end of the season:

  • Chad Bennett
  • Brad Cuzner
  • Stephon Thorne
  • Vytal Cote
  • Bo Driscoll
  • Robbie Hall
  • Cole Hutchinson 
  • Nick Kohn
  • Frank Misuraca
  • Justin MacDonald
  • Ryan Patsch

 

Now for some opinions.

Cole Hutchinson was no surprise, as he joined the team when claimed off waivers in the final weeks. Similarly, Nick Kohn played just 3 games in goal. Frank Misuraca was traded for but only actually played 3 for the team (up in ECHL).

Bo Driscoll ended the season with the worst +/- in the league (#300), and while he was joined near the bottom by a host of Bolts it's pretty rough. #287 was -15, and he was -30 at #300. Undersized defenseman who just never quite got it done. 

Vytal Cote never quite found his groove. Almost all of his best games came in losses near the end of the season, so also not a surprise.

On the other hand, Justin MacDonald was a prolific scorer at just under 1 point per game including 3 GWG. He was called up to the ECHL near the end of the season though, and I would assume they expect him to stay there.

Ryan Patsch battled through injuries, but was someone that I personally thought was useful with his physicality. I was surprised to see he lead the team in total PIM.

Chad Bennett's numbers weren't terrible (6 points in 28 games) relative to the rest of the team, but they were on the low end. It might also be the he lost every single faceoff (exaggeration... probably... don't have the data).

Stephon Thorne was extremely productive in his first stint with the team getting 6 points (all goals) in his last 5 games in 2016. That play earned him an ECHL call, but when he returned the numbers weren't quite as impressive. He had 8 points in the last 17 games. He ended the season as first among only a handful of guys with a positive +/-, and lead the next guy by a lot. Would liked to have seen him back.

 

As for the protected list, no shocking news there. Mark Petaccio was placed on team suspension right at the end of the season, and I never heard why. Be interesting to see if he comes back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, ShaunS said:

As for the protected list, no shocking news there. Mark Petaccio was placed on team suspension right at the end of the season, and I never heard why. Be interesting to see if he comes back. 

I think he went back to the FHL for playoffs. Probably an agreement Pyle made with the coach when he loaned him. Instead of releasing him and losing his rights, team suspension and now protects him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ShaunS said:

For comparison, here are the rest of the players on the Active or Inactive list at the end of the season:

  • Chad Bennett
  • Brad Cuzner
  • Stephon Thorne
  • Vytal Cote
  • Bo Driscoll
  • Robbie Hall
  • Cole Hutchinson 
  • Nick Kohn
  • Frank Misuraca
  • Justin MacDonald
  • Ryan Patsch

 

Now for some opinions.

Cole Hutchinson was no surprise, as he joined the team when claimed off waivers in the final weeks. Similarly, Nick Kohn played just 3 games in goal. Frank Misuraca was traded for but only actually played 3 for the team (up in ECHL).

Bo Driscoll ended the season with the worst +/- in the league (#300), and while he was joined near the bottom by a host of Bolts it's pretty rough. #287 was -15, and he was -30 at #300. Undersized defenseman who just never quite got it done. 

Vytal Cote never quite found his groove. Almost all of his best games came in losses near the end of the season, so also not a surprise.

On the other hand, Justin MacDonald was a prolific scorer at just under 1 point per game including 3 GWG. He was called up to the ECHL near the end of the season though, and I would assume they expect him to stay there.

Ryan Patsch battled through injuries, but was someone that I personally thought was useful with his physicality. I was surprised to see he lead the team in total PIM.

Chad Bennett's numbers weren't terrible (6 points in 28 games) relative to the rest of the team, but they were on the low end. It might also be the he lost every single faceoff (exaggeration... probably... don't have the data).

Stephon Thorne was extremely productive in his first stint with the team getting 6 points (all goals) in his last 5 games in 2016. That play earned him an ECHL call, but when he returned the numbers weren't quite as impressive. He had 8 points in the last 17 games. He ended the season as first among only a handful of guys with a positive +/-, and lead the next guy by a lot. Would liked to have seen him back.

 

As for the protected list, no shocking news there. Mark Petaccio was placed on team suspension right at the end of the season, and I never heard why. Be interesting to see if he comes back. 

I'm very surprised MacDonald wasn't protected. You should still protect him regardless where he was at the end of the season. Say he falls back to SPHL, if Bulls select him in draft then they will own his rights....... or another team may wanna pick him up if not selected. I wouldn't be surprised if he is taken in draft. 

Edited by Marksmen119

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 
16 hours ago, thrillin19 said:

I think he went back to the FHL for playoffs. Probably an agreement Pyle made with the coach when he loaned him. Instead of releasing him and losing his rights, team suspension and now protects him.

 

Thanks for the info; that would make sense. Mark played well in his 20 games with the team, and would be a solid returner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
On 5/18/2017 at 0:09 PM, ShaunS said:

Thanks for the info; that would make sense. Mark played well in his 20 games with the team, and would be a solid returner.

2 years ago Sean Bonar left early in the season to the ECHL and his team didnt make playoffs (like Evansville here) and he returned to us to play in the playoffs that same season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×