Fanofdasnakes

Columbus Burn

66 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Fanofdasnakes said:

The new owner has announced the new team will be called the Columbus Burn.  No more Cottonmouths people, and Jerome has been offered a position in the organization but will not be the head person. 

http://wrbl.com/2017/06/21/new-ownership-unveils-proposed-logo-for-columbus-hockey-team/

My friend told me about this but I didnt know if it had been announced to the league or league fans.....so I didnt post....when the team wins, are the fans gonna burn it down? 

1 person likes this

Awards

The team name sounds like what you get after you down a sack of Krystal's ...

giphy.gif

Potential owner for Columbus hockey team lays out big plans, reveals new name

By Chuck Williams - Ledger-Enquirer

The prospective owner of the Columbus Southern Professional Hockey League franchise laid out a radical reorganization plan during a meeting with members of the media Wednesday afternoon.

Fidel Jenkins said he plans to change everything from ticket pricing to sponsorships and also name the team the Columbus Burn.

He is also planning to put in a new video scoreboard, electronic dasher board and a sound system at the Columbus Civic Center at his own expense.

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/other-sports/columbus-cottonmouths/article157392284.html#storylink=cpy

Burn%20Logo%20447%20x%20778

Potential new hockey owner kills Snakes name, introduces Columbus Burn

A New York City businessman with limited experience in minor league sports rolled into Columbus on Wednesday, promising a new and innovative way to run a hockey operation that has not been profitable in 21 seasons of existence.

Fidel Jenkins, chairman of Residential World Media, met with about 20 potential sponsors and wasted no time making changes even though his ownership deal is not complete. Jenkins declined to reveal the terms of his deal for the Southern Professional Hockey League franchise he is purchasing from the league.

The first thing the potential new owner of the Columbus SPHL franchise did was change the name. Former owner Wanda Amos, who sold the franchise rights to a new team in Birmingham, still owns the name and logo rights to the Columbus Cottonmouths.

Jenkins said he didn’t want the name Cottonmouths.

He outlined a four-prong plan to make the hockey team profitable.

After rebranding the team, he plans to restructure sponsorships, reduce some upper-level ticket prices and institute a new attendance-based, game-day giveaway program that will include everything from movie tickets to vacations to a new vehicle.

The upper-level ticket prices will be $5 per game, while the lower level will remain the same, ranging from $30 to $16. The sponsorship rates will depend on attendance, Jenkins said.

“We want to be as transparent and as good a business partner with our sponsors as we can be,” Jenkins said. “In my everyday business, even though it’s real estate, it is also advertising. The majority of our clients really are advertisers, right? We wanted to bring that same concept here to Columbus. We want to earn our business and we want to earn their business. ... The more eyeballs we can give them, the better.”

And he plans to use incentives to do so.

▪  For crowds up to 1,000, he will give 10 fans two free movie tickets each.

▪  For more than 1,000 spectators, 20 additional fans will get free gas.

▪  For more than 2,000 fans, 10 of them will receive a $250 shopping spree.

▪  For more than 3,000 fans, two of them will have their mortgage payment covered for the month.

▪  For more than 4,000 fans, 10 of them will receive a cruise for two.

▪  For more than 5,000 fans, two fans will get a seven-day cruise for two.

▪  For more than 6,000 fans, one fan will get a Disney family vacation.

▪  For more than 7,000 fans, one fan will get a new car, motorcycle or RV.

“We are absolutely committed to the fans and want to do anything we can to bring them back,” Jenkins said. “With the reduced ticket price and these giveaways we can do that.”

Asked how he could afford to do the giveaways, Jenkins said it was “through the restructured sponsorships.”

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/other-sports/columbus-cottonmouths/article157456369.html#storylink=cpy

16 hours ago, Marksmen119 said:

My friend told me about this but I didnt know if it had been announced to the league or league fans.....so I didnt post....when the team wins, are the fans gonna burn it down? 

He has an explanation for the name:

“We took some time to see what name wasn’t taken, because we didn’t want another animal or dragons or something else,” Jenkins said. “We wanted a name no one else had. ... It turned out there were two names no one had — Flare and Burn. Obviously, for a hockey team you are not going to go Flare.”

:huh:

2 people like this

Potential new owner details plans for Columbus Burn hockey team

By brobertsonwrbl - WRBL

COLUMBUS, Ga – The next chapter of professional hockey in Columbus will come with big changes if all goes according to plan for potential team owner Fidel Jenkins. Jenkins is finalizing negotiations to secure the Columbus affiliation in the Southern Professional Hockey League.

Financial details of his agreement to purchase the SPHL franchise were not disclosed.

Jenkins met with members of the media on Wednesday at the Columbus Civic Center and laid out his plan to restructure pro hockey in the city with a new franchise, the Columbus Burn.The team’s logo, which Jenkins designed himself, is a blue teardrop-shaped flame. Jenkins says he chose the team name Burn because no other pro sports franchise in the country is using it.

There was an option for Jenkins to purchase the Columbus Cottonmouths brand from the team’s previous owner, Wanda Amos, but he declined.

“I respect the traditions that Wanda has done,” said Jenkins. “She’s been fantastic keeping a team here for this amount of time. Her personal sacrifice in doing that was phenomenal, and that cannot be replaced” he continued. “And I am not trying to replace anything that her organization or Jerome (Bechard) have done.”

“What I’m trying to do is create something new and turn the page and do something completely different. And that was one of the main reasons why I chose not to purchase the Cottonmouths name,” said Jenkins.

Read more at: http://wrbl.com/2017/06/21/potential-new-owner-details-plans-for-columbus-burn-hockey-team/

lmao :huh: 

Here's a smaller copy for member avatars or ....

Q8blHF.png

This is a rather radical change for Columbus. Not sure why he is choosing this path for a business model, to be honest.

Logo is nice but would be more for a soccer team than hockey. Perhaps Freezer Burn???

If this guy is as committed as he says he is, more power to him and to Columbus. But my Spidey Senses are tingling...

1 person likes this

I'm just glad we will have hockey. My daughters were gonna make me drive 4 hrs to Huntsville for hockey even though Macon is 2 hrs away. I drive 1 hr just watch hockey in Columbus. They want to stay with an original SPHL team. 

3 people like this

Awards

2 hours ago, nightman_34957 said:

I'm just glad we will have hockey. My daughters were gonna make me drive 4 hrs to Huntsville for hockey even though Macon is 2 hrs away. I drive 1 hr just watch hockey in Columbus. They want to stay with an original SPHL team. 

Thats all that matters.  The name and everything is just cosmetic.  I didn't really like the name Rail Yard Dawgs when it came out but it had since grown on me and couldn't imagine having a different name.  Just going to take a little time to get use to chanting LETS GO BURN!!!! But i like how its original.  Congratulations to all Columbus fans for getting hockey back.

Awards

Posted (edited)

As an On-Ice Sponsor for several years I was at the meeting with Sponsors.  It was a good presentation and I look forward to our having hockey in the Civic Center beginning again in 2018.  Even though I have also been a season ticket holder since the beginning and also have been a sponsor for several different companies for the Cottonmouths and sat on their Season Ticket Holder Board, it is sad to see the Cottonmouths name disappear.  However, things in life change and the opportunities that were laid out for sponsors, giveaways (see above) and ticket sales was exciting.  We look forward to many more years of hockey in Columbus, GA

Edited by Richard3945
2 people like this

7 hours ago, Speedracer said:

This is a rather radical change for Columbus. Not sure why he is choosing this path for a business model, to be honest. ...

If this guy is as committed as he says he is, more power to him and to Columbus. But my Spidey Senses are tingling ...

Mr. Jenkins' plans are remarkably consistent with the business model that his primary real estate concerns have established.  But I share your intuitive concerns, Speed.  Besides the radical marketing approach, I am concerned that the local media  are characterizing Fidel (unfortunate name) as the "potential owner" of the new team.  If this is a term being used by the buyer & the League, it indicates a hesitancy on a part of the principles to stand behind the future success of the business venture.  If it's simply a term picked up by the press, then it at least has the potential to cast a public doubt on the future of the business.  And if fans (true & casual) aren't sure this team will follow through on the grand plans being proffered, then the wallets of all those advertisers will remain shut tight and those electronic dasher boards will remain dark.  This will surely be a story worth following in the coming months.  :popcorn:

2 people like this

"Potential" may just be legal nomenclature the media have to use (like "alleged assailant", when talking about crime) until the i's are dotted and t's crossed on a contract.

Still, I stick to my previous comment...the last time this league dealt with a "real estate mogul"...

2 hours ago, Richard3945 said:

We look forward to many more years of hockey in Columbus, GA

Glad to hear from a Sponsor's perspective, Richard. Thanks for your input.

SPHL commissioner: There is no new hockey team owner in Columbus — yet

Any discussion of a new Southern Professional Hockey League team in Columbus is premature, Commissioner Jim Combs said during a telephone interview early Thursday morning.

On Tuesday, New York City businessman Fidel Jenkins announced that he was acquiring the rights to the SPHL franchise that were vacated this month when former owner Wanda Amos ceased operation of the Columbus Cottonmouths after 21 seasons of minor league hockey. Jenkins said the deal with the SPHL was pending a lease to play in the Columbus Civic Center, the Cottonmouths home since 1996.

“He has a vision on what he wants to do for a team,” Combs said of Jenkins. “But he does not own a hockey team in the SPHL.”

Jenkins has applied to the league for the franchise, but has not been approved, Combs said. Jenkins has until Aug. 1 to meet financial obligations to the league and secure a lease with the Columbus Civic Center, Combs said.

Any lease agreed upon by Jenkins and the Civic Center would have to be approved by Columbus Council. That deal is “99-percent done,” Jenkins said on Wednesday.

Combs called the lease and league approval “a chicken or egg process.”

“Why buy a team if you don’t have a lease to the building?” Combs asked. “Then you ask, why get a lease to a building if you don’t have a team? Does he have a team? No. Does he have a lease? No. He is working on both. And it’s not done yet.”

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/other-sports/columbus-cottonmouths/article157548214.html#storylink=cpy

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Mr. Jenkins' plans are remarkably consistent with the business model that his primary real estate concerns have established.  But I share your intuitive concerns, Speed.  Besides the radical marketing approach, I am concerned that the local media  are characterizing Fidel (unfortunate name) as the "potential owner" of the new team.  If this is a term being used by the buyer & the League, it indicates a hesitancy on a part of the principles to stand behind the future success of the business venture.  If it's simply a term picked up by the press, then it at least has the potential to cast a public doubt on the future of the business.  And if fans (true & casual) aren't sure this team will follow through on the grand plans being proffered, then the wallets of all those advertisers will remain shut tight and those electronic dasher boards will remain dark.  This will surely be a story worth following in the coming months.  :popcorn:

I am getting uneasy feeling about this deal, absentee owner and getting rid of Cottonmouths name, and all these promises, big money talking but is it gonna produce!

1 person likes this

Awards

3 hours ago, Richard3945 said:

As an On-Ice Sponsor for several years I was at the meeting with Sponsors.  It was a good presentation and I look forward to our having hockey in the Civic Center beginning again in 2018.  Even though I have also been a season ticket holder since the beginning and also have been a sponsor for several different companies for the Cottonmouths and sat on their Season Ticket Holder Board, it is sad to see the Cottonmouths name disappear.  However, things in life change and the opportunities that were laid out for sponsors, giveaways (see above) and ticket sales was exciting.  We look forward to many more years of hockey in Columbus, GA

What was your impression of Fidel Jenkins? Was he down-to-earth or did he sound like a pitchman for Oxy-clean?

14 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

The team name sounds like what you get after you down a sack of Krystal's ...

giphy.gif

G6H5wHU.gif

1 hour ago, Speedracer said:

What was your impression of Fidel Jenkins? Was he down-to-earth or did he sound like a pitchman for Oxy-clean?

I was impressed with his presentation.  Meeting both him and his wife was good and I know that when everything is said and done that we will be good friends going forward.  I have done some figuring on my own with what was presented to the sponsors yesterday and do see where the things he is saying can happen.  Still need more info for On-Ice Sponsors as that was not discussed yesterday so am waiting on that to decide what my company will do.  As a side note, I will have season tickets as well personally, which do not go through my company (this has been the case in the past as well).  Just counting the days to the Fall of 2018.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, MacGuy said:

He has an explanation for the name:

:huh:

Should have gone with Flares.  Then the whole crowd could wear blonde wigs and yell "Wooooooo!!!!!!!".  I think I had a buddy that went into the army and picked up the Columbus burn.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MaconHockeyFan said:

columbus burn.jpg

Woooooooooooow...:o

2 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Woooooooooooow...:o

It's actually a shrewd business move.  Why pay a graphic designer for a few months of "creativity" when you can get it for 29 bucks with your credit card on the World Wide Web?