Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marksmen119

Bolts Announce 4 More Signings

9 posts in this topic

So is the strategy to sign the same team that finished last place this past season?? Interesting concept......

25 minutes ago, jbgentry said:

So is the strategy to sign the same team that finished last place this past season?? Interesting concept......

As Coach Pyle said in the team's release regarding their initial signings: “We finished strong last year ..."  Now they'll start strong  ... #evillestrong  weighlift.gif

In their defence, they are the best of the litter i believe.  Only a couple played for them the whole season.  Then a few they got toward the end of the season when they started being a lot more competitive in each game. Not much so by win/loss records, but by showing up and being competitive in the games toward the end of the year.

Awards

1 hour ago, jbgentry said:

Well, their "star" goalie had 11 wins last season......so question is, do they need a better goalie or defense in front of him?

Awards

22 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

In their defence, they are the best of the litter i believe.  Only a couple played for them the whole season.  Then a few they got toward the end of the season when they started being a lot more competitive in each game. Not much so by win/loss records, but by showing up and being competitive in the games toward the end of the year.

When it is all said and done, you are judged by wins and losses.....not how competitive you are. We shall see how they fair this season but I believe some new and better talent will be necessary for them to be a force in this league.

11 minutes ago, jbgentry said:

When it is all said and done, you are judged by wins and losses.....not how competitive you are. We shall see how they fair this season but I believe some new and better talent will be necessary for them to be a force in this league.

Not when your already out if playoffs and bring in guys toward the end of the season to see how they do.  Cant expect to bring in a lot of new players and expect to gel and win against teams who know the system and played together with their teammates the whole year.  None of the guys they signed are veterans.  

Awards

3 hours ago, jbgentry said:

for them to be a force in this league.

They were already in this league, in Fayetteville, NC

18 hours ago, jbgentry said:

It's a bad idea to throw out your whole team regardless of who you are. It's particularly true when you're discussing the first year of a program. This is true in every sport. Frankly, the rate that they churned through new players really held them back last year, but it's part of a building process.

17 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

That's qualitatively true, as I discussed in the last player signing thread. These guys are a good core that showed promise last year.

17 hours ago, Marksmen119 said:

Well, their "star" goalie had 11 wins last season......so question is, do they need a better goalie or defense in front of him?

Milliron had a decent stretch throughout last season where he was a top 3 goalie. I think with a little more development, after all he was a rookie, and any defensive help that he'll showcase that talent.

17 hours ago, jbgentry said:

We'll agree to disagree on this point. If you're talking about an established program that's had a level of success it's mostly accurate. However, when you're talking about a program opening their first season in a league you shouldn't be kidding yourself. You will be at the bottom of the barrel, and establishing/building the program's competitiveness is of the utmost importance. Beyond that, any coach who's coming into a season with a "bottom feeder" squad will tell you (off the record, at least) that he's just looking to be competitive night in and night out. Because once you reach that level you can start to work toward excellence.

--

I'm very glad to see the Bolts signed these four again. Milliron is a very talented goalie with even more potential growth. Dave Williams was the team's leading scorer. Frank Schumacher was a solid defender, and John Scorcia although hampered by injury averaged almost a point a night.