MacGuy

Pelham prepares to renovate Civic Complex for Birmingham Bulls hockey

7 posts in this topic

Pelham prepares to renovate Civic Complex for Birmingham Bulls hockey

By Lauren Walsh - ABC Ch. 33/40

You'll see lots of progress in Pelham as the city works to bring professional hockey back to the region.
The city is renovating the civics complex to be ready for November 3, the Birmingham Bulls first home game.
Mayor Gary Waters tells ABC 33/40 he already signed the contract to demolish the old bleachers. Monday, council will vote on the multi-million dollar deal to build 4,100 new seats, new concessions stands, restrooms and locker rooms.

1 person likes this

Less than 4 months to approve funding then "renovate" this facility?  Is there a backup ice facility in Birmingham that can host the new Bulls in case of delay, or does the League have backup plans to shuffle every other teams' schedules to accommodate a long road trip to start the Bulls' inaugural season?  Though clearly not as extensive in scope, this sounds eerily like the arena renovation plans that the owner of the ECHL's Evansville IceMen had for relocating to Owensboro, KY.  FYI - The IceMen franchise will resume ECHL play in Jacksonville, FL, in the fall, without ever having taken a stride on ice in Owensboro.  :unsure:

The coach has signed 16 players but they have only confirmed signing 8 so far i can think of.  Who are the others?  Keeping us in suspense.

Awards

Cannot wait, The arena should be done quick. This will help the other club teams in the arena greatly.

5 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

The coach has signed 16 players but they have only confirmed signing 8 so far i can think of.  Who are the others?  Keeping us in suspense.

Standard practice. Release the names over time to keep the team in the news.

1 person likes this

Awards

Only 4100 seats.  Easy to sell out I guess.

Awards

1 hour ago, puckfan said:

Only 4100 seats.  Easy to sell out I guess.

For year 1, after this season we will expand to over 5000.