Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Marksmen3519

Pensacola 2017-18 Pre-Season Roster

80 posts in this topic

Poor choice of words then, knowing how and when the word is used in this league.

• Like 2

Awards Earned

18 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Poor choice of words then, knowing how and when the word is used in this league.

Knowing how Bes has announced previously. I wouldnt be surprised to see a 2nd year player who played less than 10 games be announced as a vet. :laughing:

• Haha 1

Awards Earned

Yet another definition of the word "veteran", from Mac's post in "The "Other" Evansville Thunderbolts" thread:

"P-47D Thunderbolt 42-27609 was recovered from Papua New Guinea in the 1990s and is a veteran of the war in the South West Pacific Theatre. She rolled off Republic’s production line in Evansville, Indiana during the second week of March, 1944, and the Army Air Force accepted her as AAF 42-27609 on March 18th, 1944."

Edited by PlannedObsolescence
  • Confused 1

Awards Earned

A PLAYER SIGNING????????

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 27, 2017) - The Pensacola Ice Flyers have announced today that Head Coach Jeff Bes has signed Canadian forward Jessyko Bernard for the 2017-18 season.

“Jessyko is a big, strong, power forward with a nice scoring touch,” stated Bes. “He is a mature player that will bring experience to our club. We are looking forward to having him in our lineup this season.”

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the successful Ice Flyers organization,” said Bernard. “The city and the team are proven winners, and I am looking forward to continuing that tradition and representing the Ice Flyers.

Born and raised in Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Bernard has experience playing in North America, Australia, and Europe. The 6’2”, 216-lbs power forward tallied 122 points in 232 games over 4 seasons while playing in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League before moving on to play college hockey with the Concordia University Stingers in 2012-13. In 84 games, he scored 24 points and added 47 assists for a total of 71 points and 82 penalty minutes.

Bernard spent last season in France with the Brest Alabatros, netting 10 goals and 10 assists and 36 penalty minutes in 24 games.

“The fan support in Pensacola is well known and I cannot wait to hit the ice in a month and to spend time in the community,” Bernard concluded.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:07 PM, Marksmen119 said:

Update #2 : Maxime St-Cyr signed with Univ. of Moncton (USports). 

Screenshot_2017-09-23-00-01-46.png

Screenshot_2017-09-23-00-08-46.png

This is for 2018-19. I'm not sure what Frenchie is doing this season but as of right now, his commitment to U of Moncton is for next season.

Regarding the use of the word, "veteran": Bes doesn't write these releases. The guy who does is probably used to the NHL definition of "veteran" being someone who's experienced. 

Awards Earned

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

This is for 2018-19. I'm not sure what Frenchie is doing this season but as of right now, his commitment to U of Moncton is for next season.

Regarding the use of the word, "veteran": Bes doesn't write these releases. The guy who does is probably used to the NHL definition of "veteran" being someone who's experienced. 

According to that picture its for 17-18 too, or why would it be posted as is??

Awards Earned

That I can not answer. Sometimes their system does that when entering future teams onto a player's profile. Below is the tweet they cite as a source and when you hover over the info icon, it says "For 18/19"

Edited by Geoff

Awards Earned

17 minutes ago, Displaced Floridian said:
A PLAYER SIGNING????????

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 27, 2017) - The Pensacola Ice Flyers have announced today that Head Coach Jeff Bes has signed Canadian forward Jessyko Bernard for the 2017-18 season.

“Jessyko is a big, strong, power forward with a nice scoring touch,” stated Bes. “He is a mature player that will bring experience to our club. We are looking forward to having him in our lineup this season.”

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the successful Ice Flyers organization,” said Bernard. “The city and the team are proven winners, and I am looking forward to continuing that tradition and representing the Ice Flyers.

Born and raised in Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Bernard has experience playing in North America, Australia, and Europe. The 6’2”, 216-lbs power forward tallied 122 points in 232 games over 4 seasons while playing in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League before moving on to play college hockey with the Concordia University Stingers in 2012-13. In 84 games, he scored 24 points and added 47 assists for a total of 71 points and 82 penalty minutes.

Bernard spent last season in France with the Brest Alabatros, netting 10 goals and 10 assists and 36 penalty minutes in 24 games.

“The fan support in Pensacola is well known and I cannot wait to hit the ice in a month and to spend time in the community,” Bernard concluded.

Its been updated. Just couldn't find the article to go with it, but you have. I can't find link. If I do ill put on roster comment.

Awards Earned

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

That I can not answer. Sometimes their system does that when entering future teams onto a player's profile. Below is the tweet they cite as a source and when you hover over the info icon, it says "For 18/19"

Well, unless they change it.....I'm leaving it as is since thats what I found.

Awards Earned

50 minutes ago, Displaced Floridian said:
A PLAYER SIGNING????????

Updated with link.

Awards Earned

Rosters at this point are far from set. Don't put too much stock into what is and isn't announced.

Awards Earned

57 minutes ago, Displaced Floridian said:

Goalie delivered-if he doesn't stick with Fort Wayne

We'll have to see what happens when season begins.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

PENSACOLA, Fla. The Pensacola Ice Flyers have acquired the playing rights of 2016-17 SPHL MVP and Goaltender of the Year Sean Bonar from the Fayettevi... - SPHL Pensacola Ice Flyers

View the full article

Awards Earned

And we'll see how long he stays in Pensacola considering he has already set most of the records that a goalie can set in this league. My prediction is...if he comes back to Pensacola, he will take any and all call-ups throughout the season. Ice Flyers fans better prepare for the "other foot to drop" at any time. Here today. Gone tomorrow. Again and again. It happened to us the first two years he was in Fayetteville. What a roller coaster! Last year was the exception with him staying all year. Bones no doubt has skills. Worthy of staying in the ECHL or higher.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

13 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

And we'll see how long he stays in Pensacola considering he has already set most of the records that a goalie can set in this league. My prediction is...if he comes back to Pensacola, he will take any and all call-ups throughout the season. Ice Flyers fans better prepare for the "other foot to drop" at any time. Here today. Gone tomorrow. Again and again. It happened to us the first two years he was in Fayetteville. What a roller coaster! Last year was the exception with him staying all year. Bones no doubt has skills. Worthy of staying in the ECHL or higher.

numbers definitely bear that out

2 hours ago, Displaced Floridian said:

I saw Zenzola got a PTO with Allen(ECHL)

Yes, but he signed with FAY for the SPHL season.

• Like 1

Awards Earned