MacGuy

Iced out: The lowdown on NHL's Olympic boycott

16 posts in this topic

Will NHL players really be iced out of Olympics? Here's the lowdown on where things stand

By Emily Kaplan - ESPN

NHL players have competed in the past five Winter Olympics, dating to 1998. The 2018 Games in PyeongChang, South Korea, will be different. The league will not take a break next season to allow players to participate, as it has during recent Olympic seasons. But, even though NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in April that he considers "the matter officially closed," confusion still surrounds the conversation -- or perhaps it's just fans holding out hope that they'll see top players take the Olympic ice after all. Here's a primer on where things stand and what's at stake.

Wait, so NHL players really aren't going?

Not with the league's blessing. The NHL scheduled its 2018 All Star Game for Jan. 28 in Tampa, Florida -- just two weeks before the Olympics begin, on Feb. 9 ...

Read more at: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/20283705/where-things-stand-stake

NHL: Players under contract in minors can’t go to Olympics

Associated Press / sportsnet.ca

Not only will Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews and most of the best hockey players in the world not be going to the Olympics, neither will anyone on an NHL contract.

The league has decided that players with active NHL contracts, even those in the minors, will not be allowed to participate in the Olympics next February in South Korea. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the league’s stance to The Associated Press on Monday

The league announced in April it wouldn’t be stopping its season to go to the Olympics for the first time since 1994, but questions had remained about players in the American Hockey League and ECHL .

"A decision has been made that all players under NHL contract will be subject to similar treatment," Daly said.

Read more at: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-players-contract-minors-cant-go-olympics/

If someone doesn't get that fat kid with the bad hair cut under control, there may not be anyone participating in the Olympics this year.

56 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

If someone doesn't get that fat kid with the bad hair cut under control, there may not be anyone participating in the Olympics this year.

Maybe he can provide the Opening Ceremony fireworks.  ICBMs streaking across the sky toward Guam.  salute.gif

I'm skeptical that the "lull" in other major sports affords them any significant increase to profits, but the injury concern is legitimate.

I think the problem is the normal shortsightedness we see from executives when an immediate profit isn't apparent. The Olympics are the ultimate promotional tool. People who don't watch sports normally will tune in to see their countries play, and that gives you a chance to inspire both new, young players and get exposure to potential, new fans. That should be a top concern since it's well documented that they're rapidly aging (https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/zme3m8/the-nhl-is-old-af).

1 person likes this

For what it's worth on my two cents, I do feel sympathy for the players who look forward to playing on the international landscape, but I kind of agree with the NHL. Why should they have to take a break from their schedule to accommodate the olympics? You have to think of it from the business side and know that during that time, the NHL is losing millions per day and would have to create a schedule around the olympics. Plus, not to mention that bald little fat kid that was mentioned earlier. :eyes:

Posted (edited)

I think the NHL probably does see a bump during this portion of the season due to the lull in other major sports. The problem is that bump comes from sports fans tuning in because there isn't much else on, this year I would bet most of those viewers will be watching the Olympics and probably even a few die hard hockey fans will forego watching the Caps play the Canes for the fourth time of the season to watch some kid from Minnesota slide a rock down the ice while a couple more kids from Minnesota sweep in front of it, I know I will.

Edited by vicvegas
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:
5 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Maybe he can provide the Opening Ceremony fireworks.  ICBMs streaking across the sky toward Guam.  salute.gif

that bald little fat kid that was mentioned earlier. :eyes:

He's not bald, but he does have a bad haircut. Below, juxtaposed with JMC-STL's referenced fireworks/ICBMs:

Image result for kim jong un

3 hours ago, vicvegas said:

I think the NHL probably does see a bump during this portion of the season due to the lull in other major sports. The problem is that bump comes from sports fans tuning in because there isn't much else on, this year I would bet most of those viewers will be watching the Olympics and probably even a few die hard hockey fans will forego watching the Caps play the Canes for the fourth time of the season to watch some kid from Minnesota slide a rock down the ice while a couple more kids from Minnesota sweep in front of it, I know I will.

I am not arguing that fact there. My question is this though, was this a league decision, or were all the owners consulted and was a vote taken?

6 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

I am not arguing that fact there. My question is this though, was this a league decision, or were all the owners consulted and was a vote taken?

Everything I've read seems to hint that it was an owners decision but nothing has outright said as much. 

1 person likes this

If it's an owners' decision(s), then no one can really debate it because those are the ones that sign their paychecks. But if it was a league office decision, then that's a different can of worms.

2 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

He's not bald, but he does have a bad haircut. Below, juxtaposed with JMC-STL's referenced fireworks/ICBMs:

Image result for kim jong un

Very creative juxtaposition, Perfessor, but I recognize that static ordnance display.  That's a photo from the "Rocket Garden" outside the public museum at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.  No ICBMs there, but some pretty cool stuff worth seeing if you're ever lost in that desert.  The sand dunes of the National Monument are equally impressive.

wsmr2.jpg

47 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

... My question is this though, was this a league decision, or were all the owners consulted and was a vote taken?

The NHL owners ARE the league.  It's their business, and the decision making is just that - their business.

6 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

For what it's worth on my two cents, I do feel sympathy for the players who look forward to playing on the international landscape, but I kind of agree with the NHL. Why should they have to take a break from their schedule to accommodate the olympics? You have to think of it from the business side and know that during that time, the NHL is losing millions per day and would have to create a schedule around the olympics. Plus, not to mention that bald little fat kid that was mentioned earlier. :eyes:

Do you really think they lose millions though? It's not as if they wouldn't play those games another time, so the only real loss is the difference in the potential "lull" time bump versus playing in a busier sports atmosphere.

12 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Very creative juxtaposition, Perfessor, but I recognize that static ordnance display.  That's a photo from the "Rocket Garden" outside the public museum at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.  No ICBMs there, but some pretty cool stuff worth seeing if you're ever lost in that desert.  The sand dunes of the National Monument are equally impressive.

wsmr2.jpg

Sorry, I didn't 72Vette my Googleimages photo. 

3 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Sorry, I didn't 72Vette my Googleimages photo. 

You might've needed a 4-wheel drive vehicle to vet(te) your way through that one.