Marksmen119

SPHL Denies Jenkins

12 posts in this topic

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/other-sports/columbus-cottonmouths/article166541202.html

Less than two months after coming into Columbus promising to revolutionize minor league hockey, the Southern Professional Hockey League has broken off talks with a New York City businessman seeking ownership in the league.

Thursday afternoon, that speculation ended as SPHL Commissioner Jim Combs said Jenkins was out of the picture as a possible owner, even though Jenkins had previously announced he was going to name his team the Columbus Burn.

Awards

Well, that sucks. At least they have most of a year to find another solution for Columbus.

A tiny crack was left in the door for Jenkins by Columbus City Manager, Isaiah Hugley ...

“Mr. Jenkins has a lease with the city if he is able to reach an agreement with the SPHL,” Hugley said. “If he is not able to reach an agreement with the SPHL but is able to reach an agreement with another hockey league, we can amend the agreement. If he is not able to reach an agreement with the SPHL or another hockey league, then we do not have an agreement because he does not have a hockey team.” ...

Bechard's comments on that pretty much seal that crack:

“Maybe there is an opportunity in another league,” Bechard said. “But we tried the ECHL. It’s a great league and great hockey, but we couldn’t make it work. It is tough to sustain a team in that league.”

3 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Bechard's comments on that pretty much seal that crack ...

Some members on this very Board have expressed a desire to give the new Winston-Salem team some closer rivals.  That could represent "another league" option ... :hmm:

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

A tiny crack was left in the door for Jenkins by Columbus City Manager, Isaiah Hugley ...

48 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Bechard's comments on that pretty much seal that crack:

39 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Some members on this very Board have expressed a desire to give the new Winston-Salem team some closer rivals.  That could represent "another league" option ... :hmm:

I was going to say "join the FHL".....make another team experience the awful travel costs WS will endure.....

Hey, let all the northern teams duke it out during the season. Let Columbus and WS play each other 56 times to determine the final seed in the playoffs. Jk

Edited by Marksmen119
1 person likes this

Awards

It would not surprise me in the least to see the FHL try something, If they want to ensure the "Waronker Effect", they'll do just that, and the city won't have decent hockey for years to come.

It's interesting that Jenkins says that "it's not a money issue," but then says the league changed the franchise fee from $125,000 to $300,000.

That's a pretty big change.

Awards

Very surprised the league denied this guy, especially when money seems to be no issue with the potential owner, he really must have pissed someone off in the front office!

Awards

4 hours ago, sniper said:

Very surprised the league denied this guy, especially when money seems to be no issue with the potential owner, he really must have pissed someone off in the front office!

Combs always says he doesnt want to bring owners in just to have another team in the league, just to fold after a few seasons.  Sounds like they were a bit weary of jenkins if they tried raising the fees up on him.  But like always, we are missing a lot of the story.  I would like to know what was messed up in the second contract that he didnt want to sign if money wasnt a problem.  If thats the truth, i am right there behind him.  I wouldnt fork over almost a third of a million dollars either if something was wrong with the contract.  But the whole thing with naming the team and having this logo you made yourself come to light as being bought off the internet was a red flag for me and all these giveaways he planned on giving fans for attendance.  Ive never heard of teams doing this every game.  So not saying it couldnt work but definately makes the board think real hard about what they are going to let in the league.  Last thing they need is a fiasco made out of a team in the league.  We seem to already have a pro hockey league doing enough of that.  But if the sphl turned them down with way less money needed to run a team then the echl.  I cant see the echl running with the burn.  I really hope columbus fans get a team but i believe the sphl didnt want all the baggage jenkins wanted to bring to the league.  Im sure the fhl would let him ride.  They seem to not have a problem taking anyones money.  But im definately rooting for you columbus.  Having no hockey sucks, but having hockey ran by somebody who just thinks dishing out money and being an absent owner stinks even more. Not saying it would be like that if he got the team.  But he definately didnt put much into that name and logo.  So sphl board probably wondering if he would do the same with the team.  We had a team like that in roanoke in the uhl called the vipers.  Im not going to get into it all, but believe that bad experience is what caused our city to go about a decade with no professional hockey team.  Not until the perfect owners came along and changed a lot of peoples minds.  Just hope columbus doesnt have to wait as long as we did to get a team back on the ice.

1 person likes this

Awards

Yeah, that $30 logo from a clipart website was a HUGE red flag. Something in the article just doesn't add up. I am sure there is more to the story he is not telling. I do hope Columbus can either find a different owner/operator that the SPHL can work with OR maybe Columbus can go with the FHL. Their venue and attendance would never support an ECHL franchise.

Awards

3 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

... I really hope columbus fans get a team but i believe the sphl didnt want all the baggage jenkins wanted to bring to the league.  Im sure the fhl would let him ride.  They seem to not have a problem taking anyones money. ...

Don't misjudge the Soskin Hockey League.  If Mr. Jenkins was strong-willed enough to promise all those giveaways & apparently to alienate the SPHL owners (if he ever ingratiated himself in the first place), Big Barry would run him out of his office before his secretary closed the door.  There's no room in today's FHL for a larger personality than Soskin.