Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Former Gator/Dawg Travis Armstrong invited to AHL tryout

7 posts in this topic

Marlies camp news: players are coming and going

by Katya Knappe - SBNATION

The try-out

The Indy Fuel, the ECHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks have announced that the Toronto Marlies have invited one of their players to training camp on a try-out.

Travis Armstrong, is 27, a left-shooting, low-scoring defender, and he’s had a long ECHL and SPHL career. He’s also 6’5”, and he there is nothing in his history that says he is an AHL-level player. 

The Marlies have several defenders at camp destined to be Solar Bears. Some are on two-way AHL deals, and some are ECHL-contracted players. There are several forwards and at least one goalie who will likely go south as well, but the emphasis on Solar Bears defenders has been made necessary by the number of eventual Marlies players who are scheduled to stay at the NHL camp until the end of training camp.

• Like 2

Low scoring? You would think they would that part out :)

Awards

Definately doesn't look like we are getting that signing back.  Congrats to him, hope he makes it.  From what I seen he made a big improvement from his time in the ECHL til we got him back for a few games then he was gone again.  Big and physical defender who wasn't scared to clear the front of the net out for his goaltender.

Awards

there is nothing in his history that says he is an AHL-level player. 

Apparently someone in the Marlies organization disagrees with Katya Knappe on that point.

5 hours ago, vicvegas said:

there is nothing in his history that says he is an AHL-level player. 

Apparently someone in the Marlies organization disagrees with Katya Knappe on that point.

I agree.  Looking at stats or history doesn't show what a guy can do for a team.  As I recall, Tim Boyle has a tryout with an AHL team and I believe Armstrong would outplay him most of the time.  Just one stat you can look at is the teams he got a shot with last year.  Especially the two he spent the most time with.  Roanoke and Indy.  They didnt do to well with the goals for to the goals against but in 22 games with Roanoke he had a 0 +/-.  Then he went to Indy who was about equally as bad and had a -1 in 16 games.  Check the other players compared to him on each team and you can tell if he has a chance to learn the system he can hold his own in keeping pucks from going in the net.  He is big and physical.  Also, not afraid to clear guys out from in front of his goalie.  Not even afraid to drop the gloves if needed.  He was our best overall defender by far I thought last year.  Not saying he will make the AHL, but I can't go as far as Katye Knappe and say he isn't a AHL level player.  I'd like to see him get a good chance with a pretty talented team and see how he would fair.

Awards

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

As I recall, Tim Boyle has a tryout with an AHL team

You are correct, Boyle has a tryout with the Binghamton Devils. So if he makes the team and all the stars align he could end up playing with his brother.