Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
MacGuy

Ice Flyers make big trade to land SPHL star goaltender Sean Bonar

22 posts in this topic

Ice Flyers make big trade to land SPHL star goaltender Sean Bonar

By Bill Vilona - News Journal

The connection that new Pensacola Ice Flyers Coach Jeff Bes made last season with the league's best goaltender, Sean Bonar, has led to a reunion. 

In a surprise trade announced Friday, the Ice Flyers have landed Bonar, the 2017 SPHL most valuable player, after his record-setting year with the Fayetteville Marksmen. In exchange, the Ice Flyers traded forward Massimo Lamacchia and defense Brad Bourke. 

Bes coached the Marksmen for the past two seasons when the team was known as the FireAntz.

"Sean's character and leadership is an invaluable asset as we look forward to the season," said Bes in an Ice Flyers news release. "I was fortunate to watch his work ethic the past two seasons and I can say every day he strives to get better while making everyone around him better."

Read more at: http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/2017/09/29/ice-flyers-make-big-trade-land-sphl-star-goaltender-sean-bonar/715451001/

• Haha 1

I am thinking Bonar doesn't make the team in Fort Wayne and will most likely end up in Pensacola as the starting netminder for the Ice Flyers. Another ECHL team could potentially scoop him up off waivers but I still say he is in the net for the Ice Flyers come opening night.

9 hours ago, jbgentry said:

I am thinking Bonar doesn't make the team in Fort Wayne and will most likely end up in Pensacola as the starting netminder for the Ice Flyers. Another ECHL team could potentially scoop him up off waivers but I still say he is in the net for the Ice Flyers come opening night.

He will take every call up that comes his way. 

Awards

5 hours ago, Marksmen119 said:

And well he should- he's that good of a goalie- deserves to play at a higher level than the SPHL.

14 hours ago, jbgentry said:

5 hours ago, Marksmen119 said:

5 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

And well he should- he's that good of a goalie- deserves to play at a higher level than the SPHL.

He needs to cut his hair if he expects to make a lasting positive impression in the higher levels of North American pro hockey.  "Flow" is a sign of youthful rebellion in hockey these days, not of maturity.  Just saying.

49 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

He needs to cut his hair if he expects to make a lasting positive impression in the higher levels of North American pro hockey.  "Flow" is a sign of youthful rebellion in hockey these days, not of maturity.  Just saying.

JMC, He grows his hair long because of personal reasons. He was the only one on the fireantz under Bes who had the longer hair.

Awards

27 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

JMC, He grows his hair long because of personal reasons. He was the only one on the fireantz under Bes who had the longer hair.

Unnerstooded now.  Thanks.

See they shipped Massimo Lammachia in the deal, wish we still had him Roanoke, I know we got Spraggs out of the deal but he may stick in the ECHL, so would rather have Massimo still.

I checked the Ks roster. Sean was not listed, Garrett Bartus and Michael Houser are their goalies and that's not a bad duo

Bonar and Bourke were released today according to ECHL transactions.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:08 PM, PlayaHtr said:

See they shipped Massimo Lammachia in the deal, wish we still had him Roanoke, I know we got Spraggs out of the deal but he may stick in the ECHL, so would rather have Massimo still.

Look at ROA forum, left you a surprise....10\9 transactions.

Awards

CONTRACTED PLAYERS RELEASED (eligible for waivers/waiver claims):

Fort Wayne:       

Sean Bonar, G

Brad Bourke, D

Based only on opening weekend, it looks like a great trade for Pensacola - Bonar gets a shutout for the Ice Flyers and it appears that Lammachia hasn't reported to Fayetteville.

You just never know in this league.

Awards

23 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Based only on opening weekend, it looks like a great trade for Pensacola - Bonar gets a shutout for the Ice Flyers and it appears that Lammachia hasn't reported to Fayetteville.

You just never know in this league.

Sean Bonar keeps playing like that.....Bes wont have him much longer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awards

nice

Edited by johncena

Yep, Bonar is known for taking call ups after getting shut outs. 

Awards

20 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Bonar keeps it up.....

Marksmen3519- I would seriously consider rewording this phrase- just sayin'

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Marksmen3519- I would seriously consider rewording this phrase- just sayin'

Better?

Awards

1 hour ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Better?

Nice that moderators can go back and edit out their previous comments, thus hiding the original post. 

31 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Nice that moderators can go back and edit out their previous comments, thus hiding the original post. 

Anyone can edit their postings

Awards

24 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

To twist the words of Ringo Starr: "Got to pay your dues if you wanna change your views ..."  I omitted the subsequent line of the song, to minimize further childish sniggering.  :disgust:

• Like 1