Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Goalies [Bartus, Bonar] battling for roster spot

5 posts in this topic

Goalies battling for roster spot

By Justin A. Cohn - [Fort Wayne] Journal Gazette

On the Komets' goaltending situation, this much is known: Michael Houser will be here when the regular season opens Oct. 14 at Memorial Coliseum against the Toledo Walleye. That has set up the most compelling battle of training camp, as Garrett Bartus, Alex Sakellaropoulos and Sean Bonar are vying for the other spot.

“It's going to be competitive between the three of us and I'm looking forward to it,” Bartus said.

So much changed over the summer, including the departure of goalie Pat Nagle and a new affiliation with the NHL's Arizona Coyotes, a spot isn't guaranteed for even Bartus, who coach Gary Graham said “very easily could have been the Komets' MVP last season.”

Houser was sent Monday to Fort Wayne from the American Hockey League's Tucson Roadrunners. He played last season with Cincinnati, going 22-14-1 with a 2.58 goals-against average, a .919 save percentage and two shutouts. He's got 72 games of AHL experience.

Bartus, who was the MVP of the Single-A Southern Professional Hockey League in 2015-16, was called in last season after Nagle suffered an early season high ankle sprain and Eric Hartzell fizzled. Bartus went on to a 21-7-0 record with a 2.68 goals-against average, a .905 save percentage and four shutouts.

“For me, I think it's just coming in with confidence again,” Bartus said. “I kind of built that up last year and I want the same thing coming into this season. I want to keep the momentum going. I worked on a few things this offseason with a goalie coach, cleaned the things up that I needed to, and I feel really good coming into the year.”

Sakellaropoulos and Bonar, though, are no slouches.

Read more at: http://www.journalgazette.net/sports/professional/komets/20171004/goalies-battling-for-roster-spot

• Like 1

When did Justin Cohn start using the byline "Justin A. Kohn"?  Was he transported to the early 1900s and didn't want his readers to think he was Jewish?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Displaced Floridian said:

Don't forget Michael Houser who played in Cincinnati last year

The article made it clear that Houser was going to be the starting goalie come opening night so he isn't included in the battle per se.....If I were a betting man, I would say Bartus has the edge out of just sheer familiarity Graham has with him and what he did in Fort Wayne last season. 

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

When did Justin Cohn start using the byline "Justin A. Kohn"?  Was he transported to the early 1900s and didn't want his readers to think he was Jewish?  :unsure:

Fixed.