Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Marksmen3519

2017\18 New Playoff Format

34 posts in this topic

http://www.thesphl.com/view/thesphl/news/news_494376#.WeTF0xiO3Xs.facebook

HUNTERSVILLE, NC (October 16, 2017) – The Southern Professional Hockey League announced on Monday a new playoff format for the upcoming 2017-2018 season:

The top eight (8) finishers in the league standings will make the playoffs:

CHALLENGE ROUND (FIRST ROUND)
On Sunday, April 8, the League Office will conduct a Challenge Round Selection event with all eight playoff teams participating.

For the Challenge Round, the top three teams from the regular season will have the opportunity to select their first round opponent from the teams seeded 5-8. 

The #1 seed will select their Challenge Round opponent first. The #2 seed will then select their opponent from the remaining three teams, after which the #3 seed will select from the remaining two teams. The #4 seed will play the team that was not selected previously. All series are best-of-three.

SECOND ROUND
The four teams that advance from the Challenge Round will play each other based on original playoff seeding, with the highest-seeded team playing the lowest and the remaining teams playing each other. Both series are best-of-three.

PRESIDENT’S CUP FINALS
The two remaining teams will meet in the best-of-three President’s Cup Final

Awards

Oh, this is NOT gonna go well.  Next up: Shootouts to end each period of play  :wacko:

• Like 1

I agree, not good. I bet this will change next season. Doesn't the owners vote on this?

• Like 1

Awards

2 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

... Doesn't the owners vote on this?

They should have been involved.  I can't believe their hockey ops staffs were consulted.  Looks to me like a desperate attempt to draw attention away from the insanity of three-game playoff series & regular shifting of playoff game locations due to arena scheduling conflicts.

• Like 1

I don't see any much difference, unless one of the lower teams bring in a bunch of ringers toward the end of the season.  I wouldn't really want to chose my opponent that has a chance to take me out of the playoffs.  But agree the owners should be in on changes like these if they weren't.  Since they are the ones putting up the money for the teams.  Seems to me this league likes tinkering with new rules trying to see if they improve the game.  Just like when NHL decided to use the 3 on 3 OT.

Edited by Greg81102

Awards

I am intrigued. There are so many factors that could influence a 1 seeds decision. Say the six seed is the 1 seeds top rival, or the 5 seed has no home ice available, or maybe the 8 seed has had the 1 seeds number all season or travel costs could play into it.

I mean being top seed is supposed to give you an advantage in the playoffs so why not give them the choice of who they play instead of just assuming that being paired against the bottom is the best advantage for them.

• Like 2

The Sin Bin weighs in:

SPHL Challenge Round – Innovation or Gimmick?

By Mike Campos - thesinbin.net

LAFAYETTE, LA — This morning, the Southern Professional Hockey League unveiled their playoff format for the 2018 Presidents Cup Playoffs. While the length of all playoff series remains best-of-three games, the first round will be something new to any pro hockey league in North America.

In the league’s new format, the top three teams will “draft” their first-round opponents. The Coffey Cup champions – the team with the best regular season record – will be able to select from a pool of teams finishing fifth through eighth in the season standings, followed by teams finishing second and third.

“When I heard about it, it was from a gentleman from Austria… When he told me how it worked… this was the greatest thing ever. You literally won’t be able to stop talking about it,” said SPHL commissioner Jim Combs.

Just like when the league introduced three-on-three overtime; we all know how this “gimmick” worked out. Let’s not forget the switch to IIHF-style shootouts where coaches can send out skaters for multiple attempts if five rounds aren’t enough to get a result.

I like the idea of a league taking chances and making a paradigm shift away from established tradition. Three-on-three overtime worked. The shootout changes worked. I’m willing to give Combs and the SPHL owners the benefit of the doubt and see how this plays out in March and April.

Read more at: http://thesinbin.net/sphl-challenge-round-innovation-or-gimmick/

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

The Sin Bin weighs in:

SPHL Challenge Round – Innovation or Gimmick?

By Mike Campos - thesinbin.net

Read more at: http://thesinbin.net/sphl-challenge-round-innovation-or-gimmick/

Only thing i see negative is it gives the 5-8 teams no reason to play harder at the end of the season.  I really don't see this "gimmick" catching on like the others the sphl adopted.  Top seeds will play hard to have the opportunity but takes every advantage away from the 5-8 seeds to keep playing because now it doesn't really matter where they finish.  Also, nothing about it screams "the greatest thing ever" to me.  I'm kind of wishing this idea had stayed in Austria. But the facebook comments are a bit harsh way to put it.

Awards

Last season, 5th, 6th & 7th finished 5 points apart. As close as things can get coming down to the wire, I can see 5th & 6th fighting to try to take 4th and I can see 4th trying to steal 3rd to get at least some choice.

Ice availability and travel distance are really going to factor in as well, I think.

• Like 1

Per this article from NBC, the owners were indeed consulted:  

A week after meeting with Bammer, Combs met with the league’s owners and received zero pushback about the idea. The new playoff format was widely embraced as the group felt this was the future of the hockey.

Personally, I think it adds a whole new level of intrigue to the playoffs.  The first place finisher has a interesting decision to make as does the #2 team.  Imagine the backlash if you "handpick" your opponent and then lose.  Ouch.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/10/16/sphl-gets-creative-adopts-pick-your-opponent-playoff-format/

Next season, we won't even play the regular season games, just have a best 31-out-of-60 playoffs the first round.

Then back to best of 3... :crap:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Per this article from NBC, the owners were indeed consulted:  

A week after meeting with Bammer, Combs met with the league’s owners and received zero pushback about the idea. The new playoff format was widely embraced as the group felt this was the future of the hockey.

Personally, I think it adds a whole new level of intrigue to the playoffs.  The first place finisher has a interesting decision to make as does the #2 team.  Imagine the backlash if you "handpick" your opponent and then lose.  Ouch.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/10/16/sphl-gets-creative-adopts-pick-your-opponent-playoff-format/

Looks like its not as unpopular as I first thought.  In the nbcsports poll 67.37% or 256 votes liked the new format.  While 32.63% or 124 didn't like it.

Awards

Hey it got what the SPHL wanted publicity. They made it to NBC Sports, talked about on NHL Network and already making the rounds on all the teams local TV stations.  I talked to a friend of mine who went to hockey while in Sweden and Germany and he said this was a very common deal among some leagues.  Could be interesting come playoff time

Awards

8 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Next season, we won't even play the regular season games, just have a best 31-out-of-60 playoffs the first round.

Then back to best of 3... :crap:

Yeah, but "the greatest thing ever" about that mega-first round is that the winner of each game gets to choose their opponent for the next game.  Pointstreak will finally have the meltdown they've long deserved.  :clap:

Should NHL adopt wacky 'pick your opponent' playoff format?

Greg Wyshynski
ESPN

The Chicago Blackhawks finished with 109 points last season, atop the Western Conference. That earned them a first-round series against the Nashville Predators, the last wild card, who then swept them out of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

But what if the Blackhawks could have simply chosen not to play the Predators? What if, as a reward for their regular-season success, they instead had the option of selecting the Calgary Flames, who were swept by the Anaheim Ducks? Would they have taken it? And if so, how ticked off would the Flames have been, knowing Chicago viewed them as an easier out despite being the higher seed?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21051826/nhl-why-nhl-adopt-new-stanley-cup-playoffs-format

What I'm TRULY wondering is if they will be picking the teams based on who they want to play, or if "outside forces" will encourage them to play against opponents geographically closer to one another in order to cut on costs of travel (a la the SEHL playoff format).

• Like 1

Just going to say I don't like the format and leave it at that.

Don't forget to voice your opinions on the topic officially, folks, in Speed's Poll.  The link is just above the Chatbox on the Board home page.  :popcorn:

4 hours ago, Speedracer said:

What I'm TRULY wondering is if they will be picking the teams based on who they want to play, or if "outside forces" will encourage them to play against opponents geographically closer to one another in order to cut on costs of travel (a la the SEHL playoff format).

And we have a WINNER!!! It’s all about the Benjamin’s 

from The Hockey News:

Don't call it a gimmick: SPHL striving to innovate with playoff challenge format

By:  Jared Clinton - The Hockey News

Some may call the SPHL's new Challenge Round playoff format a novelty or a gimmick, but the minor pro league is striving to innovate, just as they did when they introduced 3-on-3 overtime more than a decade ago.

Jim Combs remembers a time when the Southern Professional Hockey League was laughed at for playing 3-on-3 overtime. Critics called it foolish, a mockery, and said it was a gimmick the likes of which would never work. Turns out there was something to the idea, though, so much so that it has become near-ubiquitous throughout the sport. 

And now the SPHL is trying to change the game again.

On Monday, the 10-team minor league announced that this season will feature a new playoff format: first round match-ups won't be determined by the traditional seeding method, but instead by way of good old-fashioned call-outs.

“This summer, I met with Axel Bammer from the Austrian League,” Combs explained. “We were just having dinner and he kept talking about this team in the ‘pick spot,’ or ‘this team is playing for the pick spot.’ I finally said, ‘Wait a minute, what are you even talking about?’ And he told me, ‘We have 12 teams and we have eight teams that make the playoffs. The top four get to pick their opponent for the first round.’ I almost fell off my chair.”

Traditionalists may bristle at the idea of a Challenge Round finding its way into the world’s best league, but, then again, the same naysayers derided the SPHL’s overtime format when it first debuted, yet 3-on-3 has become part of the game and, at times, the most exciting part of any contest. Combs can understand the perception of the changes, though, but wants people to realize the SPHL is doing this with the game’s best interest in mind.

“We might be perceived as doing something silly when, in reality, we’re trying to do something that’s innovative and brings people to the game to make it more exciting,” Combs said. “We don’t want to disrespect the game or how things happen, we just thought this would be another level of excitement. It draws attention back to our sport, and I could see this in five or 10 years being maybe, possibly, in the NHL.”

Read more at: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/don-t-call-it-a-gimmick-sphl-striving-to-innovate-with-playoff-challenge-format

Having now read that THN article, can someone please give me permission to vote AGAINST ten more times in Speedracer's Poll?  :hellno:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Having now read that THN article, can someone please give me permission to vote AGAINST ten more times in Speedracer's Poll?  :hellno:

I was the opposite.  Made me want to vote yes, after first voting for undecided.  Could make things really interesting a few years down the road.

Awards

All it took to solidify my loathing for this scheme was this entry ...

... but, then again, the same naysayers derided the SPHL’s overtime format when it first debuted, yet 3-on-3 has become part of the game and, at times, the most exciting part of any contest. ...

Count me as a naysayer who will FOREVER deride the now-ubiquitous hockey overtime format.  Worst thing to happen to the game since they turned the goals to face one another.  :dontgetit:

SBNATION chimes in:

The SPHL Playoff Experiment: A Rebuttal

By Cole McCarthy

On Tuesday, Satchel Price of SBNation-NHL wrote an article discussing how the Southern Professional Hockey League’s new and experimental playoff format could benefit the NHL. The article can be found here, but for those who don’t have time to read the whole thing, the format is that the first, then second, and then third seed in this eight-team playoff get to pick their opponent from the fifth- through eighth-ranked teams, with the fourth place team getting the team that doesn’t get picked.

The idea behind the NHL adopting the format is that it would add some strategy on teams’ parts in determining the playoff berths, would strengthen rivalries by having repeat high-seeds pick the same team year after year, and inject some much-needed drama and stakes into the latter portion of the season as teams would try that much harder for the priority choice rather than take their feet off the gas in order to conserve energy for the postseason. Those are all good reasons to adopt this format, but as an exercise, why not explore potential downsides?

I think having a format that allows strong finishers to choose who they end up facing at the start of the playoffs is an interesting idea, and I even think it would pretty cool if the NHL were to implement this format for their playoffs, at least initially, but I think it shouldn’t be done. 

The playoff format needs to change, sure, but I think a more satisfying change would be a return to a Conference-based format that allows rivalries to form organically through repeated mid-to-late-round match-ups between teams strong enough to repeatedly break out of the first round, rather than repeated first-round match-ups for their own sake. 

Home-ice advantage is enough incentive for higher-ranked teams in the latter part of the season, while playing a more manageable team is enough incentive for a lower-ranked team to make that extra late-season push. The NHL would do well to implement other ideas into the NHL, and an admittedly gimmicky element the NHL would be too conservative to use to its fullest would only make it much harder for other unconventional, but less extreme and far more beneficial, changes to gain traction. 

Let’s save this fringe experiment for an obscure league that has less to lose by implementing it, and keep the NHL’s focus on lasting changes for the good of the league.

Read more at: https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2017/10/19/16492536/sphl-playoff-experiment-rebuttal-pick-your-opponent