Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Marksmen3519

2017\18 New Playoff Format

34 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MacGuy said:

SBNATION chimes in:

Let’s save this fringe experiment for an obscure league that has less to lose by implementing it,

For saying the SPHL is "an obscure league"- :thumbdown::shutup::censore::beat:

Edited by PlannedObsolescence
  • Like 1

The Hockey News Podcast interviews Jim Combs:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/podcast/article/the-hockey-news-podcast-which-head-s-should-roll-in-montreal

Relevant section runs from 23:26 - 34:50.

Interesting aspect I hadn't heard before: there will be a league-wide Pick Party (or End-of-Season Party for 2 teams) that will be broadcast for anyone to view where each of the first 4 teams have 10 minutes to announce their selection.

43 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

... Interesting aspect I hadn't heard before: there will be a league-wide Pick Party (or End-of-Season Party for 2 teams) that will be broadcast for anyone to view where each of the first 4 teams have 10 minutes to announce their selection.

"Brought to you by the creative minds of Pointstreak"?  :blink:

10 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Nope - from the Austrian Hockey League.

Well, if anyone knows how to create lasting rivalries it's the Austrians

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

"Brought to you by the creative minds of Pointstreak"?  :blink:

3 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Nope - from the Austrian Hockey League.

I was referring to the broadcast.  I already knew where The Commish got the cockamamie playoff seeding idea. 

Ah, I figured you were referring to what you quoted.

In that case...

Nope - from The Hockey News. :thumbsup:

• Confused 1

I like the idea, and I wouldn't have a problem with them allowing the second round to pick too.

Only thing i see negative is it gives the 5-8 teams no reason to play harder at the end of the season. 

No less reason than they would have in the current format. I think part of the reason I like the idea so much is because it doesn't lock in a 1v8 matchup. What if the stud goalie for the #8 team has been up in the ECHL all year, and he gets returned for the playoffs? Or even just a team has gotten hot the last two weeks, and they want to avoid them? It makes even more sense in a lower level league where the rosters are constantly in flux.

Also, nothing about it screams "the greatest thing ever" to me.

Ha, yeah, it's just a "fun" different idea. There's nothing amazing about it. For what it's worth, the people I've talked to about it (not diehard hockey people by any means) all liked the sound of it. I suspect that's why it got such wide coverage, and that's a potential good bit of exposure for the league.

Imagine the backlash if you "handpick" your opponent and then lose.  Ouch.

Definitely. As the team picked by the #1 spot, you've got a chip on your shoulder too. A little extra spice to the matchup.

What I'm TRULY wondering is if they will be picking the teams based on who they want to play, or if "outside forces" will encourage them to play against opponents geographically closer to one another in order to cut on costs of travel 

Home team is only traveling one time. That'd be some penny-pinching on the level of Ron Geary.

I apologize if any penny pinchers are offended by lumping them in with Geary. I know you're not terrible people.

Count me as a naysayer who will FOREVER deride the now-ubiquitous hockey overtime format.

Just imagine, 3 on 3 isn't getting enough games to finish in OT... SPHL 2020 unveils new format, 2 on 2 with no goalies!

Well, if anyone knows how to create lasting rivalries it's the Austrians

There was that one thing a hundred years ago.

48 minutes ago, ShaunS said:

... Just imagine, 3 on 3 isn't getting enough games to finish in OT... SPHL 2020 unveils new format, 2 on 2 with no goalies! ...

You're just wishing for that because your team doesn't HAVE any goalies.  :rolleyes: