Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2017\18 New Playoff Format

2 hours ago, MacGuy said:

SBNATION chimes in:

Let’s save this fringe experiment for an obscure league that has less to lose by implementing it,

For saying the SPHL is "an obscure league"- :thumbdown::shutup::censore::beat:

Edited by PlannedObsolescence
  • Like 1

The Hockey News Podcast interviews Jim Combs:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/podcast/article/the-hockey-news-podcast-which-head-s-should-roll-in-montreal

Relevant section runs from 23:26 - 34:50.

Interesting aspect I hadn't heard before: there will be a league-wide Pick Party (or End-of-Season Party for 2 teams) that will be broadcast for anyone to view where each of the first 4 teams have 10 minutes to announce their selection.

43 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

... Interesting aspect I hadn't heard before: there will be a league-wide Pick Party (or End-of-Season Party for 2 teams) that will be broadcast for anyone to view where each of the first 4 teams have 10 minutes to announce their selection.

"Brought to you by the creative minds of Pointstreak"?  :blink:

10 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Nope - from the Austrian Hockey League.

Well, if anyone knows how to create lasting rivalries it's the Austrians

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

"Brought to you by the creative minds of Pointstreak"?  :blink:

3 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Nope - from the Austrian Hockey League.

I was referring to the broadcast.  I already knew where The Commish got the cockamamie playoff seeding idea. 

I like the idea, and I wouldn't have a problem with them allowing the second round to pick too.

Only thing i see negative is it gives the 5-8 teams no reason to play harder at the end of the season. 

No less reason than they would have in the current format. I think part of the reason I like the idea so much is because it doesn't lock in a 1v8 matchup. What if the stud goalie for the #8 team has been up in the ECHL all year, and he gets returned for the playoffs? Or even just a team has gotten hot the last two weeks, and they want to avoid them? It makes even more sense in a lower level league where the rosters are constantly in flux.

Also, nothing about it screams "the greatest thing ever" to me.

Ha, yeah, it's just a "fun" different idea. There's nothing amazing about it. For what it's worth, the people I've talked to about it (not diehard hockey people by any means) all liked the sound of it. I suspect that's why it got such wide coverage, and that's a potential good bit of exposure for the league.

Imagine the backlash if you "handpick" your opponent and then lose.  Ouch.

Definitely. As the team picked by the #1 spot, you've got a chip on your shoulder too. A little extra spice to the matchup.

What I'm TRULY wondering is if they will be picking the teams based on who they want to play, or if "outside forces" will encourage them to play against opponents geographically closer to one another in order to cut on costs of travel 

Home team is only traveling one time. That'd be some penny-pinching on the level of Ron Geary.

I apologize if any penny pinchers are offended by lumping them in with Geary. I know you're not terrible people.

Count me as a naysayer who will FOREVER deride the now-ubiquitous hockey overtime format.

Just imagine, 3 on 3 isn't getting enough games to finish in OT... SPHL 2020 unveils new format, 2 on 2 with no goalies!

Well, if anyone knows how to create lasting rivalries it's the Austrians

There was that one thing a hundred years ago.

48 minutes ago, ShaunS said:

... Just imagine, 3 on 3 isn't getting enough games to finish in OT... SPHL 2020 unveils new format, 2 on 2 with no goalies! ...

You're just wishing for that because your team doesn't HAVE any goalies.  :rolleyes:

SPHL Challenge Round Selection Show to be broadcast live

February 23, 2018

2:46 PM EST

HUNTERSVILLE, NC (February 23, 2018) – The Southern Professional Hockey League announced on Friday that the 2018 Challenge Round Selection Show will be broadcast from the Von Braun Center in Huntsville, AL on Sunday, April 8, beginning at 7:30 pm Eastern/6:30 pm Central. The show will feature analysis and discussion of the first round pairings as teams select their opponents for the inaugural Challenge Round live during the broadcast.

Veteran sportscaster and voice of the Birmingham Bulls Eli Gold will anchor the special SPHL telecast. Gold, has over fifteen years of hockey broadcasting experience, including time in the National Hockey League as the television “voice” of the St. Louis Blues and the radio “voice” of the Nashville Predators. Away from the rink, Eli is best known as the 30-year “voice” of the University of Alabama Crimson Tide, a position he still holds to this day. Stock car racing fans will remember Eli as a former radio “voice” for NASCAR, a position he held for 41 years. Over the years, Eli has broadcast virtually every sport imaginable including NFL football, basketball, baseball, softball and professional tennis, while working for, among other networks, CBS, NBC, ESPN and the SEC Network.

Long-time NHL player, coach, broadcaster, and three-time Stanley Cup champion, Terry Crisp, will be joining Gold as co-host of the SPHL Challenge Round selection telecast. A 10-year NHL player and an 11-year NHL coach, “Crispy” was a rugged defenseman on two Stanley Cup winning Philadelphia Flyers teams in the 1970s, and later, coached the Calgary Flames to the 1989 Stanley Cup title. One of the most popular personalities in the world of hockey, Crisp continues as a member of the Nashville Predators broadcast crew, a position he has held since the team’s inception in the 1998-99 season.

In addition to the live broadcast from Huntsville, each of the other nine SPHL teams will be holding a local Challenge Round/Fan Appreciation Party that night:

Birmingham - Pelham Civic Center
Evansville - Ford Center
Fayetteville - The Wing Company
Knoxville - Knoxville Civic Center Ballroom
Macon - Wild Wing Café

Mississippi - Old Style Bar-B-Que, Olive Branch, MS

Pensacola - Buffalo Wild Wings

Peoria - Lexus Club, Peoria Civic Center

Roanoke - Berglund Center

At each location, fans will be able to bid on a limited-edition SPHL Challenge Round jersey, with proceeds going to charity. Only one jersey will be up for auction in each city. Other exclusive Challenge Round merchandise will be given away at each party to fans in attendance.

Additional details on how to watch the Challenge Round Selection Show online will be announced in the near future.

For the Challenge Round, the top three teams making the playoffs will have the opportunity to select their first round opponent from the teams seeded 5-8. The #1 seed will select their Challenge Round opponent first. The #2 seed will then select their opponent from the remaining three teams, after which the #3 seed will select from the remaining two teams. The #4 seed will play the team that was not previously selected. All series are best-of-three.

SPHL has adopted 'pick your opponent' playoffs. Should NHL copy?

Associated Press - Toronto Sun

SAN JOSE, Calif. — With the top three teams in the Eastern Conference all coming out of the Atlantic Division, there’s a good chance the second and third best teams in the East will play in the first round for the second straight year.

That imbalance has led some to push to abandon the division playoff format and go back to seeding teams one through eight by conference. Why stop there?

The minor league that brought 3-on-3 overtime to hockey more than a decade before the NHL followed suit is adding a new innovation this season for the playoffs.

Calgary coach Glen Gulutzan said if the format was used in the NHL, he’d probably make it known he’d pick the lowest seed available in any case.

“The first thing that comes to my mind is all of us coaches are paranoid,” Gulutzan said. “So to actually have to pick somebody, you think immediately we’ve given them some fuel in a playoff series, right, like: ’Oh yeah, they picked us.”’

Read more at: http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/sphl-has-adopted-pick-your-opponent-playoff-format-should-nhl-copy/wcm/bbacb0cd-8449-427f-81d8-27b66b815c90

Interesting how the 2 photos included in the article are of the Calgary coach quoted and a 4-year old pic of Shannon Szabados in her Cottonmouths gear.

How to Fix the NHL’s Playoff Format
By Brett Slawson - The Hockey Writers

When the National Hockey League altered its Stanley Cup Playoffs format five seasons ago, the changes arguably created more problems than they solved.

"It’s stupid. It’s the stupidest thing ever. It doesn’t work. It doesn’t make sense." – Daniel Winnik

Originally modified in order to generate a greater number of interdivisional clashes, the NHL’s adjustments have instead created an unnecessarily complex system which fails to reward the regular season success of numerous franchises. Further, the alterations imposed have ensured that a number of the league’s top teams are now eliminated in the opening round of the playoffs, effectively robbing the postseason of true best-on-best matchups in later rounds in favour of immediate regional rivalries.

What’s more is that it is not only the NHL’s fans who have voiced their displeasure, as general managers, as well as the players themselves, have made their perspectives regarding the format well-known. Even now as we meander towards the conclusion of the 2017-18 season, the criticism surrounding the NHL’s current playoff format has once again begun to surface — serving as a painful reminder of the flawed system which looms overhead.

As a result, the time has come to propose something new and different.

In fact, it has come time for the NHL to institute major changes to its playoff format in order to reward regular season success and ensure a variety of rarely-before seen matchups in the process.

The inspiration behind these changes? The Southern Professional Hockey League.

A Fresh and Flashy Format

If you had yet to learn of the SPHL’s existence, that is about to change.

Are you a fan of the NHL’s 3-on-3 overtime format?

Well, you can thank the SPHL, as they were the first league to implement the thrilling overtime system and reap the immense benefits of its success. Now, the SPHL has made drastic changes to its playoff formatting — alterations which the NHL should seriously consider implementing.

Read more at: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-playoffs-format-fix-option/

It's a little premature for this discussion, but I have to wonder if anyone has had a change of heart about the format.

Specifically because of the potential scenario with Birmingham. Although the Bulls have cooled lately (currently on a 3 game slide) they turned their season around and went 13-5-0 since Feb 3rd. That includes a 5-1 record against the top 2 teams in the league, and wins in all six of their games that went to OT/SO. It's inconceivable to me that Peoria or Pensacola picks them for the first round if the Bulls make it in. 

This is precisely the situation that was theorized as a big reason to pick someone other than "the worst". I didn't run the numbers for everyone, but I expect no one even comes close to Birmingham's record (especially considering quality wins) during the last couple months. The eventual number one seed (read: Peoria) could've been really getting the short end of of the stick facing them.

It may all be academic in the end. Birmingham has a tough run to close out the season. Two games against #2 ranked Pensacola on the road then back home to face #4 Macon and #3 Huntsville (who just beat them 6-2). They're 3 points behind both Mississippi and Roanoke, and both of them have an extra game to play. It'll be a fun story line either way.