Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

AfghanPiehole

Jeff Bes Suspended Five Games

35 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

He should also be suspended/fined for trading players that he knew would not play.

• Like 1

Awards

5 hours ago, 72Vette said:

He should also be suspended/fined for trading players that he knew would not play.

You must not pay attention to most the offseason trades in the SPHL. It happens every year. A guy's rights get traded, then he never plays for the new team. A prime example is a guy who is now back in Fayetteville: Kalisz. 

• Thanks 1

Awards

That trade was really shady. Announcement of Kalisz returning to Fayetteville on the same day that Bes' 5-game suspension for roster violations was announced? Coincidence? I doubt it.

Awards

10 minutes ago, MarksmenArtist said:

That trade was really shady. Announcement of Kalisz returning to Fayetteville on the same day that Bes' 5-game suspension for roster violations was announced? Coincidence? I doubt it.

Conspiracy theorist?!

Massimo and Brad both told Bes that they were not returning to the SPHL for the upcoming coming season. Was that info relayed to the new team? No it wasn't! Kalisz did not want to play for Bes. Several players left for Europe for the same reason. Pensy will figure it out later. Let's see who returns for next season. Bes has the worse record for the playoffs.

• Like 2

Awards

9 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

HkPOzEH.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

Massimo and Brad both told Bes that they were not returning to the SPHL for the upcoming coming season. Was that info relayed to the new team? No it wasn't! Kalisz did not want to play for Bes. Several players left for Europe for the same reason. Pensy will figure it out later. Let's see who returns for next season. Bes has the worse record for the playoffs.

It doesn't have to be relayed. The new team can reach out to the players either direct or through "friends of friends" to gauge if there's some interest. Players will change their minds, especially if it doesn't work out in the upper leagues or Europe. 

This stuff happens all the time. It's up to each team to proactively work to obtain said talent.

Another strategy is obtaining the rights to keep them from returning to that team, or selling them back later on to the original team.

Gosh, I wonder if anything weird happened getting Hertz from Knoxville via Mississippi?  That was a weird turn of events in a 48 hour period.  I'm sure this was just a one time accident though.

10 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Conspiracy theorist?!

9 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

Hardly. Sometimes you have to add two and two.

5, I reckon.

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with Kalisz or Hertz. Y'all can put "two and two" together all you want but it had to do with an unsigned player practicing with the team in Peoria. A common practice but Trudel has a reputation and history of narcing on people. With the league's new crackdown on that, a simple mistake mandated a 5-game suspension (the minimum punishment).

But I guess y'all wanna keep the tin foil hats on.

Awards

7 minutes ago, Geoff said:

It has nothing to do with Kalisz or Hertz. Y'all can put "two and two" together all you want but it had to do with an unsigned player practicing with the team in Peoria. A common practice but Trudel has a reputation and history of narcing on people. With the league's new crackdown on that, a simple mistake mandated a 5-game suspension (the minimum punishment).

But I guess y'all wanna keep the tin foil hats on.

I don't blame Trudel one bit for reporting it to the league...he had just got beat 2 straight games by the Ice Flyers and it is a rule that is put in place to be followed, not broken.

• Like 2

As established it was a simple mistake. I agree rules need to be followed but I guarantee that Trudel has skated unsigned players. In fact, I know of one player I can say with absolute certainty that Trudel skated while unsigned last season. It happened in Pensacola.

It's like paying players in college football. Everyone has done it and if you think your team hasn't, you're delusional.

Awards

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I guarantee that Trudel has skated unsigned players. In fact, I know of one player I can say with absolute certainty that Trudel skated while unsigned last season. It happened in Pensacola.

That was last season, when the rule was not strictly enforced. This year is different. Every team knew about it before this season started. 

• Like 1

As worked up as you are getting about this, P.O., you just stated it was a rule last year as well. Which, as you also just stated, “should be followed” - level of enforcement aside. Trying to have your cake and eat it too?

2 hours ago, MacGuy said:

As worked up as you are getting about this, P.O., you just stated it was a rule last year as well. Which, as you also just stated, “should be followed” - level of enforcement aside. Trying to have your cake and eat it too?

Re: last question- nope. As you have acknowledged my initial statement, the rule was not enforced last season (though it should have been, but wasn't). Teams and coaches knew about the rule before this season started. A letter was sent out by the league office in early October specifically denoting infractions regarding salary cap, having an unsigned player practice or travel with a team, and other matters. Thus, they can't claim "ignorance of the law" (some might, however, be charged with just plain ignorance). Teams need to be anti-Nike- "just don't do it"- if you get caught you suffer the consequences.

So a rule is only a rule if it’s strictly enforced. Gotcha. 

Mr. Eminian's perspective from Peoria ...

BUSTED: The SPHL suspended Pensacola Ice Flyers head coach Jeff Bes on Wednesday for 5 games, plus an undisclosed fine, for roster violations discovered last week.

League president Jim Combs said Pensacola had a player practicing while not under contract last week while the team was in Peoria.

“This (rule) was discussed specifically at our coaches meeting and with the SPHL board this summer,” Combs said.

The league is serious about putting an end to what has essentially been a way to create unofficial taxi squads. Plus, it has been identified as a liability risk, should an unsigned player be injured while practicing.