Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SJSharkies4ever

Expansion discussion from: GDT: 11/11/2017 - Bulls at Mayhem thread

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

What a MARVELOUS stroke of Senior Moderator genius.  Double MacGuy's salary immediately, Vol'!

0 x 2 still = 0. Sorta like having 2 referees instead of just one at SPHL games. 

Awards Earned

12 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Thanks for clearing up. I didn't re-read the article....just knew he was denied....So since the Bulls have the rights to Cottonmouths, nothing will happen with team name or do you think they will sale so the name can be used again?

Wanda Amos still owns the IP rights to the Columbus Cottonmouths; however, as stated already twice, the franchise rights of the Cottonmouths membership were purchased by the Bulls. IP rights ownership and franchise membership rights ownership are two separate entities. Logos, names, trademarks, licensing, etc. are all still owned by the respective owner, i.e. Wanda Amos. Should any place sell Columbus Cottonmouths apparel, then Wanda will still receive the licensing fee(s) and/or royalties.

Franchise membership is purchased from the league, usually in the amounts of $250,000 or more. I know most established leagues usually range in excess of $750,000 or more. Those rights are granted for a franchise to play in that league and should they cease operations, then the franchise rights are sold back to the league, or can be purchased by an expansion team which could be more or less than the expansion fee.

• Thanks 1

I am curious about Montgomery Al. I never see them mentioned in any expansion topic. Do they not have an arena and/or ice or do they just not want a hockey team?

1 hour ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

I am curious about Montgomery Al. I never see them mentioned in any expansion topic. Do they not have an arena and/or ice or do they just not want a hockey team?

Garrett Coliseum would be the only venue capable of hosting a hockey team.  While it would be great to have a team there, it would take a huge investment since it doesn't currently have ice making capability.  The population is there but would the popularity wane after the first couple of yrs like we've seen in too many southern cities to count?

Awards Earned

18 minutes ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Garrett Coliseum would be the only venue capable of hosting a hockey team.  While it would be great to have a team there, it would take a huge investment since it doesn't currently have ice making capability.  The population is there but would the popularity wane after the first couple of yrs like we've seen in too many southern cities to count?

Thanks for the info. I have never even heard of Garrett Coliseum before so you can tell how much I know about Montgomery. 

1 hour ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

I am curious about Montgomery Al. I never see them mentioned in any expansion topic. ...

With the exception of the occasional threads on the topic started by SPHL Forums members ...

http://sphlforums.com/topic/22268-more-expansion-ideas/?tab=comments#comment-120000

http://sphlforums.com/topic/21131-list-of-perfect-citiesarenas-for-the-sphl/?tab=comments#comment-115138

Awards Earned

5 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Oops looks like I missed it.

5 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

... No big whup. 

Per Merriam AND Webster (take yer pick) ...

Definition of whup

whupped; whupping
transitive verb
1 : to administer a beating to especially as punishment
2 : to defeat decisively

Makes me glad that Mayhem_Fan took it easy on all of us.  -_-

Awards Earned

9 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

0 x 2 still = 0. Sorta like having 2 referees instead of just one at SPHL games. 

And in the spirit of League on-ice officiating, Mac & I take turns making moderating calls from 200 feet behind y'all's posts.  :hockeyref1:

Awards Earned

Even back in the ECHL and WHA The Bulls have never been a winning team. I honestly dont expect us to be a winning team for a few years but I do expect us to stick around. Our leadership is incredible. Art Clarkson has had one successful team after another and Pelham is 100% behind them. Fan support is there, give it time. I am still confident in my team.

Then there's this:

An expansion team unlike any other, Golden Knights could make NHL playoffs in 1st season

By Isabelle Khurshudyan | Washington Post

Nate Schmidt's first memory of an NHL expansion draft goes back to 2000, when he was 8 years old and his beloved home state of Minnesota got a new team, the Wild. That was also when Schmidt first learned about the reality for expansion franchises in their first season.

"They had a lot of growing pains," Schmidt said with a laugh. The Wild won just 25 games that year, finishing last in the division.

Fast-forward 17 years and there's Schmidt's name being announced by the Vegas Golden Knights as their expansion draft selection from the Washington Capitals. The 26-year-old defenseman started his NHL career with a team that won the most regular-season games over the past three years, so Schmidt tempered his expectations for the Golden Knights' inaugural season. But 20 games in, Vegas has won 13 of them, good for first place in the Pacific Division.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2017/11/23/an-expansion-team-unlike-any-other-vegas-golden-knights-could-make-the-playoffs-in-first-season/?utm_term=.7ec16901c891

Awards Earned

So now we're expanding on the Expansion discussion?  How expansive of you, Mac.  <_<

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

So now we're expanding on the Expansion discussion?  How expansive of you, Mac.  <_<

That's why they invented Spandex. Especially useful during this holiday season.

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

Awards Earned