Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

Mazzolini Relieved of Coaching Duties

wow, maybe he can turn things around, still hope we can find another goalie

Wow.

dog-fhl-3-jumbo.jpg

Coach Phil Esposito (not related to the Hall of Famers Phil and Tony Esposito) behind the Whalers' bench.

Coaching
Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result
2008-09 Hudson Valley Bears EPHL Player-Head             Out of Playoffs
2010-11 Danbury Whalers FHL Assistant              
2011-12 Danbury Whalers FHL Head 51 30 20 0 1 0.598 Lost in Finals
2012-13 Danbury Whalers FHL Head 51 28 17 0 6 0.608 Won Championship
2013-14 Danbury Whalers FHL Head 56 37 11 0 8 0.732 Lost in Finals
2014-15 Danbury Whalers FHL Head 54 27 21 0 6 0.556 Lost in round 1
2015-16 Danbury Titans FHL Head 57 39 14 0 4 0.719 Lost in Finals
2016-17 Watertown Wolves FHL Head 56 29 23 0 4 0.554 Lost in round 1

‡ Midseason replacement

The most despised head coach in the Federal Hockey League. He won't get away with the things he did in the FHL. In away arenas, he lines up ten pieces of gum on tbe ledge behind him, unwrapping a piece and tossing the wrapper over the glass onto fans in the front row. He has, after periods and game, walked over to the penalty box and confronted referees and linesmen. I will say eight year old girls should not be where players and head coaches leave the ice. So he knocked her down, she shouldn't have been there. I don't know about rumors of controlling what referees and linesmen work in visiting arenas for the playoffs. That is a FHL problem and isn't going to happen in the SPHL.

Edited by Captain_Crosscheck

Not gonna pre-judge Esposito. That has bitten me in the past. The guys played much better last night and I'm looking forward to a fresh restart. We still have plenty of time this season to right the ship. I am also looking forward to adding some toughness and physicality back into the game. Mazzolini had no clue how to use a tough guy. Let's go Marksmen!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarksmenArtist said:

Not gonna pre-judge Esposito. That has bitten me in the past. The guys played much better last night and I'm looking forward to a fresh restart. We still have plenty of time this season to right the ship. I am also looking forward to adding some toughness and physicality back into the game. Mazzolini had no clue how to use a tough guy. Let's go Marksmen!!!

Yes!! Need to use that "toughness" the right way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarksmenArtist said:

Not gonna pre-judge Esposito. That has bitten me in the past. ...

Trust me - no matter how much you pre-judge Philip P. Esposito Jr., you'll have plenty more to judge as this season rolls on.  Hold on tight, Marksmen fans, it's gonna be a wild ride ...

roller-coaster_1f3a2.png

57 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Trust me - no matter how much you pre-judge Philip P. Esposito Jr., you'll have plenty more to judge as this season rolls on.  Hold on tight, Marksmen fans, it's gonna be a wild ride ...

roller-coaster_1f3a2.png

As long as we go upward in the standings, let the coaster roll.......and wild ride begin.

• Like 1

And just think, Mark Disantis interviewed for the job and wasn't chosen. Call him back owners!

1 hour ago, 72Vette said:

And just think, Mark Disantis interviewed for the job and wasn't chosen. Call him back owners!

Maybe they were worried that he'd depart at the first chance of another ECHL head coaching job.  I'm not saying that is or isn't the coach but perhaps that factored into the decision not to go with Desantis.  Desantis did have a great season when he was here before departing for Brampton.  He hasn't found the same success since after stops in Brampton and Rapid City.  

9 minutes ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Maybe they were worried that he'd depart at the first chance of another ECHL head coaching job.  I'm not saying that is or isn't the coach but perhaps that factored into the decision not to go with Desantis.  Desantis did have a great season when he was here before departing for Brampton.  He hasn't found the same success since after stops in Brampton and Rapid City.  

I think he would have done a great job in the SPHL after no success in the Big E. I'm not sure if any SPHL coach has succeed in the E. Our owners believe in the developing system with player, refs and thinks coaches should be added. That's why they did not choose Mark.

4 hours ago, 72Vette said:

I think he would have done a great job in the SPHL after no success in the Big E. I'm not sure if any SPHL coach has succeed in the E. Our owners believe in the developing system with player, refs and thinks coaches should be added. That's why they did not choose Mark.

Brad Ralph who coached Augusta has had success with the Idaho Steelheads and the Florida Everblades, both ECHL teams.

I talked with a player from the FHL ... Esposito is a tough cookie ... but I am sure that there have been some ground rules put down ... I won't judge him til I see what he brings to the ice!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FIREANTZICEMAN said:

I think Desantis has another job and was not available...

Where is he now?  I always assumed he was the frontrunner for the Ice Bears opening this past summer.  Nothing ever developed, but I had also assumed a bigger name turned them down before they hired Carr.

5 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Where is he now?  I always assumed he was the frontrunner for the Ice Bears opening this past summer.  Nothing ever developed, but I had also assumed a bigger name turned them down before they hired Carr.

A former CHL player told.me.he had.posted on LinkedIn that he had a new job. I never heard where but sounds like he is not coaching

31 minutes ago, FIREANTZICEMAN said:

A former CHL player told.me.he had.posted on LinkedIn that he had a new job. I never heard where but sounds like he is not coaching

I checked his coaching stats on eliteprospects.....doesn't show a team for 2017\18, guess more proof he isn't coaching...

5 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

He retired from hockey and is working a normal job in Canada.

Believe it or not there are other jobs outside of coaching!

I am trusting the new ownership made a good decision with the hiring of Esposito. If nothing else, it sounds like fans at the Crown will be entertained! That might be just what the doctor ordered in the military town.....

• Like 1

Well, the team pulled out 5 out of a possible 6 points on the weekend after they fired him on Thursday ... so ... I would say the team made a little statement of their own ... they came from behind Friday and Saturday night ... I will reserve judgement til I see what Esposito brings ... but these guys apparently haven't given up after losing the coach 

• Like 2