Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

JMC-STL

ECHL Norfolk, NHL Nashville Sever Ties

24 posts in this topic

Affiliation agreement was just 6 months old.  :wth:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norfolk Admirals, NHL’s Nashville Predators terminate affiliation

NORFOLK, Va. – The ECHL’s Norfolk Admirals announced Tuesday the organization is no longer affiliated with the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League and the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League. The team will remain in Norfolk and continue to have a strong presence in the community. ...

“The affiliation change announced today does not affect the normal daily operations of the team or the Admirals’ organization as a whole, but is a sign of the commitment this organization has to do whatever it takes to ensure the team’s success here in Hampton Roads,” said Chief Revenue Officer Trent Ferguson. “The only thing that drives our business and team decisions is our continued mission to create a shining organization that this area can be proud of.”

The decision does not affect the status of Head Coach Robbie Ftorek and his staff and the roster remains intact, as the only two Admirals players under contract with Milwaukee have both moved on. ...

Read more at: http://wtkr.com/2017/11/28/norfolk-admirals-nhls-nashville-predators-terminate-affiliation/

Awards Earned

This may explain why 5 different SPHL teams have had callups to Norfolk in the last 3 days. They may anticipate losing contracted players.

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Sounds like this team will disappear soon!

My morbid thoughts exactly.  After all, it's been almost four years since the last time an ECHL team folded in mid-season.  :unsure:

Awards Earned

If you go by the article it seems the team did it so they could be competitive.  If you read the facebook comments they all seem to think they are doing it because they are folding.  It is pretty sad Norfolk i guess has gotten rid of their social media people.  Either that or they dont let them respond  to any of the fans questions.  Even love how they added that the social media in no way has anything to do with the gameplay on the ice.  Guess thats them admitting they are awful.  

Awards Earned

I can remember when Hampton Roads was the envy of the ECHL in the early 90s and left to go to the AHL, burning a couple of bridges in doing so.

Not sure what's happened over the last 15 years with them as I don't really follow them, but the Norfolk Scope seats around 10k and would be near capacity many nights, with a lot of military folks coming in to watch.

I also seem to recall they've had a recent ownership change, which sounded a bit odd the way it was handled because of some issue with the baseball team? Or am I thinking of another franchise?

Seems like the writing is on the wall.

As for SPHL, they could give that a try but I'm sure the Scope wants to do more than have events where the arena is 1/4 filled for A-level hockey. They'd be more receptive to having AAA-level hockey with it being 1/4 full...

Awards Earned

29 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

I can remember when Hampton Roads was the envy of the ECHL in the early 90s and left to go to the AHL, burning a couple of bridges in doing so.

Not sure what's happened over the last 15 years with them as I don't really follow them, but the Norfolk Scope seats around 10k and would be near capacity many nights, with a lot of military folks coming in to watch.

I also seem to recall they've had a recent ownership change, which sounded a bit odd the way it was handled because of some issue with the baseball team? Or am I thinking of another franchise?

Seems like the writing is on the wall.

As for SPHL, they could give that a try but I'm sure the Scope wants to do more than have events where the arena is 1/4 filled for A-level hockey. They'd be more receptive to having AAA-level hockey with it being 1/4 full...

I believe its a combination of things.  From what I hear a lot is pissed off for dropping back down to the ECHL.  I can see maybe that a few people think that way.  But they were still pulling pretty decent fans in until the last couple of years.  Which brings me to the problem i think is bigger.  All throughout the early 90s ECHL days they had one of the best physical and all around coaches in John Brophy.  If you werent physical or didnt hit somebody, you werent playing on his team.  That is the same reason i think Roanoke fans today and Admirals fans are seeing the same problem with mad fans on social media.  We are both struggling to win games with non physical teams.  After what you are use to seeing throughout the years, watching a lot of finesse hockey is boring especially when you arent winning games.  Just like a lot of fans in the south.  The saying goes if your not going to be physical, win the games, or fight your going to lose a lot of the casual fans because nobody wants to come see you lose every night.  Also, get pushed around and beat up and bullied every night.  From the social media ive read a lot of this is going on in Norfolk for the last couple years.  Im not sure if the Ftoreks dont believe in being physical,fighting, or taking up for your teammates but that and the combination of losing a lot more then winning seems to be keeping the fans from the games.

• Thanks 1

Awards Earned

I remember Brophy from the Richmond Renegades days - remarkable guy.

Awards Earned

If they fold, will the E have a dispersal draft? Team rosters are already full. Can the SPHL pick up these players?

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

I remember Brophy from the Richmond Renegades days - remarkable guy.

This is what rivalries were made of back then.  One of the reasons the admirals and express hated each other.

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, 72Vette said:

If they fold, will the E have a dispersal draft? Team rosters are already full. Can the SPHL pick up these players?

From what Ive seen on transactions, they have quite a few SPHL'rs on their team (Olivieri, Rey, Cook, Pompeo, Miglio)...I don't even know if they'd have a draft since there isn't enough players on one team to supply every team a pick in a dispersal draft. All the SPHL'rs may not make another team roster. Just have to wait and see. 

Awards Earned

It's a shame. This team as been with the E for a long time as the Hampton and Norfolk Admirals before moving to the AHL. I was stationed there for over 16 years and went to every game when I was home. :sad:

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, 72Vette said:

2 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

From what Ive seen on transactions, they have quite a few SPHL'rs on their team (Olivieri, Rey, Cook, Pompeo, Miglio)...I don't even know if they'd have a draft since there isn't enough players on one team to supply every team a pick in a dispersal draft. All the SPHL'rs may not make another team roster. Just have to wait and see. 

The CBA in effect when the San Francisco Bulls folded mid-season (Jan. 2014) dictated that the players on an ECHL contract but not on assignment from the AHL or NHL (i.e., those on two-way contracts) would become unrestricted free agents.  I don't know whether those conditions changed in a subsequent CBA.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

This is the best take so far of why Norfolk fired their president and Nashville dropped them as affiliate.

Listen to Sports Rod Cuts Ties with the Nashville Predators by Rumble In The Morning on FM99 #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/rumble-in-the-morning/sports-rod-cuts-ties-with-the-nashville-predators

Awards Earned

8 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

If you go by the article it seems the team did it so they could be competitive.  If you read the facebook comments they all seem to think they are doing it because they are folding.  It is pretty sad Norfolk i guess has gotten rid of their social media people.  Either that or they dont let them respond  to any of the fans questions.  Even love how they added that the social media in no way has anything to do with the gameplay on the ice.  Guess thats them admitting they are awful.  

It kind of makes me wonder about Roanoke now, considering Sam is coach. Father and son coaching teams in VA, just what a couple hours apart!? Roanoke seems to send their call ups to Norfolk because daddy needs a replacement player. Norfolk is a sissy team and lost their affiliation! I mean the Preds, really? A Stanley Cup competitor, who just 2 seasons ago ran my team through Hell and back!

9 hours ago, ChompNation said:

Maybe theyll come to the SPHL!

I have no idea what your fascination with certain areas being in the SPHL, but I can assure you, that would definitely spell disaster for a Norfolk franchise. If that area is use to ECHL at the lowest level, and AHL at the highest, the SPHL level would not draw decent enough still. The same thing applies to the Little Rock/N Little Rock area. Verizon wants to charge so much in rent that an SPHL would probably not be able to pay the rent, plus the people in NLR/LR want ECHL at minimum back and would not support the SPHL. You could use Barton, with no ice equipment so you would have to replace the existing floor and pipes for a new plant or lease the equipment, but the fans will not drive to Barton or purchase ST to a team, no matter the level, that plays in Barton.

The same thing with Greensboro. We probably would not support the SPHL, but we have not had hockey in so long that we would possibly embrace it. But we were so use to being an ECHL market that anything less would not be suitable, plus no actual arena for the SPHL. Plus, if you consider that Greensboro still holds the all-time ECHL single game attendance record for 23 years now and counting, 20,911 set on January 15, 1994 against the Charlotte Checkers.

1 hour ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

It kind of makes me wonder about Roanoke now, considering Sam is coach. Father and son coaching teams in VA, just what a couple hours apart!? Roanoke seems to send their call ups to Norfolk because daddy needs a replacement player. Norfolk is a sissy team and lost their affiliation! I mean the Preds, really? A Stanley Cup competitor, who just 2 seasons ago ran my team through Hell and back!

I have no idea what your fascination with certain areas being in the SPHL, but I can assure you, that would definitely spell disaster for a Norfolk franchise. If that area is use to ECHL at the lowest level, and AHL at the highest, the SPHL level would not draw decent enough still. The same thing applies to the Little Rock/N Little Rock area. Verizon wants to charge so much in rent that an SPHL would probably not be able to pay the rent, plus the people in NLR/LR want ECHL at minimum back and would not support the SPHL. You could use Barton, with no ice equipment so you would have to replace the existing floor and pipes for a new plant or lease the equipment, but the fans will not drive to Barton or purchase ST to a team, no matter the level, that plays in Barton.

The same thing with Greensboro. We probably would not support the SPHL, but we have not had hockey in so long that we would possibly embrace it. But we were so use to being an ECHL market that anything less would not be suitable, plus no actual arena for the SPHL. Plus, if you consider that Greensboro still holds the all-time ECHL single game attendance record for 23 years now and counting, 20,911 set on January 15, 1994 against the Charlotte Checkers.

Its about 4 to 4 1/2 hours away.  Last year he use to steal our players.  This year he is stealing everyones players.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

SIR:  Norfolk Admirals' attendance is at an all-time low, but team officials insist they're here for the long haul

This story is a couple of weeks old, but it gives an update on the struggles of the Norfolk team

Average attendance of 2,100

• Like 1

Awards Earned

Nice story, I keep up with them a lot and the article hit the nail on the head.  Having Brophy their for 11 seasons having a team that is so physical and if you didnt hit or check you werent going to play for him has got them spoiled.  Big difference to now having Ftorek, who coaches a more finesse game.  From my keeping up with them, they arent physical and they have an awful defense just like the Ftorek we had in Roanoke.  Get outshot by crazy numbers most games.  The other thing in the article that was spot on is winning.  They have been on a good streak but most of the wins and best exciting games have came on the road with lots of goals that fans dont see them live.  Like beating Greensville 8-1 and Atlanta 7-4 away  Then come home and have two games like this weekend and lose 7-1 and 2-0.  In my opinion, Ftorek might have been an NHL coach but his coaching does not appeal to the fans.  To get more people excited, I believe they need to have a change like Roanoke did.  Bring in a coach that is going to make the team play physical and do all the little things on defense that has made Roanoke better and not seeing the ton of shots we were seeing. Like blocking shots, getting into peoples passing lanes, and just being a lot more physical.  Not to mention its a whole lot more exciting to watch.  Im not sure if both Ftoreks have the same or similar systems but reading all the complaints from Norfolk fans it seems to me like they coach the exact same way.  I can tell you from experience from Roanoke, if your not physical and losing a lot of the games the brand of hockey is not very fun to watch.  So yes, they need to start winning or change the brand of hockey they play to make the games more exciting or I fear Norfolk hockey is in trouble.

Awards Earned

https://www.norfolkadmirals.com/press-releases/admirals-sign-three-year-agreements-city-echl/

Norfolk, VA.— The Norfolk Admirals signed a new lease agreement with the City of Norfolk as well as a new agreement with the ECHL, the team announced on Monday afternoon.

Both agreements run for three years and will keep the Admirals, as members of the ECHL, playing at Scope Arena through the 2020-2021 season.

Awards Earned

I'm certainly glad for the folks in Norfolk although I am a bit surprised given their attendance numbers this year.

Awards Earned

3 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

I'm certainly glad for the folks in Norfolk although I am a bit surprised given their attendance numbers this year.

I agree on the attendance. Maybe this will help and get people to attend.

Awards Earned