Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


Roanokehockey

Dawg Talk Blog: The Wrong Bounces

12 posts in this topic

Decided to go ahead and start a new thread for the Dawgs Talk Blog since the old one was several weeks old.

https://dawgstalk.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/weekend-recap-the-wrong-bounces/

Brian is very talented at what he does:

The weekend could have easily gone so differently. Two games, a two-goal differential and one point to show for it. Hockey can be such a funny game sometimes. It is a sport that requires such immense effort and skill yet so often comes down to one odd bounce of rubber on ice. If that rubber bounces a slightly different way a couple times this past weekend, maybe we’re all feeling good right now instead of harping on deficiencies and looking to changes up.

This isn’t to say I think this team is perfect. They need to find a way to string 60 minutes together and control a game from start to finish. And they absolutely need to shore up that defense. Nine goals against this weekend and the team now averages an average of 4.3 goals against per game. That’s ninth in the ten team SPHL. That’s not a recipe for wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
6 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Decided to go ahead and start a new thread for the Dawgs Talk Blog since the old one was several weeks old.

https://dawgstalk.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/weekend-recap-the-wrong-bounces/

Brian is very talented at what he does:

The weekend could have easily gone so differently. Two games, a two-goal differential and one point to show for it. Hockey can be such a funny game sometimes. It is a sport that requires such immense effort and skill yet so often comes down to one odd bounce of rubber on ice. If that rubber bounces a slightly different way a couple times this past weekend, maybe we’re all feeling good right now instead of harping on deficiencies and looking to changes up.

This isn’t to say I think this team is perfect. They need to find a way to string 60 minutes together and control a game from start to finish. And they absolutely need to shore up that defense. Nine goals against this weekend and the team now averages an average of 4.3 goals against per game. That’s ninth in the ten team SPHL. That’s not a recipe for wins.

According to someone, Brian doesnt know what he is talking about.  How dare he say we need to fix our defense.  I guess thats why they hired him.  For his narrow mind. (Sarcasm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

I think its a make it or break it weekend with the Dawgs and Ftorek.  Getting 1 point this weekend is not going to cut it versus the only team we have any chance of beating for the last playoff spot so far this year.  How I see it we are 1 of 3 teams in shambles and so far Fayetteville has had our number in the wins category in head to head.  We lose 2 more games this weekend im not sure how people can have faith in Ftorek anymore.  Last time we played Fayetteville they were on a 7 game losing streak.  Looks like they are on another losing streak.  Hopefully we can compete a little better then we did Thanksgiving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 
13 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I think its a make it or break it weekend with the Dawgs and Ftorek.  Getting 1 point this weekend is not going to cut it versus the only team we have any chance of beating for the last playoff spot so far this year.  How I see it we are 1 of 3 teams in shambles and so far Fayetteville has had our number in the wins category in head to head.  We lose 2 more games this weekend im not sure how people can have faith in Ftorek anymore.  Last time we played Fayetteville they were on a 7 game losing streak.  Looks like they are on another losing streak.  Hopefully we can compete a little better then we did Thanksgiving.

The same can be said for both teams with the upcoming weekend.  It's essentially an 8 point weekend if either team can win both games in regulation.  I know it's still way early in the season but these 2 games have the potential to put a little distance between our teams in the standings.  Our guys will have had 4-5 days of quality practice with Esposito so we'll see if we've made progress.  If we happen to win both games, I'd say a coaching change would be a given for you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

 

Moves are not being made this week, at least not yet. Same group of guys at the morning skate from my sources. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
3 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

  It's essentially an 8 point weekend if either team can win both games in regulation.  

:huh::dontgetit:- if the winning team wins both games, they get 4 points and the losing team gets 0 points (if no OTL or SOL). How does that come out to "an 8 point weekend"? The losing team doesn't get -4 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The losing team loses 4 points they could have gained?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
2 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

The losing team loses 4 points they could have gained?

They don't "lose" the points- they just don't gain them- the loser of both games will still be only 4 points behind the winner at the end of the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It's stretching the concept a bit. Normally, you'd see this applied in a head-to-head chase. They are "out" the potential points, and that's where the idea has always come from. Again typically applied in a more restricted scenario (ex. two teams looking for wins to get into the last playoff spot). If you take those potential points away from them, and you advance yourself it's moving "magic" numbers around in the described fashion.

Either way, probably not worth this much discussion. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
11 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

:huh::dontgetit:- if the winning team wins both games, they get 4 points and the losing team gets 0 points (if no OTL or SOL). How does that come out to "an 8 point weekend"? The losing team doesn't get -4 points.

C'mon, Perfesser, you should know this is common sports vernacular.  It quantifies the extremes of the possible outcomes of the series, as those outcomes may affect standings.  Spend your energies on more fruitful comments, please.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
6 hours ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Moves are not being made this week, at least not yet. Same group of guys at the morning skate from my sources. 

As long as they're having fun, that's all that matters. :eyes: (sarcasm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×