Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

JMC-STL

SPHL Attendance

8 posts in this topic

Some stats from Dave Eminian of the Peoria Journal Star ...

... Attendance is up in the SPHL through 66 games played in the league this season. The league average is 3,024. It was 2,677 after the same number of games last season. ... The Rivermen are second in the SPHL in attendance, but the team is behind what it drew last season. Through seven home games this season, Peoria has a 3,669 per game. Through seven home games last season, Peoria averaged 4,289. A huge chunk of the difference is one game — the Saturday game after Black Friday. Peoria drew 6,981 last season on that date, but only 3,271 this season. That big crowd last season was there for special guest Cubs star Ben Zobrist, who ended up re-scheduling to a different night.

• Thanks 1

I'm very disappointed with our attendance so far in Fayetteville.  I thought with the new front office and increased marketing that we'd be a lot higher at this point.  I know we traditionally draw much better after the holiday season but maybe it has a little to do with having a miserable team so far.  We're ahead of where we were last year so I guess improvement is still improvement so something is better than nothing.  Hopefully we get the numbers back up both in the W column and seats filled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awards

It should pick up around Christmas as Football season winds down.

In Knoxville, that should have happened as soon as UT lost to last-place Vanderbilt 2 weeks ago. :whistle:

My only concern is Evansville's attendance average is skewed by the season opener and "education day". The "education day" game buses in a lot of kids, and has much higher attendance than our normal games. If you remove it, our average drops ~475 people to 2371. It's worth noting we've not even had that many people in attendance since the first game.

I may be overly pessimistic though, as last season got off to a worse start. Just 2052 for the first 7 home games (Oct - Nov).

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

In Knoxville, that should have happened as soon as UT lost to last-place Vanderbilt 2 weeks ago. :whistle:

There's only one way to guarantee you'll finish last, and that's by losing to everyone!

Has anyone else notice Knoxville & Huntsville always seems to get the good weekend dates in January & February every year??? Just look at the home games they played so far (5 each) compared to the other teams in the league they have played 8 or 9. I don't want hear there arenas is not available. It know certain teams get special treatment on getting home dates first compared to other teams in the league.

Everyone will agree Saturday games in January & February is primates dates for attendance in this league. There is 4 Saturday dates in both months in 2018. Both Huntsville & Knoxville gets 6 games of the 8 games.

Awards

It's not like the league has any control over the dates venues make available to each team. More likely, the teams have relationships with their respective venues that allow for what can be viewed as more favorable dates. Huntsville has been in the Von Braun Center almost uninterrupted since 1995. Knoxville in the Civic Coliseum since 2002.

Of course, Fayetteville has also been in the Crown since 2002, so there obviously are other factors involved. In Knoxville, for instance, the recent push for a new arena brought attention to the fact that a lot of entertainment events (read: competition for ideal dates) bypass the Coliseum because it's too old and too small for their needs.

4 hours ago, Antz Fan said:

Has anyone else notice Knoxville & Huntsville always seems to get the good weekend dates in January & February every year??? Just look at the home games they played so far (5 each) compared to the other teams in the league they have played 8 or 9. I don't want hear there arenas is not available. It know certain teams get special treatment on getting home dates first compared to other teams in the league.

Everyone will agree Saturday games in January & February is primates dates for attendance in this league. There is 4 Saturday dates in both months in 2018. Both Huntsville & Knoxville gets 6 games of the 8 games.

You have to remember, these teams do not control their arenas. This is the problem with minor league sports. Knoxville's prime entertainment venue would be Thompson-Boling Arena (Jedi Master Mac can correct me if I am wrong) over the Knoxville Coliseum. Teams like Evansville share their venue with the Evansville Aces.

The Crown, the Centreplex, Landers, Peoria CC, Ford Center, Berglund, etc. are all entertainment venues for their cities and areas. Landers Center will have even less dates to work with during hockey season withe the new Memphis G-League franchise.

Those arenas are not built with just hockey in mind. They are built for the entertainment of the area. In order for the places to make any money, usually no profit whatsoever, they have to book dates for events. It does seem to be one-sided but the science behind it is the bigger the event, the more of a priority it becomes.