Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

THW: Behind the Mask with Sydney Rossman (CT Whale)

1 post in this topic

Behind the Mask with Sydney Rossman

Sometimes in hockey, the path you chose leads somewhere that you could have never imagined, which is one way to describe goalie Sydney Rossman’s path to the NWHL. Born in Excelsior, Minnesota she would leave the ‘State of Hockey’ for Quinnipiac University in Connecticut and her stellar play in goal for the Bobcats opened the eyes of those in the NWHL. The Connecticut Whale drafted Rossman late in the 2016 NWHL Draft (5th round/19th overall) and got themselves a helluva goaltender that maybe they wouldn’t have if she pursued playing goal back home in the Midwest. ...

Following a game in New Jersey against the Metropolitan Riveters The Hockey Writers spoke with Sydney Rossman about her path from Minnesota to Connecticut, playing like a boss at QU, being a chatty goalie and more.

The Hockey Writers: So why did you want to become a goalie? Someone did tell you that the players would be shooting the puck at you right?

Sydney Rossman: (laughs) Yeah, I used to play knee-hockey in the basement with my brother who’s a few years older than me and his friends, and they kind of just threw me in the net. From there I just turned into a goalie, and we do have cool gear. That’s a bonus – the helmets, the pads, everything – the goalies are definitely the best looking ones on the ice gear-wise. ...

THW: Your junior year at Quinnipiac you gave up a total of 35 goals in 38 starts?

SR: Sounds about right (laughs).

THW: That’s pretty good…

SR: We had a really strong team that year defensively. Cydney Roesler was on that team, and we’re obviously teammates here (with the Whale), but we were just a solid team all around. I didn’t get a ton of shots, my D and forwards obviously covered up for me there. We were just a pretty special, unique team and I think that’s what helped us be really successful. ...

THW: How cool of a feeling is it to ‘have some options after college’, which is something that a lot of women hockey player’s haven’t had until recently? How did you find out that you were drafted by an NWHL team?

SR: Yeah it is pretty cool. Through social media and from my coaches at Quinnipiac, who were contacted first to see if this was an option (I’d be interested in) because some girls don’t want to play after college.

THW: You’re originally from Minnesota, so how’d you find your way to Quinnipiac University in Connecticut?

SR: Just through hockey. I never even heard of the school until I visited during my sophomore year of high school I think. I had never been to the east coast, Minnesota is kind of its own little place out there. But I love the east coast obviously since I’m here for a fifth year while I’m still doing school stuff. I’m not ready to head back home just yet (smiles). ...

THW: What have some of the adjustments been for you coming from college to the pro game?

SR: Obviously I played against some really talented players in college, but I think the difference with this league is that everyone is just bigger, stronger, older, more mature. You play with 17-year-olds in college and here there are some girls that are 30. So I think it’s just a matter of the maturity level and the toughness, the physicality is definitely a huge part; they don’t really let anything go in college, a more tight game. Here it’s a little bit more aggressive and fast-paced, which I really like. ...

Read more at: https://thehockeywriters.com/connecticut-whale-sydney-rossman/