Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Roster Moves

277 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

4/4/18

Roanoke Garvin, Grant (C) signed amateur tryout

looks like no updates on www.hockeydb.com since 2014 (this was the only Grant Garvin listed on hockeydb)

Grant Garvin

Wing -- shoots R
Born Apr 30 1992 -- Buffalo, NY 
[25 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.03 -- Weight 210 [191 cm/95 kg]

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2010-11 Nepean Raiders CCHL 51 6 3 9 20            
2011-12 New England Jr. Huskies EJHL 26 3 1 4 19            
2012-13 Connecticut Oilers EJHL 35 3 7 10 37            
2013-14 Holy Cross College AHA 5 0 0 0 2          

Tis why I use Eliteprospects.com

Awards Earned

Wow just seen they released Riley Spraggs and kept Garvin Grant for the playoffs. I could name a few that I thought would go before Spraggs did. Good luck Riley!!

14 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

Wow just seen they released Riley Spraggs and kept Garvin Grant for the playoffs. I could name a few that I thought would go before Spraggs did. Good luck Riley!!

He's married with a new born, that can't be easy in minor league hockey.  The departure may have been a mutual decision 

31 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

15 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

He's married with a new born, that can't be easy in minor league hockey.  The departure may have been a mutual decision 

My guess is since he has been released they can't protect him in off-season.....I will ask and see if I can find out.

Awards Earned

6 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Highly doubtful.  No one makes it the entire season to get up and quit the week of the playoffs.  This is a terrible and poor timing decision imo.  Spraggs was 2nd on the team in goals and 4th in total points all while being scratched multiple times within the last month.  Numbers do not lie.  Wherever he ends up next year, they will be lucky to have him. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Iced Noker said:

Highly doubtful.  No one makes it the entire season to get up and quit the week of the playoffs.  This is a terrible and poor timing decision imo.  Spraggs was 2nd on the team in goals and 4th in total points all while being scratched multiple times within the last month.  Numbers do not lie.  Wherever he ends up next year, they will be lucky to have him. 

Yes, but his being scratched a lot the last month probably played into the decision. All we can do is speculate, none of us are in the room.

Edited by Onetimer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Onetimer said:

Yes, but his being scratched a lot the last month probably played into the decision. All we can do is speculate, none of us are in the room.

I agree, the one thing you always have to remember about any minor league sport, fan favorites will always come and go. Best wishes to Riley Spraggs, while I may not personally agree I trust the staff especially after the turnaround this team displayed after Ftorek was let go.

• Like 1

I am a little surprised by the move. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Spraggs but I started to come around after seeing him adapt to Bremner’s system. I thought he played better under Bremner than he did under Ftorek. A lot of the fans are upset but that’s just sports, sadly. I know it’s tough to be released especially right before playoffs but at this point I trust Bremner. He isn’t perfect but he did extinguish the dumpster fire left by Ftorek and made Roanoke into a .500 team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, robard said:

I am a little surprised by the move. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Spraggs but I started to come around after seeing him adapt to Bremner’s system. I thought he played better under Bremner than he did under Ftorek. A lot of the fans are upset but that’s just sports, sadly. I know it’s tough to be released especially right before playoffs but at this point I trust Bremner. He isn’t perfect but he did extinguish the dumpster fire left by Ftorek and made Roanoke into a .500 team. 

His wife seems to be a fan of yours

Screenshot_20180409-201439_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

His wife seems to be a fan of yours

Screenshot_20180409-201439_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't get the hate. I didn't attack Spraggs personally or anything and I was the first to say that I was starting to come around to his adopting of Bremner's system. Any criticism I had of him was strictly based on his play. I always thought he had way too much ice time under Ftorek and thought that was negatively impacting his play. As I said before, I think he started playing better under Bremner so I hate to see him go but Garvin seems like a heck of player from looking at his stats. 74 points in 36 games with Liberty is very impressive so I am sure that Bremner saw something in him and releasing Spraggs was needed in order to sign Garvin. I'll say it again, I don't hate Spraggs or any player for that matter but if you have the opportunity to get a better player you have to take it.

Interesting roster move in Peoria today...

Winger Chris Horn returns to Peoria after a lengthy call-up to ECHL Norfolk, where he tallied 14 goals and 16 assists in 30 games for the Admirals.

So Robbie Ftorek sends Horn back to Ftorek just in time to make Peoria's postseason roster as they prepare to play the Dawgs.  Hmmmm. 

Peoria also got another player back from Colorado today, so maybe it really is a coincidence. 

Awards Earned

12 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

Interesting roster move in Peoria today...

Winger Chris Horn returns to Peoria after a lengthy call-up to ECHL Norfolk, where he tallied 14 goals and 16 assists in 30 games for the Admirals.

So Robbie Ftorek sends Horn back to Ftorek just in time to make Peoria's postseason roster as they prepare to play the Dawgs.  Hmmmm. 

Peoria also got another player back from Colorado today, so maybe it really is a coincidence. 

I hope there is no sabotaging going on. I doubt there is but if that’s the case that is really petty. There are going to player and coach movements all the time. It’s part of sports! Bottom line is that teams make decisions to win games and sometimes coaches have to be fired and players have to be moved. As much hockey experience as the Ftorek’s have you’d think they’d understand that. I am certain that they do and don’t care and this is just a coincidence but that would be so frustrating if it was done out of spite!

Duh.  I just realized that Norfolk's season is now over.  No conspiracy at all. 

• Like 1

Awards Earned

7 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

Duh.  I just realized that Norfolk's season is now over.  No conspiracy at all. 

But it’s more fun to think that way!

• Like 1

I think it has a lot to do with Peoria players playing for the coach and jumping back into the team knowing what your coach already expects of you.  Unlike, Armstrong who has never played for Bremner and if he came back would have only a couple practices before the playoffs.  Which I kind of agree with.  If they would have let Armstrong come back and play a couple games i'm sure things might have been different.  A lot of new players for Roanoke, Armstrong has never played with.  I believe chemistry is huge in hockey and practices just don't cut it for allowing you to find out what your teammates tendencies are in game time.  The Peoria players will have an easier time adjusting, but lets hope it messes up their chemistry getting these players back with only practices to go.  But Horn is a pretty good player so I wouldn't expect much dropoff if any.  But anything can happen, I still think we have a shot at an upset.  I know it should be an exciting series!!!

Awards Earned

10 hours ago, robard said:

I don't get the hate. I didn't attack Spraggs personally or anything and I was the first to say that I was starting to come around to his adopting of Bremner's system. Any criticism I had of him was strictly based on his play. I always thought he had way too much ice time under Ftorek and thought that was negatively impacting his play. As I said before, I think he started playing better under Bremner so I hate to see him go but Garvin seems like a heck of player from looking at his stats. 74 points in 36 games with Liberty is very impressive so I am sure that Bremner saw something in him and releasing Spraggs was needed in order to sign Garvin. I'll say it again, I don't hate Spraggs or any player for that matter but if you have the opportunity to get a better player you have to take it.

It's always tough for spouses of athletes, they're in the stands and hear all the noise but they also see the other side at home.  It's harder for them to drown out the noise when they're essentially helpless in the situation.  I wouldn't take it as a personal attack from her ( she only called you out by some made up name ) I would just take it as her defending her husband and they just got some news that changed their whole world yesterday.  I know its the nature of the business but that still doesn't make it any easier with a new wife and a newborn.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

It's always tough for spouses of athletes, they're in the stands and hear all the noise but they also see the other side at home.  It's harder for them to drown out the noise when they're essentially helpless in the situation.  I wouldn't take it as a personal attack from her ( she only called you out by some made up name ) I would just take it as her defending her husband and they just got some news that changed their whole world yesterday.  I know its the nature of the business but that still doesn't make it any easier with a new wife and a newborn.

Oh I’m not taking at as a personal attack. I think it’s really funny. I don’t have social media so I have no idea what goes on there. 

Edited by robard
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 12:45 PM, Onetimer said:

Here's some insight to what happened, I suppose it wasn't mutual.  Keep in mind when reading this, its just venting and I don't read it as anything detrimental to anyone involved.

https://thehockeynomad.blog/2018/04/09/getting-released/#more-997

1 hour ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Here's some insight to what happened, I suppose it wasn't mutual.  Keep in mind when reading this, its just venting and I don't read it as anything detrimental to anyone involved.

https://thehockeynomad.blog/2018/04/09/getting-released/#more-997

I don't think the Dawgs are being unprofessional or shady. Bremner is trying to assemble a winning team. Spraggs played a part in that but it seems that he didn't fit with what Bremner wanted anymore so the coach tries to find a player that will work better. He keeps Spraggs because it's late in the season and not many options are out there. Coach finds someone and then has to release a player. It's a business...if the team doesn't win there will be no team. Bremner is their coach, not their friend. Maybe they could have handled it differently and I am sure that is frustrating as a player and a family member but this is minor league hockey and players are moved so often so, while it is shocking and annoying it really should not be that surprising. Bottom line: Bremner is here to win games and is going to do what is best for the team.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Note to Riley Spraggs and family.  Consider Fayetteville for next season.  Same goes for Mike Economos. 

Edited by Make Marky GM

2 hours ago, robard said:

I don't think the Dawgs are being unprofessional or shady. Bremner is trying to assemble a winning team. Spraggs played a part in that but it seems that he didn't fit with what Bremner wanted anymore so the coach tries to find a player that will work better. He keeps Spraggs because it's late in the season and not many options are out there. Coach finds someone and then has to release a player. It's a business...if the team doesn't win there will be no team. Bremner is their coach, not their friend. Maybe they could have handled it differently and I am sure that is frustrating as a player and a family member but this is minor league hockey and players are moved so often so, while it is shocking and annoying it really should not be that surprising. Bottom line: Bremner is here to win games and is going to do what is best for the team.

I agree, I think it totally sucks being waived right before the playoffs.  But you see this kind of stuff in every level of sports.  Players always sit on the bench or in the stands and sometimes never get the chance to play.  Coaches are always waiting to find ways to improve their teams.  He was still getting paid.  I get it people are upset and disappointed for the timing of being with the team all year and getting cut right at playoff roster.  But like we mentioned.  Similar things happening all the time.  How many Peoria players came back from the ECHL just in time to make the playoff roster?  I'm sure they are disappointed also.  What if Armstrong or Goz had come back for playoffs?   We would have a quite few more disappointed players.  When Bremner came in, he said right out of the gate he was here to do the job of hockey coach.  Not to be everybody's best friend.  As this is a business, I see nothing wrong with it.  It's just like playing on a team that didn't make the playoffs.  There is always next year.  But I also understand the frustration and if venting helps her cope with it, I say go for it.  I thought Riley was a good player and wish him and his family nothing but the best for the future.  I can see both sides of the story.  But it's a lot different when you're living it.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

46 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I agree, I think it totally sucks being waived right before the playoffs.  But you see this kind of stuff in every level of sports.  Players always sit on the bench or in the stands and sometimes never get the chance to play.  Coaches are always waiting to find ways to improve their teams.  He was still getting paid.  I get it people are upset and disappointed for the timing of being with the team all year and getting cut right at playoff roster.  But like we mentioned.  Similar things happening all the time.  How many Peoria players came back from the ECHL just in time to make the playoff roster?  I'm sure they are disappointed also.  What if Armstrong or Goz had come back for playoffs?   We would have a quite few more disappointed players.  When Bremner came in, he said right out of the gate he was here to do the job of hockey coach.  Not to be everybody's best friend.  As this is a business, I see nothing wrong with it.  It's just like playing on a team that didn't make the playoffs.  There is always next year.  But I also understand the frustration and if venting helps here cope with it, I say go for it.  I thought Riley was a good player and wish him and his family nothing but the best for the future.  I can see both sides of the story.  But it's a lot different when you're living it.

I guess I look at sports differently than a lot of others. From what it seems there are a lot of fans that are upset about getting rid of Spraggs. There are players that I enjoy watching play and would not want to see them leave the team but I am a fan of the team more than I am individual players. I am sure others feel the same way too but a lot of people at all levels of sports get attached to specific players and lose their minds when they get traded, released, etc. Sometimes player movement doesn't work out but in a lot of cases it does. I want the teams I like to win so I welcome any and all change whether that be coaches, staff, players or anything.

As I have said many times, Bremner made a terrible team into a really good team with existing players and players from a lower league that alone proves to me that the guy knows what he is doing. Will he always make the right decison? Probably not. Will he always be successful? Probably not but as many have said ever since he took over it's just nice to see a coach that actually does something instead of doing nothing and hoping things get better.

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

I agree, I think it totally sucks being waived right before the playoffs.  But you see this kind of stuff in every level of sports.  Players always sit on the bench or in the stands and sometimes never get the chance to play.  Coaches are always waiting to find ways to improve their teams.  He was still getting paid.  I get it people are upset and disappointed for the timing of being with the team all year and getting cut right at playoff roster.  But like we mentioned.  Similar things happening all the time.  How many Peoria players came back from the ECHL just in time to make the playoff roster?  I'm sure they are disappointed also.  What if Armstrong or Goz had come back for playoffs?   We would have a quite few more disappointed players.  When Bremner came in, he said right out of the gate he was here to do the job of hockey coach.  Not to be everybody's best friend.  As this is a business, I see nothing wrong with it.  It's just like playing on a team that didn't make the playoffs.  There is always next year.  But I also understand the frustration and if venting helps her cope with it, I say go for it.  I thought Riley was a good player and wish him and his family nothing but the best for the future.  I can see both sides of the story.  But it's a lot different when you're living it.

Both sides of the story is all I'm trying to give, as fans its easy to sit back and knit pick everything these guys do ( players and coaches ) they live their lives under microscopes. Do I think Bremner believes he made the right decision for the team, sure it's his team and he knows what's best. Do I agree with it? No but that doesn't matter because it's not my call.  Is this sport a business? Hell yeah, if you're not in it to win it and make money why are you in it? And you're absolutely right, these things do happen all the time in sports from top to bottom however that doesn't make it any easier on the families who live it.  I sympathize with them because of their child, I know how expensive and stressful it can be.  I don't doubt for a minute if he wishes to continue his hockey career he will find a landing spot next year and be great at it.  I wish him and his family all the best!