Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Roster Moves

6 minutes ago, sportsdad said:

I thought for sure we would see some call ups coming back by now. I'm gonna stop looking for those guys. Good for them. Does Bremner have contact with the ECHL coaches that have Roanoke property? Anyone?

I know Ftorek used to say he would call the ECHL teams weekly just to check in on how the players were doing. I'm sure there is some contact, but as it has been stated, guys wont be back until the E clubs are done with them. Then they have to pass thru ECHL waivers, before coming back.

29 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

Seen the Babenko one coming, he's been a healthy scratch every other game for the past 2 weeks. Wish him the best.

I seen it coming to.  He played both Saturday games.  In Knoxville he got a double minor for high sticking.  Not sure what happened to him.  Last year you always knew he was on the ice because he was lighting people up with checks.  This year you only seem to notice him when he had bad penalties like in Knoxville.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onetimer said:

I know Ftorek used to say he would call the ECHL teams weekly just to check in on how the players were doing. I'm sure there is some contact, but as it has been stated, guys wont be back until the E clubs are done with them. Then they have to pass thru ECHL waivers, before coming back.

We have a good chance to maybe get a few back for playoffs.  Currently Armstrong who was just traded to Quad City is way out playoff spot.  Also the 3 in Norfolk are currently out of a playoff spot but been making a comeback and not that far from one.  Not sure how much that will really help us out, coming back to Roanoke without any games under their belt with our new head coach and all our new players.  If we can sneak in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Nice to see a liberty university grad signed!!

Colin Murray was released by Kalamazoo today and Brad Barone was signed by Reading as an emergency back up

And a local guy  Mark Shifflett, has been added as back up goalie?  

Edited by HockeyRoanoke

16 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

... And a local guy  Mark Shifflett, has been added as back up goalie?  

Former assistant coach for the Roanoke College men's club hockey team?  Any goalie in a storm.

27 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Former assistant coach for the Roanoke College men's club hockey team?  Any goalie in a storm.

I guess, I really hope Murray clears waivers we could really use some help

Would like to see if Murray would flourish in Bremner’s style of play.

4 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Good for Brad!

But man do I hate it for the us.

Lets just hope Knoxville doesnt go crazy with goals tonight or it could be a real bad night for Zenzola. Would be great to get Murray back.  

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Lets just hope Knoxville doesnt go crazy with goals tonight or it could be a real bad night for Zenzola. Would be great to get Murray back.  

Last we saw Roanoke, you guys were rotating both goalies throughout the game.  Does your one goalie have the stamina for all 60 minutes yet?  Did you guys ever get them shifting on the fly, or did they stay steadfast to rotating on the timeouts and after each fourth goal scored?

Edited by Carey Mahoney
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Mike Moroso released on waivers today. I assume that probably means Murray will be meeting the boys in Knoxville.

1 hour ago, vicvegas said:

Mike Moroso released on waivers today. I assume that probably means Murray will be meeting the boys in Knoxville.

Yup, that -23 +/- rating just kept inflating.  Knew it was eventually going to happen.  He has some speed but not very physical like the style Coach Brems wants to play.  Hate to see players get waived but to improve, changes will need to be made.  So far i like most of  the group coach has assembled since being here.  I got faith in all his decisions so far 

8 minutes ago, Soulmiser said:

Rowland will be available next weekend.

He only had 4 games under his belt before the injury.  I cant even remember what his strengths and weaknesses were.  Sure he never got to show them, probably was trying to adjust to the pro game.

1 hour ago, Soulmiser said:

Rowland will be available next weekend.

I thought he went back on the 30 day today?

He told me last night that he should be medically cleared Thursday. Not sure if that changed today or not.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

I thought he went back on the 30 day today?

He did but im not sure exactly how the IR works being on it multiple times.  Tatrn was put on the 30 day IR again on Jan. 13 but was activated off of it on Jan. 22 so im thinking after they have been on it for 30 days they can go back on it but not have to stay 30 more days.  Maybe someone else knows the official rules.

• Like 1

Can we assume Murray will be back with the team soon? He hasn't been picked up by any ECHL teams yet but I've seen nothing else on his status.

2 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Can we assume Murray will be back with the team soon? He hasn't been picked up by any ECHL teams yet but I've seen nothing else on his status.

Either that, he retires, goes to play oversees, we trade, or we release him.  Lots of scenarios are possible, but with the release of Mike Moroso I was expecting something.  Only other thing I can think of is they released him for Brian Rowland when he is healthy.  Still cant figure out why they did it to play a player short in Knoxville, unless it was a mutual decision.

I don't think you will see anything on Murray added to the roster until later in the week. He was just released Friday, so I'm sure he was probably waiting around to see if any other ECHL team picked him up off waivers on Saturday probably headed back to Roanoke today. I wouldn't read too much into it, I'm thinking we will see him this weekend in a Dawgs uniform.

• Like 1

Brian Elliott was activated for the Flyers and they sent Andy Lyons back to the AHL.  Might see a trickle down effect tomorrow and maybe get Barone back.

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Brian Elliott was activated for the Flyers and they sent Andy Lyons back to the AHL.  Might see a trickle down effect tomorrow and maybe get Barone back.

AHL transactions is already showing John Muse returned to Reading but as usual the ECHL transactions list is behind the curve. I can't imagine Barone not showing up on the waiver wire today, and hopefully back in Roanoke in time to catch the bus to Fayetteville for Thursdays game.