Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Birmingham @ Roanoke 12/14/17 7:05 est

35 posts in this topic

We got some muscle.  Vandergunst is dressed and warming up.

• Like 1

Awards

2 minutes ago, Onetimer said:

Well, same ole same ole. 22-50

Yes, what a major let down after last game.  Maybe seen a couple checks all night long.  Went back to not being able to pass.  Didnt drive the puck to the net.  How many of our shots were from outside the blue line?  We just cant keep our intensity up all the time.  After Ftorek talk of wanting to get a lead and conserve energy, it looked that way just about the whole game anyways.  We have no consistency from game to game.  Only cosistency ive seen is once we play a good game, the next game we are flat.  So far, im not impressed with our trade.  Russell always entertained, with a couple breakaways a game and checking.  Tonight wasnt exciting at all.  Looks like Birmingham is better then we are.  Believe we are in trouble.

Awards

Another thing, why did Barone not play?  Zenzola didnt play bad, 2 goals he had no chance on.  But Barone stopped 50 of 51 shots his last game out, yet you start 2 goaltenders in back to back games instead of him.  Thought process makes no sense to me.  What happened with playing the hot goalie?

Awards

If anyone watching this game tonight doesn't think a big change needs to be made, really must have been watching something else.

Edited by Onetimer

Just now, Onetimer said:

If anyone watching this game tonight doesn't think a big change needs to be made, really must have been watching something else.

I agree.  If you cant motivate your team to play every night with the same effort, instead of once in a blue moon you play a complete game.  Get someone who can.  That was pitiful performance against the last place team.  If your going to play that boring style of hockey and no physicality at all, you need to atleast win games.  We are just boring and lose a lot.  Somethings got to change.

• Like 1

Awards

I’ve heard that Ftorek, his family, and many of the players on the team are really nice and overall good people! That’s the kind of people we need! We may not win games but at least we have nice people!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, robard said:

I’ve heard that Ftorek, his family, and many of the players on the team are really nice and overall good people! That’s the kind of people we need! We may not win games but at least we have nice people!

lmao. Not who we need.  We need someone who will light a fire under there asses if they play a sorry game like that.  We tried the nice guy routine and obviously its not working.  Read this old article about Fayetteville's new coach.  Think thats what we need!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newstimes.com/sports/amp/Packed-bags-side-jobs-in-the-Federal-Hockey-6795648.php

Awards

Nice doesn't win hockey games and no matter what people say, that is what the goal is. Yes, it's good to have fan favorites and all that, but if you're not winning,  people stop coming. 1900 in attendance tonight,  personally I don't think there was anywhere near that many actually there.

7 minutes ago, Knuckleballer said:

Why do players get recycled, especially goalies? 

So many call ups to the ECHL or injuries.  So basically one team will drop someone and other teams will pick them up if they need a replacement.

Awards

3 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

So many call ups to the ECHL or injuries.  So basically one team will drop someone and other teams will pick them up if they need a replacement.

Last season, you brought up Matt Kaludis from the FHL who went back to Berlin and was a determining factor in them going to game 5 of a best of 5 championship game. Played 33 games with a 20-10-3 record and was 4-2-1 in the playoffs. This was after he finished his collegiate career being a final four finalist for ACHA D1 All American player of the year. Was first team All American goalie. Yet is not given the opportunity to show what he can do, and is always a fan favourite where ever he plays. 

1 minute ago, Knuckleballer said:

Last season, you brought up Matt Kaludis from the FHL who went back to Berlin and was a determining factor in them going to game 5 of a best of 5 championship game. Played 33 games with a 20-10-3 record and was 4-2-1 in the playoffs. This was after he finished his collegiate career being a final four finalist for ACHA D1 All American player of the year. Was first team All American goalie. Yet is not given the opportunity to show what he can do, and is always a fan favourite where ever he plays. 

Its tough for a player to move up the leagues.  Just take a look at Sean Bonar. He broke almost every SPHL record last year.  He has a 4-0 1.91 gaa in Atlanta now.  Then Nashville dropped their affiliation with Norfolk and had another goalie placed there from Milwaukee in the AHL.  He has been riding reserve watching both goalies lose game after game while playing great and winning.  They are both under contract from higher leagues so he is the odd man out because they are obligated to play the other goalies over him.  He might get a start now, Vlader just got recalled up to Providence.

Awards

3 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Its tough for a player to move up the leagues.  Just take a look at Sean Bonar. He broke almost every SPHL record last year.  He has a 4-0 1.91 gaa in Atlanta now.  Then Nashville dropped their affiliation with Norfolk and had another goalie placed there from Milwaukee in the AHL.  He has been riding reserve watching both goalies lose game after game while playing great and winning.  They are both under contract from higher leagues so he is the odd man out because they are obligated to play the other goalies over him.  He might get a start now, Vlader just got recalled up to Providence.

Absolutely right, I guess when the goalies are on a contract they have to play them till it proves they made a mistake.  Hope Bonar sticks, because he does deserves that opportunity to show.

14 minutes ago, evanlang11 said:

Ftorek has GOT TO GO. Plain and simple.

Maybe you need to get another flag that says that for when the other team scores.  It would get more use.:2thumbsup:

• Like 1

Awards

The thing that killed me is even though it 2-2 after the 1st period, I thought we played pretty good, we looked lost and confused in the 2nd and 3rd period. I might have been wrong and Vandergunst, if he can keep from taking stupid penalties like he did with his former teams he just might be a good addition and not just for his fighting skills, he skates and moves a lot better than most of team, he's really the 1st player I have seen on the Dawgs that crashed the net. He was wide open in front of their goalie last night twice banging his stick for the puck the wings both time tried to pass the back back to the point and turned it over both times, that's the crap that needs to get fixed, they throw the puck at the net when nobody is there and then don't when they have people there. Frustrating to say the least hopefully they can steal a point tonight and get 2 on Saturday.

I think Sam Ftorek is a great guy, and I truly think he means well and I don't wish it upon anyone to lose their jobs, especially when they have a family. That being said, he's proven himself to be completely ineffective as a head coach, and if any other team were almost 20 games in without a single regulation win, they'd probably get rid of the whole team, coach included. He's just not very good and I think they should start searching for his replacement ASAP. There's just no drive or motivation out there on the ice, and to be honest if I were on the team, I'd likely just quit listening to him. The personnel changes are also insanely puzzling as well. Why release Ryan De Melo (who was actually really solid, as long as he didn't try to play the puck), for a guy whose numbers are even worse? There's no grit, there's no cohesion, and there's no chemistry out there on the ice, and that is ultimately on Sam. I think we need some changes after the first of the year if this ship doesn't right itself soon. The average attendance is still decent, but if we're still this bad next year, it definitely won't be. 

• Like 1

I am really starting to think about submitting my interest into Roanoke for the HC job. I could do so much rebuilding of that squad and make them a team the RV would be proud of and see big crowds every home game.

Greg, what do face-offs look like with the Dawgs versus opponents?

13 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

I am really starting to think about submitting my interest into Roanoke for the HC job. I could do so much rebuilding of that squad and make them a team the RV would be proud of and see big crowds every home game.

Greg, what do face-offs look like with the Dawgs versus opponents?

From the faceoffs,  in my opinion is they dont have trouble winning faceoffs.  They just have trouble getting control of the puck after they win them.  A lot of the time they will go all the way back down the ice.  Or we win them and the other team will take control of them.  By far the worst thing to watch is how they break the puck out of their own zone.  Passing has always been awful with us.  Every team we play always looks better at passing then we do.  Birmingham's passing wasnt very good out of their zone either.  But they had guys crashing the net and putting passes into the net.  They had two nice passes that were turned into goals.  I just dont understand how most of these guys have been together for a couple years now but passing still looks awful compared to every other team.

Awards

1 hour ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

I think Sam Ftorek is a great guy, and I truly think he means well and I don't wish it upon anyone to lose their jobs, especially when they have a family. That being said, he's proven himself to be completely ineffective as a head coach, and if any other team were almost 20 games in without a single regulation win, they'd probably get rid of the whole team, coach included. He's just not very good and I think they should start searching for his replacement ASAP. There's just no drive or motivation out there on the ice, and to be honest if I were on the team, I'd likely just quit listening to him. The personnel changes are also insanely puzzling as well. Why release Ryan De Melo (who was actually really solid, as long as he didn't try to play the puck), for a guy whose numbers are even worse? There's no grit, there's no cohesion, and there's no chemistry out there on the ice, and that is ultimately on Sam. I think we need some changes after the first of the year if this ship doesn't right itself soon. The average attendance is still decent, but if we're still this bad next year, it definitely won't be. 

I agree with everything you say, except de Melo.  Yes we dont give our goalies very much chance to succeed.  But you also cant have a goalie going out of his net all the time putting his team in a bigger hole.  He by himself cost us two goals and a dumb delay of game penalty for his bad play out of net.  Watching Zenzola play, he always came out behind the net like a lot of goalies do.  But he played the puck and got right back in it.  When you start skating up the sides like de Melo did your just asking for problems.  So i will agree our team doesnt give our goalies much of a chance to succeed being bombarded by shots.  But a goalie needs to stay close to his goal or as we seen it can turn ugly.

Awards

2 minutes ago, slap shot said:

Anyone who knows Hockey will tell you it’s clearly the coach!!

It really is that simple

To a point, YES! An ineffective coach cannot teach simple fundamentals.

:Look at Pittsburgh's offense. They can box out effectively (a basic Box & 1 setup), and usually use a point man outside of the slot as a setup man. Basically looks like this:

X
X                 X

X                 X
         O

With that one point man, he can control the passing from left-to-right or right-to-left. This box & 1 setup can kill a defense quick. You can do many tape-to-tape passing that causes the defense to constantly move around to try and defend against a potential shot. While all 5 attackers are in the offensive zone, they are limiting the chance of the defense from changing up for fresh legs, because they cannot chance leaving their point men to switch lines and risk giving up a goal.

As such, you will then see the opposing team dump the puck so they can change it up and then Pittsburgh repeats the same process.

9 minutes ago, slap shot said:

Anyone who knows Hockey will tell you it’s clearly the coach!!

It really is that simple

Im starting to agree.  I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt.  But he cant motivate his team to play at a high level consistency all the time.  That game last night was what we might expect for the Saturday night game after traveling 16 hours on bus to play 3 games in 3 days.  That was only the 1st game of the 3 and showed little effort.  Definately not what I wanted to see.  Another boring and lackluster game we got treated to.

Awards