Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

GDT: Peoria @ Knoxville - Saturday

Rivermen vs. Ice Bears

7:35 ET Game time @ the Civic Coliseum

Coach's Corner: 6:20 in the lower level Exhibition Hall. MemBEAR's-only entrance opens at 6:10

Wiener Dog Race Night - Presented by Pet Supplies Plus. All dachshunds are eligible to compete in the Ice Bears' most popular promotion. $1 off Hot Dogs. Group rate pricing available for families & friends of all race contestants.   ***The Jersey Auction listed in the pocket schedule for tonight is not happening.***

SPHL Scoreboard
Pre-Game Notes
GAME LIVE
Live Gamesheet

Live video at Neulion ($7.99)

POST GAME SKATE with the team. Bring your own skates.

SUNDAY, Dec. 17th: Chilly’s Cub Club Party - from 2-4pm at the Coliseum.

Don’t get me wrong i have bashed our play vs Peoria but the team proved me wrong tonight. One thing i thought was nuts was the fire Carr posts. He needs time to turn this hockey team around but tonight’s bounce back win earns respect in my opinion to those who bash our coach. He’s doing this with 50% or so craigen players, 

9 hours ago, JustinIceBears said:

Don’t get me wrong i have bashed our play vs Peoria but the team proved me wrong tonight. One thing i thought was nuts was the fire Carr posts. He needs time to turn this hockey team around but tonight’s bounce back win earns respect in my opinion to those who bash our coach. He’s doing this with 50% or so craigen players, 

He has 3 Craigen players.  One is Berkley Scott.  If you willingly keep that bum, it's on you.  This team has regressed since about 3 weeks into the season.  His roster is made up of fringe players(that hustle to give credit).  They did not play well last night.  They persevered and found a way to make it happen for two periods.  This team is not progressing, and that is concerning.  This coach should have started slow and shown improvement.  He seems to have improved the team culturally and shown great attitude, but the product is not getting better.  He needs to fix system or roster.  I see neither moving.  I'm stunned to see him leave vet spots unfilled when there are holes, especially on D.

No one mentioned firing him.  The statement was just that it was a personal surprise that some found a personal preference for what we had with Craigen.  That's not a vote for either, but simply an acknowledgement that Carr may not be an improvement.  Guys removed from Tier 14 Jr teams in their second year create a situation where I can get concerned quickly that he is not the right choice.  History (Mark Rodgers) shows our coaching searches aren't always perfect.

Edited by Carey Mahoney

30 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

He has 3 Craigen players.  One is Berkley Scott.  If you willingly keep that bum, it's on you.  This team has regressed since about 3 weeks into the season.  His roster is made up of fringe players(that hustle to give credit).  They did not play well last night.  They persevered and found a way to make it happen for two periods.  This team is not progressing, and that is concerning.  This coach should have started slow and shown improvement.  He seems to have improved the team culturally and shown great attitude, but the product is not getting better.  He needs to fix system or roster.  I see neither moving.  I'm stunned to see him leave vet spots unfilled when there are holes, especially on D.

No one mentioned firing him.  The statement was just that it was a personal surprise that some found a personal preference for what we had with Craigen.  That's not a vote for either, but simply an acknowledgement that Carr may not be an improvement.  Guys removed from Tier 14 Jr teams in their second year create a situation where I can get concerned quickly that he is not the right choice.  History (Mark Rodgers) shows our coaching searches aren't always perfect.

What is striking is that with a new coach and practically new roster, the problems are exactly the same as last year: Inability to beat fast physical teams, abysmal power play and tons of stupid penalties. I would say that points more to the upper management of the team than the coach. ECHL call ups are a problem every year. Some teams have a decent recruiting pipeline to replacement players, so ECHL call ups are not a huge deal. In our case, I don't think Coach Carr has yet a clear strategy for dealing with call ups -- the departure of Evan Neugold in particular left a huge hole in our defense, and some of the remaining D-men are not quite ready for the prime time. Also, if Zoltan Hetenyi gets hurt, we may as well call it a season.

Looking at the gamesheet and penalties in particular. Why did Howe get so many penalties and Storm Phaneuf only get 5 minutes? Phaneuf left his goal and came down the ice looking for a fight with Zoltan, he just got intercepted. 

BTW, I found a news story about Storm Phaneuf at the game last night. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/junior-goalie-storm-phaneuf-suspended-nine-games-for-kicking-player-with-skate

Edited by Eddie 70

12 minutes ago, Eddie 70 said:

Looking at the gamesheet and penalties in particular. Why did Howe get so many penalties and Storm Phaneuf only get 5 minutes? Phaneuf left his goal and came down the ice looking for a fight with Zoltan, he just got intercepted. 

BTW, I found a news story about Storm Phaneuf at the game last night. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/junior-goalie-storm-phaneuf-suspended-nine-games-for-kicking-player-with-skate

It’s a funny story to try and read unbiased 

Peoria fish-wrapper account (since Knoxville's paper can't be bothered to cover local pro sports):

Rivermen goaltender Phaneuf fights Knoxville heavyweight, teams skirmish at end of 4-2 Peoria loss

By Dave Eminian - Journal Star

Peoria Rivermen goaltender Storm Phaneuf was in a fight with a 6-foot-6 Knoxville enforcer, Rivermen coach Jean-Guy Trudel was in a shouting match with Ice Bears coach Jeff Carr and the Rivermen left Knoxville Coliseum with hard feelings and a loss Saturday.

Peoria built a two-goal lead in the first period and looked on its way to another easy victory over Knoxville. But the Rivermen managed only two shots in the first 14 minutes of the third period, gave up the game-winner at 17:33, and faded to a 4-2 loss before 4,521 in Knoxville, Tenn.

It ended in a good old-fashioned, old-time hockey mess.

Phaneuf ended up in a fight with Knoxville heavyweight Tyler Howe as the Ice Bears confronted the Rivermen in the final seconds in an incident that carried past the final horn.

Knoxville’s Mike Chen was boxed for slashing with 25 seconds left in the game, and it helped escalate the situation. As the final seconds ticked down and the final horn sounded, Knoxville goaltender Zoltan Hetenyi was throwing punches at a Rivermen player down ice.

Phaneuf skated down ice intending to pair up with the goaltender. Before he could get there, the 6-foot-6, 237-pound Howe left the Knoxville bench and headed straight for Phaneuf, fighting him.

The Rivermen say officials loaded Howe back onto the Knoxville bench after that fight broke up — and that Howe then left the bench a second time to re-join the fray.

Howe was ejected with a leaving the bench penalty, which by SPHL rule this season carries a three-game suspension for the player and five-gamer for his head coach.

The Rivermen stood their ground at the red line, near the bench, while Knoxville players challenged them to fight while Trudel and Carr jawed at each other. Trudel ordered his team to the locker room.

“We gave up an awful goal for the game-winner at the end there, and then they got an empty-netter on a play that I guarantee was an icing infraction on them,” Trudel said via phone after the game. “Their heavyweight (enforcer Tyler Howe) jumped off the bench and made a bee-line toward our goaltender to fight him. Referee looked right at it as he did it. They got him back on the bench, then he jumped off the bench a second time.

“The video will go to the league and we’ll see what happens.”

Read more at: http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20171216/rivermen-goaltender-phaneuf-fights-knoxville-heavyweight-teams-skirmish-at-end-of-4-2-peoria-loss

Funny how Trudel doesn't mention that the empty-netter was irrelevant to the final outcome, that Phaneuf had crossed the entire length of the ice to fight Hetényi when Howe caught up to him, or that Klecha got away with no penalties.

52 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Peoria fish-wrapper account (since Knoxville's paper can't be bothered to cover local pro sports):

Rivermen goaltender Phaneuf fights Knoxville heavyweight, teams skirmish at end of 4-2 Peoria loss

By Dave Eminian - Journal Star

Read more at: http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20171216/rivermen-goaltender-phaneuf-fights-knoxville-heavyweight-teams-skirmish-at-end-of-4-2-peoria-loss

Funny how Trudel doesn't mention that the empty-netter was irrelevant to the final outcome, that Phaneuf had crossed the entire length of the ice to fight Hetényi when Howe caught up to him, or that Klecha got away with no penalties.

Yep Trudel is very selective with his outrage 

3 hours ago, kiblet said:

What is striking is that with a new coach and practically new roster, the problems are exactly the same as last year: Inability to beat fast physical teams, abysmal power play and tons of stupid penalties. I would say that points more to the upper management of the team than the coach. ECHL call ups are a problem every year. Some teams have a decent recruiting pipeline to replacement players, so ECHL call ups are not a huge deal. In our case, I don't think Coach Carr has yet a clear strategy for dealing with call ups -- the departure of Evan Neugold in particular left a huge hole in our defense, and some of the remaining D-men are not quite ready for the prime time. Also, if Zoltan Hetenyi gets hurt, we may as well call it a season.

Nice post.  I do think Craigen built his teams more specifically for the small home ice, and that was good and bad at various times.  Also, Craigen's only team that received lots of penalties was last year.  That team thought they were super tough for some reason.  The team this year takes lots of bad stick infractions, not so much rough stuff.  Craigen's teams would finish checks normally, though.  This team does not do that most games.  I think the most accurate thing you've said is that Carr has no strategy for dealing with in-season roster needs (call-ups).  He has looked lost when his roster needed repair or change.  I hope he figures that out.  If not, I'm just afraid that we'll be starting over again next year.  If that happens again, they have to find a proven coach of some sort and step away from the developmental philosophy in regards to coaching hires.

I think the Ice Bears shop needs to go with new shirts.  Front:  FEMA Storm Team  Back:  You've Been Thunderstruck

With Carr likely getting the mandatory 5 game suspension and having no assistant coach, I think we should go with guest coaches.  Let's show Craigen we still love him and get him the day after Christmas home slot.

Edited by Carey Mahoney

I think coach carr has done a fair job so far,I agree he should be shopping for a vet defensemen and a proven scorer..I mean you have the 3 vet spots use them..he has assembled a good team made up of mostly rookies...and the goalie situation if zoltwn went down we would be in trouble we need a dependable back up as well..we are a 500 team right now .it's still early i think with a couple additions we will be good.

Edited by mitchg73

2 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Video of the end of the game (and the game recap video after that), courtesy of the Peoria Journal Star.

:cheering::girlfight::beat::nhl_fight::popcorn:

Hate to see Howell get the suspension, but I love to see them gel as a team. You win, lose,laugh, cry as a team. That’s when you get better as a team not a bunch of individuals. 

• Like 1

He has those 3 gamer tryouts he can use to evaluate some players.but he really needs a vet defensemen to help lead some of these younger guys.but I'm sure Murray will be behind the bench for Carr's suspension.

Berkeley Scott is probably one of the best players we've had in a long time. Definitely not a "bum".

I want Craigen back as much as I would like an STD.

There. Said it. Done.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mitchg73 said:

He has those 3 gamer tryouts he can use to evaluate some players.but he really needs a vet defensemen to help lead some of these younger guys.but I'm sure Murray will be behind the bench for Carr's suspension.

Plus Fleigel has been playing most of the season with a cast in his hand (fractured fingers)... He's a real trooper but once Evan Neugold left the rest of the D corps have regressed quickly.

10 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Berkeley Scott is probably one of the best players we've had in a long time. Definitely not a "bum".

There. Said it. Done.

Berks is a great hockey player and a great guy off the ice, but his personality just is not that of a veteran leader. Craigen had his chance and regardless of whether bridges were burned, wanting him back makes as much sense as wanting Fulmer back to coach the Vols (that is, none). Not his circus, not his monkeys.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:33 PM, Carey Mahoney said:

Nice post.  I do think Craigen built his teams more specifically for the small home ice, and that was good and bad at various times.  Also, Craigen's only team that received lots of penalties was last year.  That team thought they were super tough for some reason.  The team this year takes lots of bad stick infractions, not so much rough stuff.  Craigen's teams would finish checks normally, though.  This team does not do that most games.  I think the most accurate thing you've said is that Carr has no strategy for dealing with in-season roster needs (call-ups).  He has looked lost when his roster needed repair or change.  I hope he figures that out.  If not, I'm just afraid that we'll be starting over again next year.  If that happens again, they have to find a proven coach of some sort and step away from the developmental philosophy in regards to coaching hires.

Totally agree. Coach Carr is a very nice guy and absolutely passionate about hockey, but it boggles the mind that we got an "ECHL coach" that seems to have zero connections to the ECHL.

12 hours ago, Speedracer said:

There. Said it. Done.

Never really argued that I "wanted" Craigen back.  Just mentioned I'd take him over this guy.  It's like choosing Gonorrhea or Syphillis at this point.

35 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

... It's like choosing Gonorrhea or Syphillis at this point.

I never knew I had a choice.  :hmm:

10 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

I never knew I had a choice.  :hmm:

Neither do Ice Bears fans.  We just know it hurts to pee.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Technically, he spent one season as an assistant coach in the ECHL after several years coaching juniors.

True, but the Ice Bears was touting Coach Carr's ECHL credentials when he was introduced, and he himself made a big deal of his connections to the NHL (his relationship with Tony Granato) in his introduction speech.