Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Soft and boring

25 posts in this topic

That's the brand of Hockey we're going to have under this regime and that sucks because numbers are going to begin to dwindle. I hate being negative but those are the facts our guys are undersized and Ftorex is trying to re-invent the minor league game with a finesse brand of Hockey. Seriously, this team make the women's national team look like the Hanson brothers. There's no high energy guy on this team and it's like they skate around in a daze. This thing is teetering and we saw a similar brand of Hockey when the vipers were in town. 

So for all of you in the know, did ownership sign off on this brand? Is it their doing or is it Ftorex? I'm going again tonight, reluctantly and much like Thursday it should be a good place to take a nap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

That's the brand of Hockey we're going to have under this regime and that sucks because numbers are going to begin to dwindle. I hate being negative but those are the facts our guys are undersized and Ftorex is trying to re-invent the minor league game with a finesse brand of Hockey. Seriously, this team make the women's national team look like the Hanson brothers. There's no high energy guy on this team and it's like they skate around in a daze. This thing is teetering and we saw a similar brand of Hockey when the vipers were in town. 

So for all of you in the know, did ownership sign off on this brand? Is it their doing or is it Ftorex? I'm going again tonight, reluctantly and much like Thursday it should be a good place to take a nap.

Great points.  I am also one who hates being negative about the team.  We put up with lackluster hockey just about the whole year last year.  I didnt say many bad things about it, we were an expansion team.  But before this year we hear how Roanoke is a great place to play.  Everybody wants to come to Roanoke, yet we keep almost our whole team from last year.  We are just as bad, if not worse this year.  I keep hearing our coach in interviews saying we are in every game.  We havent been in every game.  If we have been, we would have won a game in regulation by now.  So far we are a franchise of bad streaks you dont want.  It took us over a year, a whole season and a few more games into this season to finally win a game when outshooting an opponent.  Id like to see some stats on that, but I wouldnt think it was even possible before it happened.  This year, we are 10 weeks into the season and still have yet to win a game in regulation.  I mean I would think even if the guy who drives the zamboni would have been coaching our team we would atleast have one win in regulation.  But I can take losing, but like HockeyRoanoke mentioned the games are not entertaining at all on the ice.  We dont play physical or check anybody.  Ever since we started, our passing and break out system from our own zone has always been horrendous.  We play no defense.  Our players are always out of position, giving up odd man rushes and breakaways constantly.  We have no forecheck or backcheck.  We have no one that goes to the front of the opposing teams net to screen the goalie and tap in rebounds.  We have no one that helps our goalies clearing guys out for them to see.  They make saves constantly, sometimes 2,3,4,5 or 6 saves at a time with nobody to clear the puck out of the zone.  Im not claiming to be a hockey coach but these are just somethings wrong im seeing.  If there is something anybody doesnt agree with me about let me know.  I can take some criticism about my opinions.  But the biggest thing for me is no improvement whatsoever from game to game.  Every once in a blue moon they will play a great game.  You will be thinking, damn where did that team come from.  Get your hopes up they might have put things together.  But then next game come out flat and they put you to sleep with their play again.  Im not sure if Ftorek doesnt like them playing physical and keeps them from fighting or what, but its ridiculous how they cant take up for one another.  Another play tonight, our goalie has the puck covered and huntsville guys all up on him sticking him trying to jar the puck loose.  Every team ive ever watched stuff like that would start a fight, taking up for your goalie.  You see no commeradery like that with the team.  Which shows the fans that either you have quit playing for your coach and team or you dont care what happens to them.  Atleast last year we seen instances of people taking up for one another, especially when we had big bad beirnsy!  But im for one, one of the biggest fans and will continue to be.  Im just scared we are going downhill fast and people will quit coming to the games, because like HockeyRoanoke said most the hockey games are a place to take a good nap.  I just hope something changes before people quit showing up and its too late.  Sorry about the long post and i know im all over the place with my rant.  But that is just my 2 cents about it.

• Like 1

Awards

The decision is left up to the coach on how to play but losing isn't. After this weekend some conversations need to be had about our plans to get out of this mess. No issues with losing games and I have no problems with coach sticking with a philosophy  (not sure I see it exactly anyway) but at this point you just need to win. We don't get points for losing playing fast flowing hockey, but you do for winning ugly (I'll take that please). Fans won't really care if they see the players giving everything they have and losing but nobody can tolerate giving up so many shots per game and not fighting back that's disrespectful. Nothing about this can't be fixed and I have no doubt it will get resolved but it needs to be sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

And another thing, where's the damn pride in our players. I've seen countless times where our players have been called out by the opposing team for being chicken sh!t. I've never seen anything like this, it's like they're playing in the no check league they put on for the senior citizens 

Edited by HockeyRoanoke

It also starts with the leadership on the ice. We have a captain who just wraps his arms around the opposing players when they poke our goalie and then just smiles at them. The other night the Birmingham captain was right in the middle of stuff,   sticking up for his guys anytime there were any scrums.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

And another thing, where's the damn pride in our players. I've seen countless times where our players have been called out by the opposing team for being chicken sh!t. I've never seen anything like this, it's like they're playing in the no check league they put on for the senior citizens 

Thats what I would like to know.  Is this Ftoreks big master plan to let teams run over us and do nothing about it and not play physical hockey?  Im really starting to wonder now that we have mitchell vandergunst and havent seen him lay someone out with a check yet or even get into a little skirmish.  I remember he played against us and checked like crazy. Fought like crazy. Even hits that drew bad penalties.  Im just wondering if Ftorek has put his foot down about his physical play or what.  First 2 games ive seen from him isnt what i remember.  Maybe someone who has seen him in action with their team can fill us in on how he usually plays?

Awards

Guys, Ftorek has this under control. He is ushering in a new era of hockey where instead of being aggressive you're nice to the opponents. Of course there will be some growing pains but in a few years Roanoke will be the top team. Have any of you ever seen the Miracle movie about the 1980 Olympic games? Remember how much team USA struggled but then eventually won it all? Ftorek has a plan and it will work. He and his family are such great people.

4 minutes ago, robard said:

Guys, Ftorek has this under control. He is ushering in a new era of hockey where instead of being aggressive you're nice to the opponents. Of course there will be some growing pains but in a few years Roanoke will be the top team. Have any of you ever seen the Miracle movie about the 1980 Olympic games? Remember how much team USA struggled but then eventually won it all? Ftorek has a plan and it will work. He and his family are such great people.

lmao you killing me with that nice guy routine.  But so far what ive seen, if we could pull off winning it all this year, we might just have the biggest miracle on ice!!!

Awards

21 minutes ago, robard said:

Are you serious Clarke? 

11 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Are you serious Clarke? 

lmao No he's not serious.  He just got his feelings hurt with people telling him not to talk bad about the team.  But they are playing so bad now, those people have withered away into the oblivion!

Awards

50 minutes ago, robard said:

28 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Are you serious Clarke? 

14 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

lmao No he's not serious.  He just got his feelings hurt with people telling him not to talk bad about the team. ...

I'm gonna nominate robard for an SPHL Forums Academy Award: "Best Actor or Actress in a Hockey Tragedy." curtsey.gif

• Like 1

It just boggles my mind how many people preface everything they say about the team with “_______ is such a great person with a great family.” I really don’t care how nice or great anyone in the Rail Yard Dawgs organization is off the ice. So many people use that as an excuse. “Well the team is terrible and has not improved at all but they’re all great people.”

However, I will say that is refreshing to see a player that is nice and all of that. I read that article about Dennis Sicard. Now, if most players on Roanoke were like him I would not complain. He seems like a great guy AND he plays with intensity. On the other hand, someone like Riley Spraggs, he may be nice but he’s slow, not aggressive, and doesn’t really try unless he has the puck. As much hype that surrounds that guy, you’d think he had 45 points this season. I’m sorry that I’m not the biggest fan of Spraggs. 

Roanoke desperately needs a dynamic player. 

Edited by robard

4 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

What is a Ftorex? Coach sure ain't havin' his players play like raptors!

27 minutes ago, robard said:

It just boggles my mind how many people preface everything they say about the team with “_______ is such a great person with a great family.” I really don’t care how nice or great anyone in the Rail Yard Dawgs organization is off the ice. So many people use that as an excuse. “Well the team is terrible and has not improved at all but they’re all great people.”

However, I will say that is refreshing to see a player that is nice and all of that. I read that article about Dennis Sicard. Now, if most players on Roanoke were like him I would not complain. He seems like a great guy AND he plays with intensity. On the other hand, someone like Riley Spraggs, he may be nice but he’s slow, not aggressive, and doesn’t really try unless he has the puck. As much hype that surrounds that guy, you’d think he had 45 points this season. I’m sorry that I’m not the biggest fan of Spraggs. 

Roanoke desperately needs a dynamic player. 

In my opinion our best chance for one was the guy Ftorek sent packing to Macon.  He had the speed and was by far the fastest skater in the league, which you cant teach.  He checked whoever was in his path.  He would always attack whoever had the puck.  Got more breakaways himself then we have probably had all year long.  All he needed to practice was puck control and his drive to the net moves to score.  Which he is only a rookie and just adjusting to professional hockey.  I find it a little weird he played 2 exhibition games in Florida in the ECHL and scored a goal in each of the games.  Then gets to Roanoke and plays his butt off for 15 games for only 1 goal and 1 assist.  Then goes right into Macon and scores a goal and assist in his first game.  So 15 pro games in Roanoke for 1 goal and assist while with 3 games with other pro teams he scored 3 goals and 1 assist.  Then we waive Evan Schultz who goes to a Birmingham team that was struggling to get any offense whatsoever and has played 5 games with them and had 1 goal and 6 assists.  I dont think its just a coincidence players start flourishing when they get away from Roanoke.  But the bad thing with Schultz is he was producing while in Roanoke.  Played 5 games for us when he finished college last year with 3 assists.  This year he played 4 games with us before he was waived with 1 goal and 4 assists.  I just cant figure out our coaches thought process of who he trades and releases.  We still have forwards currently on our team that has played double the games or the whole season and has less points then Schultz did after 4 games.  Just boggles my mind some of the moves and trades he has made.

Awards

I'm just frustrated and sincerely considering not going back after tonight until they decide to put an acceptable product on the ice. I can handle losing if the entertainment is there but let's be honest these guys won't even get within a foot of the boards in fear of being hit. Go get a guy or 2 from the LNAH, I know it's not popular but damn these guys need some energy around them. I equate the Vandergunst signing to Ftorex buying a gun but never loading it. Let that guy lose man! 

16 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Let that guy lose man! 

He IS!!! On the other hand, he MIGHT let him loose (but unlikely based on all the comments above and in other thread in this Roanoke forum).

2 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

What is a Ftorex? Coach sure ain't havin' his players play like raptors!

28 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Wow never thought that was something real.  My guess was our coach mixed in with Kotex feminine products.

Awards

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Great points.  I am also one who hates being negative about the team.  We put up with lackluster hockey just about the whole year last year.  I didnt say many bad things about it, we were an expansion team.  But before this year we hear how Roanoke is a great place to play.  Everybody wants to come to Roanoke, yet we keep almost our whole team from last year.  We are just as bad, if not worse this year.  I keep hearing our coach in interviews saying we are in every game.  We havent been in every game.  If we have been, we would have won a game in regulation by now.  So far we are a franchise of bad streaks you dont want.  It took us over a year, a whole season and a few more games into this season to finally win a game when outshooting an opponent.  Id like to see some stats on that, but I wouldnt think it was even possible before it happened.  This year, we are 10 weeks into the season and still have yet to win a game in regulation.  I mean I would think even if the guy who drives the zamboni would have been coaching our team we would atleast have one win in regulation.  But I can take losing, but like HockeyRoanoke mentioned the games are not entertaining at all on the ice.  We dont play physical or check anybody.  Ever since we started, our passing and break out system from our own zone has always been horrendous.  We play no defense.  Our players are always out of position, giving up odd man rushes and breakaways constantly.  We have no forecheck or backcheck.  We have no one that goes to the front of the opposing teams net to screen the goalie and tap in rebounds.  We have no one that helps our goalies clearing guys out for them to see.  They make saves constantly, sometimes 2,3,4,5 or 6 saves at a time with nobody to clear the puck out of the zone.  Im not claiming to be a hockey coach but these are just somethings wrong im seeing.  If there is something anybody doesnt agree with me about let me know.  I can take some criticism about my opinions.  But the biggest thing for me is no improvement whatsoever from game to game.  Every once in a blue moon they will play a great game.  You will be thinking, damn where did that team come from.  Get your hopes up they might have put things together.  But then next game come out flat and they put you to sleep with their play again.  Im not sure if Ftorek doesnt like them playing physical and keeps them from fighting or what, but its ridiculous how they cant take up for one another.  Another play tonight, our goalie has the puck covered and huntsville guys all up on him sticking him trying to jar the puck loose.  Every team ive ever watched stuff like that would start a fight, taking up for your goalie.  You see no commeradery like that with the team.  Which shows the fans that either you have quit playing for your coach and team or you dont care what happens to them.  Atleast last year we seen instances of people taking up for one another, especially when we had big bad beirnsy!  But im for one, one of the biggest fans and will continue to be.  Im just scared we are going downhill fast and people will quit coming to the games, because like HockeyRoanoke said most the hockey games are a place to take a good nap.  I just hope something changes before people quit showing up and its too late.  Sorry about the long post and i know im all over the place with my rant.  But that is just my 2 cents about it.

Hey Greg, I was looking through some games from last year, and I had to ask. How in the world did Roanoke manage to get outshot 63-21 by Pensacola February 4, 2017? You guys won that game, but gracious alive, 63-21.

4 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Hey Greg, I was looking through some games from last year, and I had to ask. How in the world did Roanoke manage to get outshot 63-21 by Pensacola February 4, 2017? You guys won that game, but gracious alive, 63-21.

Ryan de Melo standing on his head stopping everything.

Awards

1 minute ago, Greg81102 said:

Ryan de Melo standing on his head stopping everything.

LOL! Geez, that's a lot of shots. I bet he was tired beyond belief afterwards.

2 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

LOL! Geez, that's a lot of shots. I bet he was tired beyond belief afterwards.

If your a goaltender for the Dawgs you have to have good stamina.  You never have an easy night.  Shot after shot rebound after rebound.  Then you got to do it without seeing anything.  Nobody will clear anybody out in front of the net.  Last year de Melo would get pissed and start clearing them out himself.  He just didnt come back with the same fire he did last year.  He was a feisty one last year.

Awards

9 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

If your a goaltender for the Dawgs you have to have good stamina.  You never have an easy night.  Shot after shot rebound after rebound.  Then you got to do it without seeing anything.  Nobody will clear anybody out in front of the net.  Last year de Melo would get pissed and start clearing them out himself.  He just didnt come back with the same fire he did last year.  He was a feisty one last year.

Okay Greg, you asked and ye shall receive sir!

In 2016-17, Roanoke out shot opponents in 10 games, even shots in 1 game, and were out shot in 45 games.

In the 10 games the RYD's out shot opponents, the Dawgs were 0-8-2.

In the 1 game where shots are even, the Dawgs are were 0-0-1.

In the 45 games where the RYD's were out shot by opponents, the Dawgs were 17-22-6.

So far in 2017-18, Roanoke out shot opponents in 7 games and were out shot in 10 games.

In the 7 games where the RYD's out shot opponents, the Dawgs are 3-4-0.

In the 10 games where the RYD's were out shot, the Dawgs are 2-6-2.

Since the Dawgs entered the SPHL, they are as follows:

3-12-2 when out shooting opponents,

0-0-1 when shots are even, and

19-28-8 when being out shot by opponents.

I hope this is what you were looking for!